Auxiliary input on a ’97 STS any suggestions? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Auxiliary input on a ’97 STS any suggestions? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; wow congrats i seriously tip my hat to you if it was me i would of just bought the cd ...
    CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Auxiliary input on a ’97 STS any suggestions?

wow
    congrats i seriously tip my hat to you
    if it was me i would of just bought the cd cable adapter which doesnt use FM modulation either.
    ideas for the plug, ive seen people drill the hu for the plug, just make a small hole in the lower left or right and you should be fine
    goodluck

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Actually on the upper left/right corners (on the same level with the EJECT/SIDE/REV-FF) buttons is the easiest way to do-it. On the other hand I am somehow attracted to the idea of having it located under the ashtray panel (I eliminate the wire dangling over the radio and climate control). Moreover I can manufacture/buy a 3.5’’ male/male connector that will hold the Ipod in like a pin. But I like the panel mount idea too, especially if I put a cell phone holder on the right side of the HU…
    As for the CD-Changer cable … I still like to keep my option of adding a CD changer. The problem is that an OEM can only read CDA format, not very attractive idea in our Era, I am looking, more or less actively, for a CD changer with mp3 capabilities (something like a NeoCharger).

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

alot of companies make adapters which will plug in and allow you to control the changer through the factory hu

After analyzing every single audio processor chip diagram posted on ST site I finally found THE ONE. The actual ZPLA744 chip is TDA7342EQ2N. The chip has 3 inputs per channel (L/R) plus one mono (for the chime).
    - Pin 5 = CD Changer R input
    - Pin 6 = Cassette R input
    - Pin 7 = Radio R input
    - Pin 8 = Mono input (chime)
    - Pin 11 = CD Changer L input
    - Pin 12 = Cassette L input
    - Pin 13 = Radio L input
    The Mixer (controlled by I2C buss) selects the desired pair of pins and the signal is sent to:
    - Pin 3 = Mixer R output
    - Pin 16 = Mixer L output
    The signal is feed back to the chip audio inputs:
    - Pin 2 = Audio R in
    - Pin 15 = Audio L in
    And then the signal is processed based on I2C buss data (volume/mute) and:
    - Pin 21 = Bass R in
    - Pin 18 = Bass L in
    - Pin 1 = Treble R
    - Pin 32 = Treble L
    As you can see in my previous post my inputs are on the bass input pins (this is why the auxiliary input volume is controlled by the bass knob). The volume control is done before the bass controls, so the volume knob has no effect over my auxiliary input (except for mute done on the outputs).
    The pins of interest are 2 and 15, by disconnecting pins 3 and 16 from there and connecting my inputs (using 100 nF capacitors) I can “force” in the chip my own signal regardless of what is selected by the mixer.
    Now, that everything is so clear having the diagram, all I need is time to do-it.
    Attached Images

*84ta is offline Cadillac Owners Member

New poster here, Bringing this thread back from the dead. N* I have a Delco CD player I am trying to add an aux jack to. I have done this to older radios, by tracing the signal to the pre-amp. I am have having trouble with the new radio. Just wondering if you could lend a few suggestions.

What year/model car?
    Is it BOSE?

Twiggr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Auxiliary input on a ’97 STS, version 1 WORKING!

Ncaddy,
    I own a 99 Eldorado ETC and made a wiring harnes to plug into the factory allowing me to use an aftermarket HU. After some time...I decided to revert back to the factory HU and did so with ease. My question is this....my radio is or looks exactly as the one you have pictured here....it is a NON bose system....and i found a cd changer plug in the trunk. I was able to get a6 disc changer from a 2000 SLS but havent had any luck with it reading the discs (Err message altho everything seems to work)...whether they were placed with the label down or up..it didnt matter...my guess is that the changer operates on a different data system like the bose...am i correct? I recently purchased the ACDelco 16199553 12disc changer you had recommended on earlier posts...im hoping this will work....if im incorrect please point me to the correct way and Im researching your aux input mod. If you can help me with buying the input or where to locate the parts needed as well as some instructions to install ill appreciate it. I know it involves breaking the HU down and im skilled enough to do soldering(or comfortable enuff to). i can be reached at techn@usa.com and if needed i can give my cellphone # if contacted. After reading your posts and trying the aftermarket route...its gonna be better and easier to just leave it stock and modify what is there.....i also want to tie in an aftermarket amp in the rear & im thinking it will be as easy as tieng into the rear audio signal with a line adapter and running the audio to the amp with rca. Thanks and i read a lot of your postings. Honestly u seem to be the togo to guy when it comes to these cadillac issues!!!

All you need for a non-BOSE setup is a jack connector with switching action. Is like $2 at ANY electronics part supplier, just make sure it has switching action (i.e. is 3.5 jack stereo but had 5 pins not 3). Is still 2 channels (stereo) but 1 pin is GND, one is Left IN, another is left OUT (NC contact) and the same for the right channel.
    This is one connector you can use.

As for the CD changer 6 or 12 disk works with the HU but only 12 disk was used in your car, the CD changer was designed for both BOSE and base sound systems the E&D data line between the HU and CD changer is the same.

Thanks for reply Ncaddy. Im having a problem with both changers coming up with an Err messsage. Both power up and cycle through the discs but when any one of the discs is called up...the error message is displayed and then it reverts to radio. Im at my wits end. Im just confused. Although I think I can do the aux modification if im careful...will u accept the work to do the mod if I look at it and decide its not in my realm of things? I can ship to you if need be....Ive read about use of a 8 pin but the 5 pin as u suggested i would suspect to be easier to deal with.....my eyes arent that great anymore. as noted in prior reply...i can be reached at the email listed. Thanks and hopefullly ill eventually figure this cd problem out......is there any module in between the radio and chnager that maybe i should look to see is in the car?

If the CD changer cycles to the disks but comes up with error then is unable to read the disks, so I am thinking the lens is dirty, or it has water damages and the pins on the banner cable going to the lens assembly are corroded. So open up the CD changer and disconnect all banner cables going to the CD module (one at a time) and inspect/clean the connectors. On this occasion, using a Q-tip, clean the lens, make sure the disk is spinning (that I had in a CD changer, it was not spinning the disks because of the banner cable connector).
    The CD changers are easy to fix, just make sure you observe all the screws holding the top cover (including the ones on the section that sticks out in the back (and I believe there is one underneath too, so that sticking section in the back where the connector goes is removed first).
    As for the AUX input, if you take care of shipping I can do it over one weekend free of charge obviously.

Got the 12 disk changer to work.....it may have been a combination of both. The 6 disc isnt reading but the 12 is now after i cleaned and checked the plug. As far as an aux input installed....im highly interested in having u install it...i'll pay to have it shipped to and from you of course. If u can contact me with shipping info i can try and send it this week. my contact email is techn@usa.com. Thanks and its definetly nice to be able to use my cd's again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.