Timing Belt Service
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Timing Belt Service in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My wife's '01 sport has crossed the 50k mile mark, and I'd like to have the timing belt replaced, but ...
    2001sport is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Timing Belt Service

My wife's '01 sport has crossed the 50k mile mark, and I'd like to have the timing belt replaced, but have a few questions first:

1) Can just the belt be changed, or are the pulleys and tensioner also mandatory? If not, is there an easy way to tell what will be necessary?

2) Many have suggested replacing the water pump during this service due to the easy access. Before i spend $80 on a new pump for the heck of it, is there a way to determine if it actually needs replacing, or do these water pumps have a typical service life, e.g. 50k miles?

3) Do these quotes sound reasonable?
    Timing belt only - $99 for the part, $350 labor so $450 overall.
    Full timing belt kit - $654 for the part, $420 labor, so $875 overall.
    (Two dealers I called wanted more than $1k for the job.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Warez is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Timing Belt Service

From my understanding it is the tensioner and not the belt that usually fails. So best to replace everything.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...e=omega+timing

The complete kits only cost ~$150 in the UK.

Plenty of people have changed the belts themselves, its not very difficult.

Marks DTM Calib is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vaux Omega (Caterra)

Those quotes are a disgrace....how they can justify an extra 70 dollars labour for the full kit which only involves removing 3 bolts and re-fitting them I dont know............

And the price of the full kit is shocking.....

I recommend replacing the pump at least every 'other' belt change....

Thanks for the replies, fellas.
    I am determined to find the kit for less, but am having some issues. The Cadillac part# that is quoted at $650 is 9201887.
    Can anyone explain what the difference is between this and these others:

RockAuto has 3 items for the '01 Catera timing belt kit:
    - Gates TCK285 (1 belt, 1 tensioner, 2 idlers) for $177 (Probably equivalent to the ebay UK kit above, and close to the same cost when you factor in shipping overseas)
    - ACDELCO TCK285 (same as above) #19107100 for $194
    - ACDELCO TCK285A #19107101 for $280
    Can I assume the first two are basically the same?
    Why $100 more for the last one?

I also came across these potential GM part numbers:
    55352001 (tensioner, belt, pulley and water pump)
    55352044 (same as above without the water pump)

Any clues as to what I should be going after? Thanks again in advance from the land of confusion...

P.S. I know a lot of people do their own work here, but I simply can't for a variety of reasons (limited knowledge, limited tools, very limited time). Is it usually difficult to find a mechanic who is willing to install parts purchased elsewhere? My usual guy will not period due to "liability issues", whereas one of the dealers will but won't guarantee the work, so I'm a little hesitant.

barryr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS & 2000 Catara

Have you had the dealer run your VIN for the recall? In Michigan all Catera's were covered by the recall.

As a matter of fact, yes. The dealer told me they only replaced the water pump. No tensioner or belt replacement - just an inspection.

KnockOut is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

*Hey man - I actually had my tensioner pulley fall apart on me... I noticed somebody else had mentioned this and I was wondering - is this common in MOST cars, or have a lot of people had this problem with thier Catera specifically?

It happens when the belt and tensioners are not changed every 40K miles or 4 years.....

A quick update: RockAuto says the TCK285 parts are only for '97-'98, while the TCK285A is for '99 and up.

Correct, in mid 97/98 the tensioenr back plate and lower right idler positions were changed.....this affected the belt markinsg to which is why on some after market kits you will see two different coloured sets of marks on the belt....

After some more digging, I think I have this all figured out. Part #9201887 includes the entire tensioner casting (like this), which is why it is so expensive.

Part #55352001 includes 1 tensioner pulley, '99-'01 belt, water pump w/seal.
    Part #55352044 includes 1 tensioner pulley and '99-'01 belt (no water pump).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the problem with the pulleys and water pump? At least, that is what the bulletin indicates.

Seeing as how my dealer replaced the water pump at 14k during the recall, I should be ok with 55352044, right? (at 51k now). Or would I be better off replacing the water pump again? It's less than a $35 difference in parts, but I'd prefer not to buy anything unnecessary.

A few people on the Yahoo forum apparently had this same problem - for whatever, reason, the dealers are calling up 9201887 as the correct part, when all that is really needed is the lesser kit. If anyone can verify or correct this info., I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.