Winter Tyres
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Winter Tyres in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As I sit here waiting for the impending snow fall, I wonder please if any of our Swedish/Norwegian/German and indeed ...
    ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

Winter Tyres

As I sit here waiting for the impending snow fall, I wonder please if any of our Swedish/Norwegian/German and indeed any other 'Northern Europe' friends could advise me on what size wheels/tyres they have currently fitted.

I'm assuming of course that specifically the countries I have just mentioned, that winter tyres are a legal requirement in your own country during winter time? In the UK, they are not a legal requirement although there is a growing band of people here who accept that winter tyre use in the UK is a sensible option. Indeed, I have bought a complete set of brand new steel wheels shod with Vredestein Snowtrac 3 tyres for my wife's car following the ridiculous time we had during the winter of 2011 when we had to leave her car parked half a mile away from the house for several days because we couldn't access our street due to significant snowfall and the fact that our local Highways department did not lay salt/grit.

Anyway back to the BLS. Last year I purchased a 'as new' complete and genuine Cadillac 16 inch alloy wheel fitted with a decent Goodyear summer tyre, size 215/55/R16 93V, which had been removed from a crash damaged BLS. I bought it to use as a spare because my BLS did not come with a spare wheel, just a can of useless tyre foam. My BLS is fitted with 17 inch alloys with tyre size 235/45/R17 94W. I want to buy a complete set of steel wheels in 16 inch size. At the moment, I am investigating whether GM Vauxhall (OPEL) Vectra/Signum/Zafira steel wheels, will fit my BLS, because I can buy either used steel wheels from a scrapyard or brand new wheels (without tyres) for GBP 59 from a Vauxhall dealer. Obviously I understand that Saab 9-3 wheels will fit the BLS, but steel wheels for the Saab don't appear easy to source here, only alloys. The purpose of me mentioning my spare wheel, is because I am using it as a size comparison/template and figure that as it came off a BLS that would be the best wheel/tyre size configuration to use. Also, my Cadillac handbook refers to that configuration for winter use but it also mentions tyre profile sizes of 215/60/R16 and 225/55/R16.

So from a choice of three slightly different tyre profile sizes on a 16 inch wheel, please if someone could tell me what size profile winter tyres they are using and what tyre brand they are, it would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

Re: Winter Tyres

Well the snow has now arrived, and you haven't had any answers yet. I too would be very interested in hearing about steel/winter tyre options. We do the same thing with a BMW X5 and swap them over when temperatures drop consistently below 7 degrees C until about March. In the meantime I keep a set of snow socks, a compact shovel and some warm gear in the boot of my Cadillac.

Oh well, it looks like there are no BLS owners running winter tyres in Northern Europe!

Please, if there is someone out there who can help me with the question I started in this thread, it would be appreciated.

BLS_1.9_TiD_Sweden is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

Quote Originally Posted by ExRPO1 View Post
    Oh well, it looks like there are no BLS owners running winter tyres in Northern Europe!

Please, if there is someone out there who can help me with the question I started in this thread, it would be appreciated.
    Hi ExRPO1, when I bought my BLS (new in feb. 2007), I got winter tires as well, Cadillac genuine (no after-market). I obviously don't remember what tires were on them then, but as in Sweden you have to run on winter tires during winter conditions (as now) between last october to last march (if I'm not mistaken). I don't know how I can help you but I can't tell you about my winter wheels non the least. The rims are 17", and this is what is says on the side of the tires: 225/45 R17 91V - Avon tyres as well, I think I bought those tyres because they got a reasonably good test score in comparison to price, but I might be BS myself as well.

Here's a picture of my car (washed yesterday, already a bit dirty - thank you Swedish roads ), with the winter wheels on (but without hub caps, still on summer tyres, need to buy another set of those so I don't have to switch. Any recommendations on where to buy them for a great price?

DSC00667.jpg

Hi, and thank you very much for taking the trouble to respond. Your BLS looks great by the way!

Over the last couple of days I've established that Saab don't make or supply 16 inch diameter steel wheels except for the emergency space saver. I've spoken to a couple of independent Saab car breakers, and they have advised me to buy a set of cheap 16 inch Saab alloys and then put my own winter tyres on. That probably would be the easiest option really. As for your centre caps. Well, you might have a problem sourcing genuine Cadillac ones. You could consider these:

http://www.neobrothers.co.uk/used-wh...tfq7qs78a96sr5

They're the next best thing. Otherwise, you would probably have to contact your nearest Cadillac service/parts centre in Sweden, or Bauer Millett here in the UK
    +44(0)161 872 7744. Someone I'm sure would be able to help.

Hi, and thank you very much for taking the trouble to respond. Your BLS looks great by the way!

Over the last couple of days I've established that Saab don't make or supply 16 inch diameter steel wheels except for the emergency space saver. I've spoken to a couple of independent Saab car breakers, and they have advised me to buy a set of cheap 16 inch Saab alloys and then put my own winter tyres on. That probably would be the easiest option really. As for your centre caps. Well, you might have a problem sourcing genuine Cadillac ones. You could consider these:

They're the next best thing. Otherwise, you would probably have to contact your nearest Cadillac service/parts centre in Sweden, or Bauer Millett here in the UK
    Thanks ExRPO!,

Thanks, I like it alot

Once I got a flat and couldn't fix it with the tyre in a can solution, so I got to borrow a Saab wheel from a friend and that fit right on. So, as you've said earlier, it works. I guess that could be the best option, and maybe you should look at 17"? I have another BLS owner on my way to work and he has the steel rims on winter tyres and in my honest opinion - it looks shit. I really like having a couple of rims that aren't that bad looking, it does lift the appearences. I think you will be more than satisfied if you look (and maybe pay a little bit) more, these cars need to ride in style

Jacob

Thanks ExRPO!,

Thanks, I like it alot

Once I got a flat and couldn't fix it with the tyre in a can solution, so I got to borrow a Saab wheel from a friend and that fit right on. So, as you've said earlier, it works. I guess that could be the best option, and maybe you should look at 17"? I have another BLS owner on my way to work and he has the steel rims on winter tyres and in my honest opinion - it looks shit. I really like having a couple of rims that aren't that bad looking, it does lift the appearences. I think you will be more than satisfied if you look (and maybe pay a little bit) more, these cars need to ride in style

Jacob

Well, I found a wrecked CTS being broken up and it still had all its wheels 17 inch (undamaged), unfortunately despite being five stud like the BLS, they have a different pattern and don't fit which is a huge shame because for 250 quid with four decent tyres, they'd have looked good on my car. Oh well, never mind! I think I will be settling for a cheap set of second hand 16 inch Saab 9-3 alloys and then stick some winter rubber on them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.