Code Reader
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac BLS Forum (Europe / South Africa) Discussion, Code Reader in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone know of a code reader you can get for the BLS. You can buy GM Code readers from ebay ...
    bigcul1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): BLS 1.9TID

Code Reader

Anyone know of a code reader you can get for the BLS. You can buy GM Code readers from ebay but dont know if they will work with this car???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ExRPO1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLSd 150hp 2009

Re: Code Reader

Hi,

I personally have a Scangauge. Really good bit of kit and works ok with my 150 TD BLS. I got mine from Ebay. It aint cheap though, I paid about 90 odd quid for mine a couple of years ago. I formally used it on my Chrysler Neon. You just plug it into the OBD port under the steering wheel. I have mine mounted and plugged in all the time. It will show you MPH, which is good for setting the cruise control because you have a far better degree of accuracy imo. Speedo clock on car always shows a couple of more mph than the digital readout. You also get to see Manifold Absolute Pressure, coolant temperature, battery voltage and several other readings if you scroll through its menu. It actually shows you four different readings of the above at the same time. It works with both petrol and diesel cars, however some of the readings will either work or not work depending on the type of fuel. Some of the readings won't mean much to those who don't have a clue about engine management, but I personally do find it useful. Above all, if you do have a problem with the engine, it, in conjunction with the car's own onboard computer, shows you the relevant P Code which once you have resolved, you can then reset the car's onboard engine management using this device. Wait until the car's warranty has run out before you do this though!

Cheers for the help, I tried bidding on one on ebay but got outbid. Ended up ordering a Autel maxiscan MS509 which includes the CAN protocol which I believe is needed for the BLS. When it comes I will report on the functionality.

Hi, got the code reader and it came up with P0400 which is the EGR valve. I have replaced this which means I can reset the code but it also came up with P1900 and P1902 which are cadillac specific. I need to phone Buaer Millet on Monday to find out what they are. I suspect they are to do with the DPF not regenerating properly or that its clogged. Its a pain that these manufacturers dont have generic codes for everything such as the P0400 code which is generic to GM.

Sorry ur banging yur head against the preverbial!

Problems aside, would you recommend your new code reader? I'm quite interested in having another toy to play with! What we all need though, is someone somewhere to publish a full set of BLS specific P codes - that'll be the day! Like trying to get hold of a full workshop manual - impossible! Best we can do apparently, is a Saab 9-3 workshop manual. Any thoughts anyone?

S70RMP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): BLS now gone RIP now Saab 9-3 Aero TTID Hirsch'd

I've seen workshop books for the 9-3 on torrent sites so thats one option !

Yeah I would reccommend the code reader. I paid £53 off ebay but im sure you could get cheaper/more expensive versions. It needs to be OBC2 compliant with CAN protocol. It will read generic codes and a list can be found on numerous GM websites. Just wont read cadillac specific and these are not the same as Saab, Vauxhall etc which is a major pain. Yeah a P code list from cadillac would be sweeeet. To be fair though I phoned Bauer Millet in manchester and they were happy to tell me these codes over the phone. P1900 apparently relates to EGR sensor bank front and P1902 relates to EGR sensor bank rear. As I have change my EGR though I doubt this is what is the matter with my car therefore its going to Manchester friday for software updates, DPF manual regen and general check up. Oh one other thing the reader will do is tell you how many miles have been covered with the MIL light on. Mine says the MIL light is on and I have covered 5k. Thats a bit worrying since the light on the dash is not lit. Me thinks I have been screwed by the garage I bought it from and they have simply removed the bulb. Trading standards here I come.

I think I need to explain that better. It will read all codes and tell you what the code is. On the generic codes it actually tells you what the code relates to i.e. P0400 = EGR valve. However on manufacturer specific codes it will state the code but then says contact manufacturer for details. I.e. P1900 Cadillac specific code please contact manufacturer. Hope that makes sense. As I said Bauer Millet will tell you the code diagnostic over the phone but they did say that some codes have sub codes.......................nothing is ever easy is it.

Ok so went to Manchester and had the faults diagnosed. Turns out the fault is an exhaust sensor thats faulty and keeps knocking off the DPF regen program. Part has been ordered and will be fitted this week. On a different note, I couldn't see the engine managment light due to it being covered with black silicon sealant behind the dash. The garage where I bought it from have royally screwed me. Have been discussing it with trading standards today and they reckon they have a fairly solid case to recover costs associated. Im pretty p***ed off tho! Ho Hum at least I will have a fixed car!

I'm very pleased for you that your issues are being sorted.
    Inexcusable if the dealer you bought your car from is responsible for the engine management light issue. I know of a fleet vehicle that goes in for very frequent servicing. Just about every lamp to do with engine management is illuminated, but because the place it goes to doesn't have the diagnostic equipment to reset the onboard service indicator, it just stays like it! So it seems that your vehicle at some stage from leaving the last owner to the place you bought it from, someone came up with a more ingenious solution! Bet you wish you could get your hands on them! Anyway, good luck with Trading Standards.
    Concerning Manchester, I take it you are happy with their service? Manchester and Birmingham are exactly the same distance from me, so I'll need to choose between the two when it comes to service time.
    I note your points about the code reader. I may well just get one.

Bauer Millet were fantastic. I took the car in and they gave me a lift into Manchester Centre so I could mill around the shops and have a brew etc. When it was ready for collection they came and picked me up from the centre. Also were very thorough, talked me through everything etc. Always felt that they were willing to take time to explain things and I never felt rushed in and out like some dealers. Only downside - £80 exc VAT per hour labour charge! Ouchie! Suppose you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.