bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped ! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Paul, I am unable to reply to private messages at the moment due to being a new member. If you ...
    stephenm1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

Re: bugger - Drivers side front spring snapped !

Paul,

I am unable to reply to private messages at the moment due to being a new member.

If you message me back with the part number obtained from BM for the coils springs I will be happy to cross reference these to Saab. It would also be helpful to have the current retail price for comparison.

I will be trading BLS/9-3 parts on ebay as of 6th April. I have noticed during my research that a BLS part supplied by a Cadillac dealer that is also a shared Saab component is much more expensive through the Cadillac dealer (Typical greedy GM!) Seeing that there is a lack of options available on the internet for the supply of BLS parts, my main objective is to offer my knowledge and experience with quality genuine or aftermarket parts at a more realistic price.

Hopefully all you other BLS owners will appreciate what I am trying to achieve whilst exploiting a gap in the market.

Regards

Stephen

S70RMP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS now gone RIP now Saab 9-3 Aero TTID Hirsch'd

Hi

the part number I got from a dealer (wasn't BM) is 93190636
    the local Saab dealers said that was the code for a head gasket
    but that code came from a Caddy dealer down south, he checked it against
    my orignal reg number (FN06***) and he came back with a twin pack of springs

he quoted £125+vat for them, but I have got them for £80 inc

I am still awaiting the garage to be able to get hold of the front springs !

They have phoned Cadillac UK (MK) and they said they could get them at £195+vat but it would be 2 weeks.
    The place they have ordered from are now saying any day now, the garage seems a bit upset that they are making me wait. They are a great bunch of blokes, I know as soon as they have them I'll get the call and it'll be done!.

still waiting for the parts !

I hope it's done before Easter !

well just over 2 mths and the BLS is back on the road and I'm £500 worse off !

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

2 springs = 2 months & £500? Ouch. That is something to bear in mind every time one approaches a speed hump.

yeah, the car feels great again now,

Might have a trip to South Stack Lighthouse at the weekend as been waiting for a road trip for a while

BlackBox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009er 2.0 T FlexFuel Waggon

Hmm...

the hole story with the springs.... could be a real problem.

Why?

Well if we'll remember, GM was with Saab at the time our BLS was developed and build.

Opel ( Vauxhall) is also with GM. Our BLS is on the same base as the Saab 9.3 and the Opel Vectra.
    My father in law owns a Vectra, below 50.000 km and round about 5 years old.
    Short one: two weeks ago one of the front springs broke.

I made some phone calls for him for a qoute. I called a free Opel service and what made me wonder was the reaction from them: this is a well known bug within the Vectra series and happens very often.

Due to that (and please don't or or me) I woun'd be surprised if we'll see some more postings about springs.

Regards

Thorsten

The one thing that has really annoyed me is that fact the Cadillac dont care about thier customers.
    Saab have been replacing the duff parts and not charging anything for the work to be done as they know it's an issue
    but Cadillac just said sorry your out of warranty you deal with it !

I got mine sent up from Whitequay Cadillac - (in the real world Whitequay Saab), but they changed the price 3 times on the springs.

But I still like my car, every time I see it it makes me smile

greebo12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by S70RMP View Post
    it was fine yesterday and then just as we were setting off to Costco we hearda strange noise like a plastic bottle stuck under the car when we went over a bump.

When we got home had a proper look and there it is a snapped spring.

Anybody got any idea's how much this is going to cost me ?

I can buy a Saab 9-3 spring from Euro Car Parts for £50 but fitting ££££
    my driver side sping snapped to day we have just been qouted £200+ vat for the spring and a bout £100 to fit springs have to be purchased and fitted in pairs would not by the saab spring unless you know the exact type need as there are many different types of from spring cadillac like saab say they need to be replaced in pair to prevent handling problems Euro part told me that they could not recommend using the saab springs

try speaking to White Quay Cadillac/Saab I got my springs from there and had a local garage install them.

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

Well guys, I have been trying my hardest to buy a set of 'spare' front coil springs for my own BLS and it has turned out to be the quest from hell!

Basically, I have a part number, which is good and which has been confirmed from multiple GM garages and suppliers both here in the UK and in Sweden (yes, I've even emailed garages in Sweden!), as being the correct part number for my BLS based on my car VIN. The cost for these springs, which are an equivalent crossover part with Saab, is £79 + vat.

Trouble is, the lead time for delivery is, week 44 of this year! That is, week commencing 28 October 2012. I truly hope one of my springs doesn't snap! I have 'phoned in excess of 40 parts suppliers in the UK and there are none available. There is no alternative part number either, that is not to say though that I couldn't upgrade the whole spring set to Eibach or Hirsch but I ain't in the mood for spending that much money, even more so as my own car is still under warranty until the end of this year and I suspect Cadillac wouldn't like that should I need any warranty work doing. And even if I did, I would then have to tell my insurance company and I suppose then, my insurance premium would increase. Effectively, if one of my springs does snap, unless I fit some alternative spring, my car could conceivably be off the road for months!

My advice guys - drive carefully!

Mazuk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS 180 Auto estate

Not good news. I wonder what Cadillac Customer Services would say about this non-existant customer service .Have you contacted them about springs?

http://www.cadillaceurope.com/en/index.php#/contact

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

To be honest Maz mate, I've had the misfortune of voluntarily contacting the agent in Sweden on two occasions and I was not impressed one iota with the responses I got!

The quest in the search for these springs has been met from the very helpful, to unhelpful, to the downright rude! One business I contacted claimed the part number I provided had been superceded and could sell me the new coils which they had in stock, immediately. When I asked for the part number so I could check with GM, they then suddenly declined to help me! Sorry, I'm not that dim! I'd never just cough up cash taking someones word for it that the coils would fit without checking with Cadillac or Saab! I subsequently found out that the part number for the coils has not been superceded at all, they are just not available, anywhere, at this time. Agents at garages in Sweden have told me that much!

I have gained the impression that there are some people out there who might be deliberately taking advantage of the situation, especially when it comes to price. Every Saab and Vauxhall dealer I have spoken to, have been very professional and very helpful with my enquiry and have confirmed the price being £79 + vat for a pair of coil springs, whilst some other businesses have claimed they cost anything up to £200. I aint in the mood for being ripped off by anyone!

So for now, I'm just going to drive very carefully and hope that my springs stay intact. My low mileage should help, but I assure everyone, once the springs become available, I'll be opening my wallet and hanging a pair of spare springs up in the garage.

In terms of other spares such as brake pads/discs and other common service consumables, I have now sussed out some of the crossover part numbers for original GM parts for equivalent parts in the Vauxhall (Vectra/Insignia/Saab 9-3) range which fit my BLS because some of the models share the same braking system for example. I was chuffed to bits for instance, to get genuine GM rear brake pads for just £15 off the famous auction site, less than half the price of the dealership.

Risto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS

Dear all,

Have read your posts about the front spring and as I have noticed, then it is still not 100% clear which SAAB 9-3 spring to ask from the dealer. I went to a pats dealer and he wanted to have more info; e.g. the 9-3 has different springs for Aero-series, sports, regular and of course BLS VIN-code doesn`t help here.

So far I have successfully managed to buy other parts to my BLS via SAAB 9-3 catalog, e.g. anti-roll rods costed only 20€ per left&right and AC radiator I got brand new for 107€ (OEM asked 250€).

So if anybody could tell which SAAB 9-3 model I must refer to in order to get springs for BLS, then please let me know.

By the way I have 2007 BLS, automatic gearbox, 2.0Turbo, 129kW.

All relevant info is welcome,
    Thank You all in advance
    Risto from Estonia.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.