Want A Cadillac Diesel With 6-speed Manual?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Want A Cadillac Diesel With 6-speed Manual? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Then go to England. I was surfing the net and ran across the animal on: AutoMotoPortal.com - automotive industry portal ...
    Rick186 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Want A Cadillac Diesel With 6-speed Manual?

Then go to England.
    I was surfing the net and ran across the animal on:
    AutoMotoPortal.com - automotive industry portal
    and saw the critter called the
    Cadillac BLS
    It's a Front Drive vehicle with gas or diesel power. The diesel is a 1.9 liter, Cummins, 4 cylinder Turbodiesel, available with automatic or 6 speed manual.
    The gasoline version is a 255 hp. V-6, available with manual or or automatic.
    It looks like the BLS has been in England since 2005.
    There are also some interesting articles about GM expanding with a Chevrolet plant in St. Petersburg - and I don't mean in Florida.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Want A Cadillac Diesel With 6-speed Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick186 View Post
    Then go to England.
    I was surfing the net and ran across the animal on:
    AutoMotoPortal.com - automotive industry portal
    and saw the critter called the
    Cadillac BLS
    It's a Front Drive vehicle with gas or diesel power. The diesel is a 1.9 liter, Cummins, 4 cylinder Turbodiesel, available with automatic or 6 speed manual.
    The gasoline version is a 255 hp. V-6, available with manual or or automatic.
    It looks like the BLS has been in England since 2005.
    There are also some interesting articles about GM expanding with a Chevrolet plant in St. Petersburg - and I don't mean in Florida.
    Hi Rick, the Cadillac BLS hit the showrooms in Europe in May this year!
    Four engines are available:

1.9 Ltr. diesel 150 hp - 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.0 Ltr. gasol. 175 hp - 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.0 Ltr. gasol. 210 hp - 6 speed mauual or 5 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.8 Ltr. gasol. 255 hp - 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto V6 cyl.

All engines are Turbo!

Hans

Hans -

Instead of the Catera, I am dumbfounded that something of the sort enjoyed by the Europeans hasn't been brought to the USA.

If Cadillac wanted to develop a "younger/sportier image" the Catera is, IMHO, not the way to do it. But the cars noted above sure would be.

Cadillac marketing and planning must, surely, be brain dead.

Talk about "Break Through."

Bleaghhhh!

My 'Old Man's Car,' 1995, Dark Blue, Fleeetwood Brougham, dusting a Lexus 300 from a stoplight, does more for Cadillac's image than dozens of
    "young people's" Cateras.

(I won't tell them I shut off the traction control and have a Carolina Performance Transmissions Stage II HydraMatic behind a 2,000 rpm converter behind the perfectly stock LT-1, if you don't )

Quote Originally Posted by Rick186 View Post
    Hans -

Instead of the Catera, I am dumbfounded that something of the sort enjoyed by the Europeans hasn't been brought to the USA.

If Cadillac wanted to develop a "younger/sportier image" the Catera is, IMHO, not the way to do it. But the cars noted above sure would be.

Cadillac marketing and planning must, surely, be brain dead.

Talk about "Break Through."

Bleaghhhh!

My 'Old Man's Car,' 1995, Dark Blue, Fleeetwood Brougham, dusting a Lexus 300 from a stoplight, does more for Cadillac's image than dozens of
    "young people's" Cateras.

(I won't tell them I shut off the traction control and have a Carolina Performance Transmissions Stage II HydraMatic behind a 2,000 rpm converter behind the perfectly stock LT-1, if you don't )
    Rick,
    wait 1-2 years and I think the BLS will also be available in the US, especially when gasoline prices keep on rising.
    Well, Catera is gone, replacement for this was the CTS and the CTS shows up with good sale numbers. The 250 K is already produced - that`s good!

LOL, I used to have a new dark red Fleetwood Brougham from 95 to 2000 and this car was absolutely great. I had no changes on but was able to beat many on stop lights. I had this one at my home in Fl. and replaced it with my 00 DTS which I brought to germany.

Have a nice sunday!!!!

Hans

Hans -
    >I got the Fleetwood - believe it or not - as a "tow vehicle" for our PopUp camper since I sent our big Dodge B250 van/wagon to my cousin's son-in-law's father. He is retired and his Ford pickup died and he needed something to use in his furniture refinishing business to supplement his meagre pension.
    >The Fleetwood is - in every sense - as much, if not more fun, than the 1960 Mercedes 220Sb I had from 1964 through 1998. That vehicle was sheer pleasure to drive, especially on long trips. One was from Milwaukee, WI to Hartford, CT, in one shot; 5AM to 9PM with stops along the way, of course, and I felt as fresh as a daisy at the end of the trip.
    >That was due to Mercedes "mystique" if calibrating spring rates in the vehicle all the way thru the seats (!) so that the driver is fatigued as little as possible.
    (The Star, the Mercedes club magazine, years ago had a long article about this)
    I find that the Cadillac seems to have the same type of sensation; not so cushy as one might think. Plus, it is unusually capable in the twisties, something that surprised me for a 2 1/2 ton beastie.
    It will not compare with my wife's sport model Dodge Stratus, (which eats BMWs in the twisties unless there is an usually capable driver) but is MOST respectible, nonetheless.

Cheers,

The Fleetwood with the LS1 - sure you can use it for towing, why not!

Oh Yeah, the 60`s, I still remember the old merc 220, my dad used to drive that time a Opel Kapitean, the Merc and the Opel was that time the biggest cars on the road in Germany.

Now back to diesel, as far as I`ve heard GM wants to put big diesels in the STS and SRX and CTS for Europe. They`ll plan to buy this engines from a german auto-maker. Still, I don`t like Diesels!!!!!!!

Hans

Cadillacboy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I hope they put a bid diesel engine to those models .I think that would boost the sales of Cadillac .
    BTW, I am not that harsh on diesel as I did in the past especially after winning 24HRS in Le Mans as well as huge success in American Le Mans Series

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    I hope they put a bid diesel engine to those models .I think that would boost the sales of Cadillac .
    BTW, I am not that harsh on diesel as I did in the past especially after winning 24HRS in Le Mans as well as huge success in American Le Mans Series
    Cadillacboy, I know the`ll get good gas mileage and also got pretty fast but I`ve made the experience when you fill them up on a gas-station, you smell like the gas station. Also when you start the cold engine they sound like a tractor.

Yes, they won this year at Le Mans but wasn`t quite as fast as the gasoline ones last year.

Hans

Cadillacboy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv View Post
    Cadillacboy, I know the`ll get good gas mileage and also got pretty fast but I`ve made the experience when you fill them up on a gas-station, you smell like the gas station. Also when you start the cold engine they sound like a tractor.

Yes, they won this year at Le Mans but wasn`t quite as fast as the gasoline ones last year.

Hans
    That's true but they had less pit stops that help them make some valuable times during races and I have to add something that I have seen on all the diesel engines is that when you floor the pedal ,a black smoke comes out of the engine (even these following premium diesel makers Mercedes E270 CDI,Audi A4 TDI,BMW 530D etc) that gives me some thought gasoline still the best . I also don't like the diesel engine sounds they are very itching
    However the gap has been very closed down between gasoline and diesel engine and unless we see a true Ferrari or Lamborghini diesel engines out

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The Audi R10 has won every race it's been in, even after they started to put fueling restrictors on them to even the playing field.

Besides my SLS, I also have a VW Jetta TDI with the 6 speed auto and guess what, no smoke. Diesel fuel has been changing and it's not what it used to be. The engine doesn't make a lot of noise either. My passengers don't even know it's a diesel unless I tell them.

You'll see more diesels popping up in the USA once the fuel changeover is done and I sure hope GM brings their diesels over from Europe.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Sad thing is, Cadillac still is not doing ANY advertising in Europe, so sales are L O W. That is very very sad for a pretty nice quality car the BLS is!

I drove the diesel and the 2.8 and I was quite impressed. For a european car it's perfect and it would well fit the small car niche in the US.

Just...damn it... make some advertising!!!! Nobody knows Cadillac here in Europe!!!!

Hammondsix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Fleetwood 94

An American swede from germany?

If we talk DIESEL, the MB 320 CDI would be the one for me. No SAAB based diesel caddillac with OPEL engines for me. Ill keep my 1994 FLEETWOOD for sunday trips to get icecream. It will be a classic by the time i can afford a new DIESEL

akimball442 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '81 CDV, '84 Olds 98 Coupe, '81 MB 300D,'73 450SL, '88 300SE

maybe I'm biased, but I love diesels. I am an electrical techincian for a bus dealership in upstate ny. They have come a long way. The new Cummins diesels are so quiet, you can barely hear them run... the loudest point is at the tail pipe. you can have a conversation over them with the lid off. That didnt used to be the case with the engine covered.

And GM's new duramax is the same story... that's a fantastic engine. It's quiet, and it is outstandingly powerful. I dont know what the particulars are, but it feels as good or better than a gasoline engine.

A friend of mine has a 2005 VW passat diesel.. I did not even know it was a diesel until he mentioned it. In this midsized smooth riding well built car, he gets 42 MPG on a trip. It has more than enough power, and it starts fine all winter, and if you know about upstate NY... that's impressive. We drop below freezing for months on end, and below 0 in his neck of the woods frequently.

Nothing wrong with diesels. They're better. Maybe not from a performance stand point... but for "regular driving" they should eliminate gas engines.

And you wont smell like the stuff if you wear gloves and be careful filling up.

laserguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade AWD Lux

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv View Post
    Hi Rick, the Cadillac BLS hit the showrooms in Europe in May this year!
    Four engines are available:

1.9 Ltr. diesel 150 hp - 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.0 Ltr. gasol. 175 hp - 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.0 Ltr. gasol. 210 hp - 6 speed mauual or 5 speed auto 4 cyl.
    2.8 Ltr. gasol. 255 hp - 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto V6 cyl.

All engines are Turbo!

Hans
    Buying a Cadillac with a diesel engine with only 150Hp ??? ...is like putting a rubber band on your Rolex.... If You want to save money...don't buy a Cadillac... go for a Skoda or Seat.....

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by laserguy View Post
    Buying a Cadillac with a diesel engine with only 150Hp ??? ...is like putting a rubber band on your Rolex.... If You want to save money...don't buy a Cadillac... go for a Skoda or Seat.....
    update: the diesel has 180hp now.
    And you get more exclusive luxury in the BLS than in a SEAT! So the BLS is indeed not the kinda car you buy when you want an economy car.

The car is small enough for even 150 hp. I drove almost 220 km/h with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.