Just Bought CPS, Still Won't Crank.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Just Bought CPS, Still Won't Crank. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Earlier on this forum, I was researching an issue where my '99 Catera would crank, but not start. A previous ...
    moerome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Catera

Just Bought CPS, Still Won't Crank.

Earlier on this forum, I was researching an issue where my '99 Catera would crank, but not start. A previous post suggested that the crankshaft position sensor needs to be replaced.

So, I went out to the dealership and got a CPS for $45.00 + tax. I was pretty simple to install with the exception of dealing with tight spaces.

Once installed (at 11:30 am), it cranked up immediately and the Check Engine light went out. Everything was fine until 4:00 pm. I was preparing to leave the petrol station when the car wouldn't start!!!! I had to sit there for about 45 minutes before I could get it started again.

Once it started, I headed straight home. And, once again, the Check Engine light was on. I took a quick look underneath to ensure I had the CPS on both ends plugged in and secured.

Could it be that the CPS I bought was bad from the git go?!?!?!? Please advise. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Just Bought CPS, Still Won't Crank.

Here's the latest update on my '99 Cat issue............................

Was able to get it started and ran it up to AutoZone for a scan. It came up with a P0603 troubleshooting error. Further delving revealed that this code was referring to a "Keep Alive Memory" error.

The guy at AutoZone said that I would have to take it to the dealership to have it reset. So, I put my emotions in check and went to the dealership with error code in hand.

When I arrived at the Service Department, I ran down to them the symptoms (crank but won't start), what I did (installed a new crankshaft position sensor), and the results (runs for a little bit, then quits). When I queried them on the error code, you would have thought that I had shined a bright spot light on a herd of deer grazing in the darkness. One of the service guys recovered just enough to do a quick check and tell me that either I need to have a "Idle Relearn" done on the car (cost -- about $73.00) or possibly the Electronic Control Module (ECM) needs to be replaced (cost -- about $300.00 to $400.00).

Quite naturally I went for the first option to perform a idle relearn. Hopefully, that's all that is needed.

BTW: If in case the ECM has to be replaced, is there somewhere I can get it at a reasonable cost, and are there any instructions on installing it myself?

Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Re: Just Bought CPS, Still Won't Crank.

Okay, it ended up being another crankshaft position sensor replacement. Since I had purchased the previous from them, it was still under warranty. However, before I could tell the dealership that I would pick it up and put one it on myself, they had already installed it. Hence, I ended up paying for labor. At least it wasn't something worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.