bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    S70RMP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS now gone RIP now Saab 9-3 Aero TTID Hirsch'd

bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped !

it was fine yesterday and then just as we were setting off to Costco we hearda strange noise like a plastic bottle stuck under the car when we went over a bump.

When we got home had a proper look and there it is a snapped spring.

Anybody got any idea's how much this is going to cost me ?

I can buy a Saab 9-3 spring from Euro Car Parts for £50 but fitting ££££

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

Re: bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped !

Saab forums seem to have figures of about £130 fitting costs (ie just labour) for a front pair.

Having read your email I did a search on "Saab broken spring" and I saw lots of web sites and forums indicating that broken front spings is not an uncommon problem on Saabs. Indeed many seemed to get the replaced by Saab free of charge or with 50% goodwill even when out of warranty.

Some also mentioned replacing them with Eibach units for better handling. Would be a lot more to replace all 4 though.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you get on.

spoke with the local independant garage I use for MOT's and he said I'd be looking at approx £110+Vat per side.

Do I need to replace both at the same time ? I've never had a spring go before.

after reading this http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index...topic=31635698

I wonder if it's worth phoning Cadillac UK if I can find the phone number and see if they will pay out on it as it's a major problem for Saab drivers

after email last night to the email address on the Cadillac Euro website I recieved this message back

Thank you for your email enquiry to Cadillac, Corvette, Hummer. Please note this email address is now out of service. For further assistance please contact Klintberg & Way via customersupport@klintbergway.com or on
    +800-8680 8800 or +46-8680 8864. Thank You

I have emailed the new email address and this morning they emailed back asking for the VIN number which I have provided.
    Also sent a picture of the current mileage (29k) as to proof that the springs should not fail after a short time.

lets see what comes back from them. Hopefully they will do a good will and pay for the work to be carried out - fingers crossed !

stephenm1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

Sorry to hear your news. Snapped coil springs are a daily occurance in a Saab dealership workshop. In Saab world it is a minefield of part numbers even with a chassis number in EPC. The important details required for exact part number interpretation are the suspension codes found at the bottom of the adhesive VIN sticker usually found in one of the front door shuts. Because of this factor it is hard for aftermarket suppliers to provide springs to match the exact specifications of the vehicle.

If you are concerned about handling I would stick to genuine parts. Saab 9-3 (9440) front coil springs are only available as a pair and retail at approx £95.00 plus VAT depending on part number.

My advice would be to contact Bauer and Millet and get them to quote you the part number to suit your chassis number and Cadillac retail price and then compare this to a Saab dealer price.

If you get stuck drop me a line.

Stephen

I'm hoping that I get an email back from this new place saying they are going to pay and advise me to contact BM

stephenm1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

Just had another thought.

The average labour time for a pair of front springs is approx 1.5 hours. Average Saab labour rate is approx £90 plus VAT per hour.

If Cadillac Europe carry out their warranty procedures in a similar way to Saab, then the work will have to be carried out by an authorised dealer or aftersales centre. If you don't have one near to you then it would be cheaper to pay for the repair yourself rather than driving half way round the country to the nearest dealer.

Hope that this helps.

Bauer Millet is about 20 mins away from me

Regarding case #55514, Re: Broken Front Spring

Dear Mr. Foster,

We regret to inform you that, according to the information available at the moment there are no special policies for the Cadillac BLS and we cannot help you with a gesture of good will. We can only advise you to contact your closest GM authorised service center for technical and mechanical support. We are sorry we cannot be of further assistance for this time.

Regards,

Cadillac Corvette Hummer
    Customer Assistance Center
    NAV Support

so looks like I have a big bill coming !

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

Not altogether a surprising response. Perhpas BM will have sway with GM/Cadillac. In the past, whenever I have had anything done under warranty or "goodwill", it has always been the service centre who have argued and discussed the case with the car manufacturer. I have never had to contact manufacturer directly. Perhpas BM will have some influence and will be better able to argue your case. Good luck putting the argument to BM about the evidence of Saab customers experiencing same failure at low mileages, but you don't have much choice about getting it fixed.

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

All this talk of snapped springs got me a little worried. I've had a metallic jangling sound every time I went over sleeping policeman, so I had all four wheels off today to check my own springs and shocks. Thankfully, it was just a small stone which had got inside the offside rear brake disc guard and it was rattling about. Absolute git to get out. At least I managed to give all the springs and shocks a good wipe down in the process.

Mines booked in for new springs on Thursday !
    £80 for the pair and £65+vat per side fitting

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

So, are you having Caddy springs or Saab? (Undoubtedly they will be the same anyway, but with different part numbers straight out of the GM parts bin) or some other make? 80 quid for the pair is pretty good. Is that BM or a local garage?

Cadillac part number but I guess it's Saab parts in the end,
    it's a local garage to me, BM's labour rates are way way to high

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.