Swapping Cts Radio For Nav Radio
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Swapping Cts Radio For Nav Radio in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I KNOW THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED HERE, BUT THE ISSUE SEEMED TO HAVE LOST STEAM. I want to swap ...
    sillyo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS RAVEN BLACK

Angry Swapping Cts Radio For Nav Radio

I KNOW THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED HERE, BUT THE ISSUE SEEMED TO HAVE LOST STEAM.

I want to swap out my regular head unit for the Nav unit on my 2004 CTS, Can this be done? Has anyone done it? Are the Harnesses and connectors the same or is there hardwiring to be done? Many questions to be asked.....leaves one to wonder.. has it been done? is it worth it? I wish there were an upgrade kit avail thru GM. Nissan I believe has this available for some vehicles. ANY INPUT APPRECIATED!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Re: Swapping Cts Radio For Nav Radio

Basically, anyone who has already done this is either keeping mum or has disappeared off the face of the earth (okay, maybe just the forum). So far what we have figured out is that the connectors on the radio are the same. Most of the wiring is already there. The only wires missing are two voice prompt wires. The problem is that these voice prompt wires can only be connected to the bose amplifier. If you have a bose system then you are pretty much set. All you have to do is run two wires from your headunit to your amplifier, hook everything up and your golden. If you have the non-bose system, you either have to replace your amplifier and amp harness with a bose and run the two wires, try splicing the voice prompt wires into the pre-out wires on the back of the radio, or by a cheap amplifier and speaker to hook up to the voice prompt output. The only problem was this is that the music may not mute when a voice prompt is given. Keep in mind that all this is just IN THEORY from studying the wiring diagrams. Until anyone tries it and confirms that it works, it is only speculation and may not work at all. Also keep in mind that voice command will not work unless you splice into the microphone ciruit from the mirror for OnStar and add the proper wires to the harness of the radio. This is why I am reluctant to plop down the cash for a nav system only to find out it won't work. If you are brave enough to be an expensive guinea then go for it and let us know how it goes.

4WARD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by sillyo
    I KNOW THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED HERE, BUT THE ISSUE SEEMED TO HAVE LOST STEAM.

I want to swap out my regular head unit for the Nav unit on my 2004 CTS, Can this be done? Has anyone done it? Are the Harnesses and connectors the same or is there hardwiring to be done? Many questions to be asked.....leaves one to wonder.. has it been done? is it worth it? I wish there were an upgrade kit avail thru GM. Nissan I believe has this available for some vehicles. ANY INPUT APPRECIATED!
    I don't remember WHO it was that said they did this, but they DID say it was a piece of cake, if I remember correctly.

Strangletooth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sillyo,

I would call/ go see whoever does all of the high end custom audio installs in your area, what I mean by high end is the folks that are doing custom work with cars like Bimmer's, Mercedes, etc etc etc. I don't know if your tech savvy enough to do it, but obviously, there's going to be some serious mods in the dash. Not sure if it's a piece of cake or not, certainly doesn't "sound" like one, but that's where I'd start.

Where are you located, perhaps I can help out as I've done some investigating on the audio thing? ( Sorry if it's listed somewhere, didn't think to look )

Pat

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Wow, stangletooth really put a summary on that puppy.

Basically, in THEORY, you can do it the easy way, and not have voice commands or Nav voice feedback with the non bose system...Or, there are actually two sets of wires need, but only one set for the bose amp (the nav promps) - the other is the cellular microphone signal from the radio to the Vehicle Communicatin Interface (which bypasses Onstar) which gives you the voice prompts where you speak to the nav.

From what I have read of those that did it, they did it the easy way (they claimed no voice prompts or nav talk)...

However, first the Nav system looks to be EXTREMELY expensive. A Reman unit from SpecMo (dealership warranty supply), without core (you'd have to send a nav unit back to get core charge refunded) runs over $3000 dealership cost. PLUS, if you want to run the bose amp in a non-bose system (to get all the features of nav), you'd either have to find the specific connectors (bose and non-bose amp connectors are different) and make your own harness, or buy a BODY harness, which has almost the entire right side of the vehicle on it, and it's over...arg....$1000....!!! Former is the best way to go....!!!

There is a possibility that it can be done with all features on the non-bose, but tapping the nav audio outs to go to a separate amp, because I believe the radio will still mute the regular amp on voice commands, and the vehicles have the same Vehicle Communication Interface...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Yea for sure GM sucks for things like this. You can get the RB1 Navigation unit from ChryCo for almost ANY Chryco vehicle for 1295.00 or so, but for the GM units you better hope one pops up on ebay or in a junker cause thats the only way to get one affordably. As far as easy, I think miscreant pretty much summed it up in that Bose people will have it easy in comparison to non-Bose'ers.

SammyDaBull is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Swapping Cts Radio For Nav Radio

Ok, I'm in the process of buying an 04 CTS. I would like to stay with the base model, but also have the dvd-nav. How did you guys do this? has it been done successfully? Exactly what parts do i need to do this (i.e. Harnesses, cabels, adapters, etc.)?

Please reply, e-mail or PM me...I want to buy my new CTS so bad, but I want to make sure I can get the navigation once I have it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.