After Market High End Audio Options?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, After Market High End Audio Options? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just purchased a CTS-V ( what a monster!!! ) Anyway, I would like to implement my audio system from ...
    Strangletooth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy After Market High End Audio Options?

I just purchased a CTS-V ( what a monster!!! ) Anyway, I would like to implement my audio system from my previous car ( BMW ) and I'm having some difficulty finding if it's even possible for one and then if so, someone that's "more" than capable of doing it... Anyway, the current system is "almost" acceptable when running a CD, but certainly not with normal radio functions and XM, I've been using XM for nearly 2 years and I use it about 90% of the time, so it's become a staple...

Obviously, it has the Bose system and I want to keep the existing head unit, NAV, etc etc, I just want to crank it when I want, which is most of the time. I'm really missing those crisp highs and some low end as well.

I have 3 Rockford Amps and a 1600W Kenwood Mono amp, 2 12's, and some Ecplipse components and 5.25's. I'm not opposed to buying new speakers or even half of a new system if that's what it takes, I just "need" my tunes!

Has anyone done this yet, or know of a place to turn to? I've scoured the web, talked to a few integration companies and nothing, notta...

Any help would be most appreciated!

Awesome forum by the way!

Thanx in advance!

Pat
    Glen Carbon, IL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: After Market High End Audio Options?

I doubt it as this unit is integral to the car. The only chance is if, the Head unit has an aux input or output. It would have to be disassembled to check it. I have a V but Im not inclined to start pulling a $50k car apart to make the stereo moderately better. Good luck. If you find a way into the system, let us know.

So far I've been told that it "could" be possible by tapping into each speaker for a signal and running back to an amp, and using an additional pair of speakers some how, somewhere. I know you can buy some rather small tweaters that would do the trick, and I was also thinking of a custom rear deck, If I can use the 2 12's I have, I won't need to keep the Bose sub, as long as it stays connected somewhere, it will be fine if this would work. I know, or at least have been told, that you can't remove or disconnect any of the Bose speakers, so we're limited in that area.

I'm certainly not going to risk losing any feature of this car, so a seamless integration the "only" solution.

Still looking and I will certainly share what I find.

Thanx again!
    Pat

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Yep, can easily be done. I'm in the process of narrowing down what I want to do now, since I just figured out *how* to do it.

All the CTS radios incorporate a Class 2 bus, which only supplies a single left and right signal to the amp, and then the amp splits that signal into each speaker. So the only way to tap the system is to tap in *after* the amplifier. In all cases, it looks like the best taps are made with the front and rear "midrange" door speakers coming out of the amp, as these are full-range outputs. (I should have pin-outs up on my site shortly.)

A good PAC OEM-2 will give you the line-out conversion and the amp remote turn-on. Best of all, in this way, you don't need to use the factory amp to actually run any speakers.

Ok, sounds good, but... What about On Star, Phone, etc? are you going with the same concept as I have thought, whereas you would have to retain all of the factory speakers and add 2 or 4 where possible, while still utilizing/enabling the factory "Bose" speakers? I've been told that with the Bose system, each speaker has it's own amplifier attached directly to the speaker and those can't be disabled or replaced.

Got a link to your site?

Thanx!
    Pat

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Strangletooth
    Ok, sounds good, but... What about On Star, Phone, etc? are you going with the same concept as I have thought, whereas you would have to retain all of the factory speakers and add 2 or 4 where possible, while still utilizing/enabling the factory "Bose" speakers? I've been told that with the Bose system, each speaker has it's own amplifier attached directly to the speaker and those can't be disabled or replaced.

Got a link to your site?

Thanx!
    Pat

Bose has different systems. Some have individually amplified speakers. Most of the new systems have a single amplifier that power all speakers, as is the case for the CTS. This makes things much easier for installing aftermarket products. PAC audio has adapters that can retain OnStar and chimes so those shouldn't be a problem. There website is http://www.pac-audio.com/index.asp

If you utilize the speaker outputs from the amp as I have described, you won't need anything. The CTS bose system has one amp. The chimes play through the front left speaker output, and onstar plays through the audio system as well. If you splice into the speaker outputs coming *out* of the amplifier, the system has no idea you just added an amp. There is no bose specific activity going on between the amp and the speakers other than you have to retain the left front door speaker output so you can hear your chimes - you just end up running it again through a second amp now.

As for PAC, I recently contacted them, and they indicated they have nothing specific for the CTS/SRX/XLR radios. They utilize a dual Class 2 circuit which also provides much of the DIC info within the radio, and feature proprietary connectors and pin-outs. They said they don't plan to come out with anything for these for a while, if ever.

Sorry, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    Sorry, my mistake.
    No, no. I thought the same too. But after digging into my system, and looking up the wiring schematics, I figured it out myself, then asked, and was told exactly whay I suspected. It's so proprietary! When I get the schematics up, you'll see how crazy the setup is.

Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So is there is easy (and cheap) way to upgrade a Bose system?

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant

Thanks for these. These may help greatly when I try to swap a Navigation system into my CTS this summer. You wouldn't happen to have the navigation system schematics would you? Also, If anyone needs any connector level diagrams of any of the CTS's head units or where the components are, I can post those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    Thanks for these. These may help greatly when I try to swap a Navigation system into my CTS this summer. You wouldn't happen to have the navigation system schematics would you? Also, If anyone needs any connector level diagrams of any of the CTS's head units or where the components are, I can post those.
    Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.gpowner.com/mods/nav.pdf

If I am reading that right, the only thing you may need to add is the two Nav Signal wires back to the bose amp (lower right). I think the radio already has the Coax Nav Attenna for Onstar (My radio [single disc]) has a coax connection already made in back...However, it DOES require the Bose amp .

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.gpowner.com/mods/nav.pdf

If I am reading that right, the only thing you may need to add is the two Nav Signal wires back to the bose amp (lower right). I think the radio already has the Coax Nav Attenna for Onstar (My radio [single disc]) has a coax connection already made in back...However, it DOES require the Bose amp .
    Thanks! You're right about the two nav signal wires for the bose system. If I'm reading my harness assignments correctly, GM also has a nav systems (U2Y and U2X) that don't require these leads so I'm hoping to find one of these units so I don't have to replace my amp, wiring harnesses and speakers.

Hmm...the connector views don't match the schematic It looks like the standard non-bose also has the navigation voice prompt outputs so I wonder if the amp has inputs for these. Too bad I dont' have the connector diagrams for the Bose and Non-Bose Amps. Can you help me out again?
    O yea, here's what I'm looking at: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mattb...Connectors.pdf

From the schematics, it looks like the Nav system uses GPS data from OnStar. The Coax antenna is only needed when the car doesn't have onstar (w/o UE1). I wonder what that coax cable going into the back of the radio is used for. I thought it was the FM antenna at first but the connector view shows that the FM composite signal comes in through one of the harnesses.

Sorry for the lack of flow in this post, I'm tired and my thought process isn't running very smoothly right now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.