Too good to be true! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Too good to be true! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I completely appreciate that we are all driven by the cost of how much something is, especially in these difficult ...
    ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

Re: Too good to be true!

I completely appreciate that we are all driven by the cost of how much something is, especially in these difficult times, but as I stated earlier, I'm prepared to pay the dealer cost during the warranty phase because I know that outside of a Caddy dealer, you just will not get the support required for the whole package. It's one of those things, just under 15 grand new for a car infinately better (imo) than a lot of the current rubbish out there, deserves the proper support, otherwise it appears we could go to dealers whinging that they can't do this and they can't do that because they don't have the tech stuff to support the car but are still happy to take the money off you for half a job.
    In terms of the lock down when driving off, I must state again that I was informed that only certain models of the BLS are capable of having this activated. Might be worth checking with BM again. I suppose it might depend on whether you have had the software updates?

S70RMP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS now gone RIP now Saab 9-3 Aero TTID Hirsch'd

I think mine cant have the lock on drive away as it'a an early 2006 model
    Mine had a waste managment update when they did a service

Ok, so I have the car back. It has been a long day. leaving home at 0515 to miss the traffic for the trip to Manchester. Get there, drop off the hire car only 2 miles from BM. One of the guys from BM even picked me up from the hire car place. I'm than happy with their service, I ought to be, I got the car back within 48 hours. A problem fixed that anyone outside a Caddy dealership (and we know just how rare they are in the UK) would have had problems rectifying in such a short space of time. Software updates all done, auto locking of doors a new toy for me. The cost of the service which I paid for because it was my choice to have it done earlier than it needed, was £344 inc VAT which I agree is expensive, but not much more than it costs to get my wife's car done at a well known Japanese dealership. My only criticism of BM, is that they didn't valet the vehicle, which for the money I paid for the service, is disappointing. I couldn't be bothered to mention it, I was just chuffed to get the motor back and the trip back home was, well, brilliant, far better than the Korean hire car I had for two days. Anyway, I cleaned the car myself this evening, inside and out. Looks sweet!

least you have a happy ending ! good news

I agree they should valet the car or at least giev it a wash !

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

Do you know if the software updates improve anything like the turbo lag when pulling off at a roundabout which sometimes leaves me looking at oncoming traffic when i wouldnt be in other cars I've driven? If so, tghen I am toying with the idea of taking mine to dealer even though its not due a service fro a lomg time (1.9TiD estate auto, only done 7500 miles, got car in Feb).

Ref the 'turbo lag'. I'm so sorry, I don't wish you to take offence at this, or feel as though I'm patronising you, but driving a diesel car in my opinion, is just a tiny bit different to say the expectations of a petrol unit. I learnt my trade as a diesel fuel injection engineer, long before common rail diesels were invented. I've learnt to ensure I have the right revs on at the right time and so far, I haven't suffered any embarrassing moments at roundabouts. Sure, the turbo doesn't kick in immediately you whack the revs on but I've not noticed anything really different to any other diesel models I have driven recently. I have to say, my car feels no different to how it was before its service and software updates, though I'm sure they must have done something or why bother updating the EMCU? The car continues to be as smooth as the day I first drove it in March. The breakdown was a result of the car having a bad day, undoubtedly due to it being sat around somewhere on tarmac for about 15 months before I bought it as a 'new car'. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the car had its Pre Delivery Inspection almost 12 months after it arrived in the country from Sweden - if you get my drift!

To amend my last post, when I said before common rail diesels were invented, I actually meant to say, before they were commonly used in passenger cars (mid 1990's) because they were actually used in submarine engines way back in 1916 and indeed have been in use in marine and locomotive applications for many years.

Sorry for my mistake.

ajp558 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon

ExRP01,

Thanks for the reply, no offence taken. I know what you mean about the differences between petrol and diesel and the different way they should be driven. I havent driven many diesels in the past but always treated them like I would driving a van, and just accepted I'd drive in a more leisurely fashion, look for bigger gaps in traffic at junctions, and pull off slowly. I love my Cadillac but when I drive my wife's 3.0d X5, despite it's heavy weight it just seems to have a much more immediate response than the Caddy whether from standing start or having slowed right down approaching a junction or roundabout and then accelerating off having made that decision in a microsecond that it is safe to go. There just seems to be a lot more hesitation from the Caddy than the heavy X5 which just picks its skirts up and shoots off like an elephant shot in the backside.

I have been considering the various aftermarket tuning companies which tweak the ECU mappings for extra power and better fuel consumption, but I won't bother until I've first had the latest Cadillac software updates to see what improvement those might bring. I'd quite happily pay to have them do the updates before I need a service. I also wonder whether they have any updates to the Bluetooth software in the car as it just won't work properly with my Nokia 5800, but does work perfectly with my work Blackberry.

I've contacted a few companies about doing software upgrades for better MPG and to see if they can do anythign about the autobox refusing to change up till it's ready not when I am, but have only had 1 reply saying sorry dont do American cars !

To be honest, you are probably better leaving remapping alone, unless you get a really reputable company to do it. I've been looking into it and there are companies that will remap our motors, but I'll be leaving that one well alone. I've got the manual box, so I can't appreciate your auto box issues. Funny thing about the 'we don't do American motors'. These people are so ignorant, they, unlike ourselves, seem completely unaware that there is nothing American about the BLS except the name. Like it or not, our Caddy's are technically Swedish, built there, SAAB Vin plates etc, etc. Even my air filter has a SAAB part number on it. I'm going to find out how much the SAAB Pollen filter is, because I bet it's cheaper than the Caddy one that was just put in! We've already seen in another post that coil springs are cheaper from SAAB.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.