XM radio---aftermarket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, XM radio---aftermarket in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have taken possesion of a new Cadillac SRX.. It's in Canada, so the XM was not available. XM does ...
    mike pruss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

XM radio---aftermarket

I have taken possesion of a new Cadillac SRX.. It's in Canada, so the XM was not available. XM does work up here, so I want to install an aftermarket XM unit, anybody done this ? any helpfull hints.
    Thanks, Mike.....
    p.s. would it be possible to replace the original head unit with an XM compatible one ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: XM radio---aftermarket

Mike, pls let me know if you get any PMs on this. I couldn't order the satellite radio on mine because of the sunroof conflict, so I'm looking for a good aftermarket one.

I've heard that XM Commander is one of the better ones....just don't know yet if it is compatible with the SRX stereo system or just has to be hooked up to FM.

doncapecod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mike, have you learned anything more on a satellite radio installation?

Don, here's what I learned. The factory stereo has a 2-pin type of antenna connection. So I purchased the FM emitting/power supply device ($30.00 at BestBuy) that is compatible with the XM Roady. Plugged it into the rear cargo area 12 volt lighter socket, tuned it to the 107.7 setting and voila' , XM through the radio. It seems to work pretty good. Mostly listen to talk radio (NASCAR, CNBC) and the audio sounds good. No 'hard' wiring required, and the antenna comes through the lift gate area. There is a lot of plastic in the roof area, so the antenna placement is somewhat limited.....
    Mike

compfan03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mike - can you please elaborate on your setup. There's a comment in another thread about the FM transmitter not working well with the Cadillac FM radio. Can you detail exactly how you set this up. FM transmitter gets plugged into 12 volt for power and into XM radio audio out? Is that how it works? Are you getting good radio reception?

Here is exactly what I did. Stuck the antenna near the back of roof, ran the wire through the weather stripping (put a small slit in the WS and then some black silicone to prevent any leaks. Tucked the wire under the WS and under the plastic. Plugged the power/FM emitter plug into the socket under the DVD player and ran the 3 wires down the side of the console and tucked them under the plastic. Mounted the roady on the console to the right of the shifter. Tuned radio to 107.7 and seems to work without any problems. The only wires that are visable are the three that come out of the radio, and these are exposed for about 4". So, in a nutshell, antenna wire comes from the rear cargo area, and the power wire and the signal wire go to the lighter socket under the DVD player. As for sound quality, I would say that it is better than using the cassette adapter and not as clear as a FM radio station. Unless you are a real audiophile, it's pretty decent. The best part is, no holes to drill, and I can remove the whole system in 3 minutes. Hope this helps.
    Mike.....

one other note, there is not a lot of FM stations around here, so getting interference from other stations is not really a problem. The FM emitter/power supply device allows you to choose from, I think, 8 different frequencies.

Mike......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.