Vacuum Line Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Vacuum Line Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm trying to finish up a timing belt / valve cover seal replacement job and ran into a little problem. ...
    Catera10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Vacuum Line Question

I'm trying to finish up a timing belt / valve cover seal replacement job and ran into a little problem.

Although I've had the intake plenum, intake manifold, etc., off this car in the past to replace the oil cooler, I don't remember seeing the "stub" of a vacuum line in the attached image.

One side of that "T" goes to the little vacuum tank that sits low on the intake tubes (down by the radiator). The other side of the "T" goes to the passenger side of the firewall. The stub just in front of the screwdriver blade is open to atmosphere - I've removed the "T" and verified all the paths are open.

Surely this isn't correct - but I can't find any other loose vacuum lines which might attach to the stub. I have a factory manual set, but can't find a vacuum routing diagram in there - if somebody can tell me what this should be connected to, or point me to the diagram in the manual set, I'll be forever grateful.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Vacuum Line Question

Found it. That is supposed to connect to an extension of the vacuum booster check valve. The extension snapped off. I'll either have to buy a new check valve, or try to repair this one by bonding a short piece of tubing in there.

barryr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS & 2000 Catara

I used fake nail glue and the fix is holding up well.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Happens all the time.
    You need about a foot and a half of some special vacuum hose and a new check valve.
    You have to slice the sections of old tubing off the ends and cut the vacuum hose which has a wire inside it to keep it from collapsing.
    The new check valve comes with a small white cap you need to break off for the 2nd vacuum line. (some cars don't use the 2nd line so it is capped)
    It is a pain in the butt really.
    Plus the hose is fairly pricey.
    I replaced one last week and another one today.

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just curious that what exactly this vaccum line does.

I repaired it by drilling the remaining stub out to 1/8" to accept some 1/8" OD vacuum line I had in the parts drawer. I bonded this in the check valve, leaving about 1" exposed. And then used some rubber vacuum line to couple that to the existing "T". Works great.

As to the purpose of the line: because it goes to the firewall, I suspect it supplies vacuum to the HVAC system. Once I fixed it, I quit worrying about the function!

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

This is the vac feed for the multiram (get it working and you get MUCH more go unbder 4000rpm) and the internal heater controls....

If I see a broken one I drill out the stub on the valve to the same diameter as a piece of teh vac line, I then liberate a 1inch (note I use the very old fashioned units here for clarity ) piece of vac line from a slack section and insert it into the hole and apply an epoxy around the outer edge (rough the plastic first)......jobs a good un....

mytmous is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I broke mine also when doing the valve covers, I know a junkyard here that has a few cat's, so I just took one off of one of them. cost me $2, as to the dealer, they can kiss it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.