Will the BLS Hurt Cadillac in Europe? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Will the BLS Hurt Cadillac in Europe? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I dont think europeans dont like american cars. There are lots of people, who like US cars. It is not ...
    vanaisa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): `65 DeVille Convertible´67 Eldorado,´02 DHS

Re: Will the BLS Hurt Cadillac in Europe?

I dont think europeans dont like american cars. There are lots of people, who like US cars. It is not problem at all, that handling and suspension have different feel. It is just different ideology. But bad service, lack of parts and professional repairmen - those are problems.
    BLS will sell very good if it is Cadillac, stands in front of salons, not hidden behind Opels and Saabs, like now.
    And even more, when it gets diesel engine - europe loves smell of diesel
    And yes - Cimarron is pos - everyone know here, that they were just rebadged (and crappy) opels.
    Just my opinion.....

mccombie_5 is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by vanaisa
    I dont think europeans dont like american cars. There are lots of people, who like US cars. It is not problem at all, that handling and suspension have different feel. It is just different ideology. But bad service, lack of parts and professional repairmen - those are problems.
    BLS will sell very good if it is Cadillac, stands in front of salons, not hidden behind Opels and Saabs, like now.
    And even more, when it gets diesel engine - europe loves smell of diesel
    And yes - Cimarron is pos - everyone know here, that they were just rebadged (and crappy) opels.
    Just my opinion.....
    Well this is why i think it will be a seller. The Saab and opel platforms are EXCELLENT on European roads, and the saab is very dynamic, so it makes sense to put a Cadillac body over underpinnings already set for UK and EU roads. That means it is already right. That is why the STS had sales issues, in fact, it was a huge flop. It was not meant for UK and EU roads. It was brought straight from the US where steering doesnt need to be as sharp as it does here, there are fewer tight corners in the US. etc etc.

The Saab 9-3 platform is ready, why not drop a cadillac body onto it, and also, if a FWD platform is no good, why does the 9-3 even exist? It competes well with the three series and C class, its just low volume.

With greatest respect, you guys accross the pond do not know how to set a car up for European roads. And if you have a company within your corporation that does, why not utilise this?

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=1197#

This looks like the production version, which will be debuting at the Frankfurt Show. I don't like the grille.

I cant wait for the pricing. I will be buying the 210hp model

Obviously if its the right price

Quote Originally Posted by mccombie_5
    I cant wait for the pricing. I will be buying the 210hp model

Obviously if its the right price
    Here's a little more info for you MC....

http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=1197

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Here's a little more info for you MC....

http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=1197
    It doesnt load.....

Nevermind slow computer

It doesnt load.....
    It does for me. Just go to autoindex.com and I think it was on the news page....or maybe try later...it did seem to slow down..

255bhp with a 6 Speed Manual Tranny!!

ee-yessss!

255bhp with a 6 Speed Manual Tranny!!

ee-yessss!

It finally loaded I see.......as soon as I see something on prices, I'll post it.

I don't think this car would do good in NA, unless someone was a Saab fan, but they don't do that well here.

We already have the CTS, and it's just too similar and not a real Caddy to begin with..

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    It finally loaded I see.......as soon as I see something on prices, I'll post it.

I don't think this car would do good in NA, unless someone was a Saab fan, but they don't do that well here.

We already have the CTS, and it's just too similar and not a real Caddy to begin with..
    Yeah i agree it wouldnt sell there. It will probably seel as much as the Saab does here. Im looking forward to it.

They made a wise move basing it on the Saab. No offence intended but America cant build cars for European roads.

Johan Ahlqvist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): -05 CTS-V, -55 Coupé deVille

Hello!
    I writing from Gothenburg, Sweden. I live close to the Saab plant and I must say that Cadillac name will be hurt of this car. I Sweden Saab is a car for your grandfather, a boring car with shit quality. Cadillac stands for the American dream great cars with alot off comfort. But GM is doing it with Chevrolet here in Sweden Daewoo is Chevrolet so why don´t cal Saab for Cadillac. If Cadillac want to be like Mercedes and BMW they realy have to stop this car and deliver real Cadillacs with real quality. Nobody will be foold by this Saabillac.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Here's another overseas opinion to backup my European buddy

The sizes of the roads have nothing to do with the choice of size. American cars always have been bigger, but we have trucks and busses here too. It has more to do with our taxsystem. You pay more monthly road tax (something you don't have in the US) the heavier your car is and the bigger the engine displacement. You had and have to be a 'big spender' to afford an American car.
    Well, most of the square 80's and 90's US designs were absolutely not appealing to the Europeans if you also have to bear more financial load. This is an image that has been built up for a very long time and thus persisting.
    This road tax expires after 25 years. Your car is then concidered a classic. So the Old classic US cars you see more and more over here. Myself I have shipped my 70 Eldorado from California to Holland after I drove it for half a year in AZ when I was in flight school.
    I was never really interested in any other American car, until Cadillac came out with their new stealth design. The CTS is in the BMW 3, Audi A4, Mercedes C section and does well. Finally Cadillac nailed it to have a (to European stadards) big engine displacement but with a good fuel efficiency.
    Do you remeber the Catera? It was based on the Opel Omega platform. A little pimped up, but not really attractive to the US market it seemed. And there has been a lot of (international) platform swapping in the past among other brands.
    Also Chrysler has (always had) a succesful base in Europe. They always seem to have models that appealed to European standards and there are also models and packages that were never released in the US and vise versa. They recently created the Crossblade out of European standards. I think it looks nice.

Chrysler always had their own dealership. But Chevy and Cadillac could only be accuired through the Opel Dealer who, actually, knew jack sh*t about it. Not too surprising, also the workshop quality could be questionable and parts had long delivery time. All in all, not so good for the US car image...

The BLS could be a very important and successful step of Cadillac to set foot in Europe. Based on the Saab 93 platform it already has a European feel. But the CTS is a head turner here too! People are just surprised it's a Cadillac!!! Cadillac has no commercials here and only the freaks (like me) know about (the new and improved) Cadillac. Indeed, IMO, standard of the world again. I am only one of hundreds CTS drivers in Germany and Holland. It is almost an event when I meet a fellow CTS driver on the road. We salute eachother!

Anyway, the start is there. The attention of the people is there. As their curiosity rizes when they see a CTS and want to know what car it is (I love it when I see people in the car behind me at traffic lights lean over their steering wheel trying to read the small Cadillac badge! You can see them frown and say C-a-d-i-l-l-a-c ???). Could be a tactic, but I would like to see some commercials for Cadillac too. The BLS is in European standards a very appealing car! BLS, CTS and STS are something like nothing else out here.

And by the way, I LOVE my CTS!

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

How can the BLS "hurt" Cadillac in Europe? Sales are so small now that there is nowhere to go but up. And, remember the first Lexus ES250 in the early 90's? It was a rebadged Camry of the day. That didn't hurt Lexus any. And its important I think to say that the BLS is not a "rebadge". It sports its own sheet metal. Its not, say, a Zephyr. That shares all exterior door and roof sheetmetal and all glass with 2 cheaper cars.

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee
    How can the BLS "hurt" Cadillac in Europe? Sales are so small now that there is nowhere to go but up. And, remember the first Lexus ES250 in the early 90's? It was a rebadged Camry of the day. That didn't hurt Lexus any. And its important I think to say that the BLS is not a "rebadge". It sports its own sheet metal. Its not, say, a Zephyr. That shares all exterior door and roof sheetmetal and all glass with 2 cheaper cars.
    Then why did Lexus kill it off only a few years later? Lexus was a totally new brand back and buyers had no preconceptions. Generally speaking, Europeans are not easily fooled and tend to be more fussy about their vehicles. They are more impressed by HISTORY of a vehicles bloodline, and Lexus does not have this lineage compared to the century old Cadillac brand. Which is why Lexus does not sell that well in Europe.

So when Europe is sent a "phoney" Cadillac, and it costs as much as a BMW 3 series or more, which do you think they will buy? A genuine, distinct Cadillac would be more successful, and won't start the brand off on a bad foot as they re-introduce it to Europe.

Go back and re-read the whole thread.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.