bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped ! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Try contact Whitequay saab in Bracknell UK they might be able to help, thats were I got my springs from ...
    S70RMP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS now gone RIP now Saab 9-3 Aero TTID Hirsch'd

Re: bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped !

Try contact Whitequay saab in Bracknell UK they might be able to help, thats were I got my springs from and they had the full Cadillac parts system

Risto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS
    Thanks a lot!!!

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

I contacted Whitequay asking them about getting springs and I was informed that the springs could be sourced. Given that I had already contacted numerous agents including Bauer-Millett and other parts suppliers and received exactly the same information from all that the springs would be unavailable until the end of October this year, I wonder exactly how they could achieve this! At the end of the day as far as I am aware, new coil springs for the BLS are unavailable until some come through the supply chain. Now that I have the correct part number for the coil springs, price dependant, if I can get them through a Vauxhall dealer when they become available again, then I will do so.

I've even managed to find a couple of BLS's in scrap yards that still have their coil springs intact. Trouble is, the dismantlers are only interested in selling the strut (shock absorber) with it and charging an inflated price to boot. Why anyone would want to buy a second hand shock absorber is completely beyond me! I suppose one could say the same about a coil spring!

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any so called 'direct compatible' replacement springs that can be swapped over with the 9-3. I'm aware it is in all likelihood possible, but the springs have colour coded dots on them that are specific to the marque of vehicle. Saab haven't got the same colour coded springs that the BLS has. In truth, if the worst happens, I will just pop along to a Saab dealer or Saab independent, work out through kerb weight etc what 9-3 compares with the BLS and shove a set of Saab coil springs on.

Risto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

As it was impossible to find a solution from all the Cad forums, then I took the risk and went to a SAAB part dealer (a corner shop, not original service).
    We went thru the catalog for SAAB 9-3 Aero and we checked how many different options there are.

You might think why I went straight to Aero: the reason was that the selection was quite wide and I thought the Aero model should represent the more "sportish"-style. And as the BLS suspension has proven it is not typical American "softy", then why not Aero!

So I took those Aero springs and told that if they are way too different, then I will bring them back and get the money back as well (the cost was 75€ per one spring). Below you may see a picture (pic. 2) from the exact product that I purchased.

SO DID SAAB 9-3 AERO SPRINGS FIT?
    When I put my original (snapped, pic. 1) spring next to the Aero spring, then it was approx. 2cm higher, all other dimensions were exactly the same. So I installed them (if you have at least some technical knowledge, then it is an easy job - but make sure you have the tools, because SPRING REMOVAL CAN OTHERWISE BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS). Surprisingly the car height looks exactly the same - at least you can`t make the difference (pic. 3). The driving feels the same and I haven`t made the difference yet whether it is softer or harder.
    The car screams for bigger rims, 17" just doesn`t fill the space - couldn`t blame springs on that...

photo (2).jpg
    photo.jpg
    photo2.jpg

Well done Risto!

The ride height from your photo looks pretty much the same as my own on original springs. Don't forget, your new springs will likely sag a little once they have some miles under them. I'm a little surprised you didn't go the whole hog and stick some new Bilstein standard shocks on a the same time or at least the Saab 9-3 listed equivalents made by Sachs I think. I noticed too, that your original coil spring, the coloured coded dots don't match mine. Mine have a red, green and two pink spots!

I did actually contact Lesjofors here in the UK, but they couldn't match anything up for me just going through part numbers. It seems that you have indeed done the hard work! I've made a note of the part number just in case I get a snapped one!

duriseks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac BLS 1.9 D DSL

Quote Originally Posted by ajp558 View Post
    Saab forums seem to have figures of about £130 fitting costs (ie just labour) for a front pair.

Having read your email I did a search on "Saab broken spring" and I saw lots of web sites and forums indicating that broken front spings is not an uncommon problem on Saabs. Indeed many seemed to get the replaced by Saab free of charge or with 50% goodwill even when out of warranty.

Some also mentioned replacing them with Eibach units for better handling. Would be a lot more to replace all 4 though.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how you get on.
    ** I am trying to find two parts for my Cadillac BLS 1.9 D DSL - I am not certain even what they are, but the shop my Caddy is in gave me the part nymbers to see if I would have any luck finding them.
    I have the parts numbers I am looking for:
    93190638  this is the part I desperately need as the above part should be delivered this week possibly!

I don't know if I should look into replacing the who suspension with Eibach parts, but I am not even certain on how to go about this. My BLS has been in the shop now for 3 months and they say the one part will not be delivered until March, if so I am not a happy Caddy driver!
    If anyone has any suggestions or knows of anywhere this part can be ordered from faster than 2-3 months, please let me know!

duriseks, I sympathise with you, but I would not have allowed my own car to be off the road for so long. Exactly who has your car? I'd have gone mad by now if it hadn't been sorted. You must be extremely patient!

If you read the thread about 'knocking suspension', you will note that the part number you require, 93190638, has not been available for at least a year. Some BLS owners have had no choice but to bite the bullet and have alternative 9-3 springs fitted. My biggest gripe about that, is that no one will tell me what alternative Saab part number they would supply. That to me is not good enough. 93190638 are apparently due back in the supply chain sometime next month and I will be buying a set once they finally become available. I toyed with the idea of fitting Eibach or HR springs, but I like the ride and comfort I have. The style of driving I do does not warrant uprated sport springs.

As for part number 93190088, well that is a new one on me. It shows up as a valid part but it isn't the spring fitted to my car.

Mazuk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS 180 Auto estate

Thank guys for the help:

I wish I had the Saab 9-5 part number for the spring????? Anyway, this is what my local Caddilac Service manager wrote to me about my findings:

"I am not sure if saab 9-5 or saab 9-3 has the same suspension system as cadillac BLS so i can not advise you in this case, concernig the aftermarket parts, i am trying to get some aftermarket part but none of our aftermarket supplyer is offering that spring we need and this is the reason why i am waiting for the original one, if you will find anyone who can supply the spring that we need, it would be great because the next part we are waiting for(the spring strut) will be here in our workshop on 21.01.2013 so we can exchange the parts and you will be able to use your car.
    Thanks

S pozdravom/Best Regards

Marek Mlynár | Servis vozidiel, poistné udalosti, garancie
    TODOS, s.r.o. | Panónska cesta 32 | 851 04 Bratislava | Slovak Republic
    Tel.: +421 2 5556 6666 | Mobil: +421 907 973 251 Email: mlynar@todos.sk | www.cadillac-bratislava.sk | www.corvette-bratislava.sk | www.todos.sk

----------

BTW: Waiting since the very beginning of November, Patience is a virtue! I don't have much other choice. I actually had to rent a vehicle for my Holiday Travel, cost 300 euros for 10 days! So I am out of pocket money that I should not have ever had to pay, if I hadn't kissed a curb with my right front tire! Complaining is not an option, as we contact the service station, dealer here in Slovakia enough for them to put my e-mails into the Spam file! LOL.....
    I appreciate your help, and will post my photos of my car on this blog, before the accident! I love the car, I grew up with both my parents driving Cadillac Sevilles (His and Hers) matching, the only diofference was the "man version" had the larger front promienet grill! They were spectacular vehicles. Electronic suspension with automatic height adjustment and every bell and whistle possible back in the 80's. The cars were like riding in a true Cadillac, my BLS is much more sporty and handles like any European sedan of comparison, but the Caddy is a stand out in the crowd of BMW, Audi, and Mercs in Slovakia! People start at it like it is some sort of spaceship! It feel sgood to be an American, driving a GM car only made for European roads!
    So, thanks.... You guys have lots of knowledge I am learning and trying to absorb.. Does anyone know where I can get the GPS DVD for Central Europe? I found one online, but when I burned it to disk, dual layer DVD, it wouldn't play! I would love to get the ISO file to make a copy to use while I travel in not only my home country now, but also in Croatia where I spend my Holidays.
    Sincerely,
    Duriseks

My car in Croatia 2012! waiting for the ferry to Split from Supetar.. see attachment!
    Attached Images

duriseks,

see this link:

http://www.ricambiamericani.com/part...t-sus-set.html

If you translate it using google translate or similar, it would appear this particular seller might have stock of 93190638. When I translated the page to English, it states 'stock available subject to verification'. Can't you get your Caddy dealer to contact them to make sure?

Oh, by the way, concerning the NAV DVD for Central Europe. To be honest, you would be better off getting a TomTom or Garmin or similar. I don't use my in built Satnav because it is now so out of date, that it just isn't worth using. I use my TomTom all the time because it has HD Live Traffic Services, something the inbuilt satnav doesn't. When I enquired about getting a new nav disc, I was informed that it would cost £600 for a new disc! Again, you could buy a complete brand new radio/nav unit for the same price. Some extremely good offerings from the likes of Kenwood and Pioneer out there!

ExRPO1,
    Thanks man... I have a Garmin Sat, but it sticks to my front window, I don't like the cable running from the poer socket.. I found a few Torrent sites that may have the DVD...If I find it for our kenwood I will upload and share with you all! The Westrn Europe DVD is everywhere, even updated to 2012, but the central Europe disk is not to be found so far! It shares the same maps as the Saab and Land Rover for some reason, but all are hard to find for my region. Anyway... just got the call from by Service center, and they found an aftermarket part for my coil spring issue! I get the part in two weeks, so will be driving my car once again, knock on wood, before the end of January! So a full 3 months of no car and a whole lot of exercise! Cheers everyone! Seems your posted comments and advice paid off, especially when I quoted a good deal of information I found here in an E-mail to my service manager! He actually called me to let me know he was ordering the part...I said simly, "what are you waiting for, order it"
    So. I will be back on the road and even if 300 Euros out of my pocket for a rental for 10 days, I will be a hell of a lot more careful and will avoid those damn curbs!

duriseks,

That is good news about your springs, hope you are back on the road soon.

If you can, would you be able to post the brand/make and part number of the springs your dealer is supplying? That would be useful for us all I think!

Seeing as it's been so quiet on the forum lately, I thought I'd raise this thread - again!

Well I've been pursuing a lead for the last two months concerning the supply of the correct springs for the 1.9 tid BLS but my contact cannot order them in.

After doing further research, I've discovered that Lesjofors coil springs, part number 4077816 listed by Lesjofors in their current catalogue, are the correct replacement front springs specifically listed under Cadillac BLS standard chassis (i.e not lowered suspension) and that they are also the same fit for the equivalent Saab 9-3 diesel YS3F Z19DTH. http://webshoppilot.tecdoc.net/lesjofors/home.jsp just click on simplified search.

Several months ago, I contacted Lesjofors UK and at the time, they were unable to tell me if they produced a replacement spring for the BLS 1.9 diesel, seems that things have moved on.

Anyway, spare pair of Lesjofors coil springs now being purchased. My research via the web, also suggests that Lesjofors produce/d coil springs as OE for Saab, so I have no issues buying these.

ajp558 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

Thanks for your tenacity ExRPO1, and thanks for adding to the useful repository of data in this forum which will be of use in the future as we strive to keep our BLSs on the road.

I see we can buy those from one two sellers and Ebay. Am I correct in assuming that those are for the front springs only and not the rear, but if the 9-3 springs are okay for the front then it is highly likely that the 9-3 springs for the rear would also be okay?

I eventually expect to have to replace shocks and springs, so the more knowledge about compatible Saab parts for my BLS estate the better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.