After Market High End Audio Options? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, After Market High End Audio Options? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Miscreant, Where did you get the wiring diagrams? Also, where is the amplifier located and do you know what the ...
    Lanman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Re: After Market High End Audio Options?

Miscreant,

Where did you get the wiring diagrams? Also, where is the amplifier located and do you know what the steps are for removing the factory radio?

Lanman

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Mbai2,

1) The U2X and U2Y are export (Europe and Japan) nav systems, so no joy there as they actually require even MORE stuff [which explains all the additional wiring {video out, special traffic antenna}]. You need the UAV nav unit.

2) I can get you the connector end views tomorrow at work. On my connector end views, it specifically says the two nav wires are for (UAV,U2X,U2Y) equipped vehicles (ie, nav units) - but it would be simple to run those wires.

3) That coax is from the Radio Antenna module in the headliner. The module receives about 6 coax inputs and then runs one coax input to the radio (Keyless entry, tire pressure, AM/FM, second FM, etc). Another very good reason why you probably do not want to replace the factory Head unit.

4) what radio do you currently have? Bose or Non Bose?

Lanman,

I work for an Auto Group and have access to the SI2000 GM website.

The amp is located in the left rear trunk area, behind the left trunk panel.

To gain access to the radio, simply pull out on the top air vent assembly (it will pop out) remove the hazzard plug (or fold the assembly up onto the dsah out of your way), then open up the ashtray and remove the small bolt behind the ashtray (pop the felt ashtray out), and then pull out on the entire HVAC unit (will pop out). At this time you can then remove the 10mm bolts that secure the radio (2 at top, 2 at bottom) and pull the radio out.

Please note, you will need a magnetic socket to put the small bolt behind the ashtray back in, as there is no room to "hold" it to get it started - you need to magnetize the socket in order to get the little bolt to stay in the socket while you feed it back inside the ashtray...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

I have the U2R single disc radio with U66 non-bose amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    I have the U2R single disc radio with U66 non-bose amplifier.
    Ah, so you're going to need the Nav headunit, a bose amplifier, and a new amplifier harness (the bose unit used a different set of connectors.). The U66 doesn't have the Nav audio.

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Ah, so you're going to need the Nav headunit, a bose amplifier, and a new amplifier harness (the bose unit used a different set of connectors.). The U66 doesn't have the Nav audio.

I was afraid of that...new amplifier also means i have to by a new subwoofer (since bose is SVC and non-bose is DVC) and also a center midrange. Running new wiring harness may turn out to be a PITA also. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that the user switched out his radio with a nav system and the key was to get a non-bose if you have a non-bose and a bose if you have a bose. I didn't know non-bose nav systems existed. Was this guy just blowing smoke?

Strangletooth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanx everyone! You guys are amazing!

I guess we'll be rolling on this next week, window tinting tomorrow and tunes Mon.

I also talked with a guy yesterday, but he was very quiet about any details, he said that we should wait a few months as someone, someone meaning, not PAC or Soundgate, so your guess is as good as mine, is coming out with "the" box, it will simplify this process and it's specifically made to do what I'm ( and it seems others ) trying to do here, but it will take all the guessing our and give you 4 RCA out's and retain all functions of the head unit, On Star and Integrated phone. Sounds like a solution for those who want a simplified way to upgrade.

Anyway, I guess we'll roll with this and go from there, I'll certainly let everyone know how it turns out and pics accordingly.

Thanx!
    Pat

I was afraid of that...new amplifier also means i have to by a new subwoofer (since bose is SVC and non-bose is DVC) and also a center midrange. Running new wiring harness may turn out to be a PITA also. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that the user switched out his radio with a nav system and the key was to get a non-bose if you have a non-bose and a bose if you have a bose. I didn't know non-bose nav systems existed. Was this guy just blowing smoke?
    Non-bose nav??? According to the scematics and pinouts, the non-bose amp does not feature the nav audio controls, and the Nav comes with bose standard from the factory. Don't know how that is possible.

You don't necessarily need to rerun the harness - just buy the harness and splice it into the original harness at the amp. Also, you don't necessarily need to run a center speaker, or new rear sub, just simply turn the DSP off (no need for the center channel) and run both voice coils to one line on the bose. (my thought).

I'd like to know who did this nav swap before. Who - Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Strangletooth
    Thanx everyone! You guys are amazing!

I guess we'll be rolling on this next week, window tinting tomorrow and tunes Mon.

I also talked with a guy yesterday, but he was very quiet about any details, he said that we should wait a few months as someone, someone meaning, not PAC or Soundgate, so your guess is as good as mine, is coming out with "the" box, it will simplify this process and it's specifically made to do what I'm ( and it seems others ) trying to do here, but it will take all the guessing our and give you 4 RCA out's and retain all functions of the head unit, On Star and Integrated phone. Sounds like a solution for those who want a simplified way to upgrade.

Anyway, I guess we'll roll with this and go from there, I'll certainly let everyone know how it turns out and pics accordingly.

Thanx!
    Pat
    The nice thing about the way I am planning to do it is that I can easily revert to a better way later - that's the nice thing about going in between the amp and the speakers - I'm not messing with anything before the amp. So when something comes along better, my integration should be easy...

Non-bose nav??? According to the scematics and pinouts, the non-bose amp does not feature the nav audio controls, and the Nav comes with bose standard from the factory. Don't know how that is possible.

You don't necessarily need to rerun the harness - just buy the harness and splice it into the original harness at the amp. Also, you don't necessarily need to run a center speaker, or new rear sub, just simply turn the DSP off (no need for the center channel) and run both voice coils to one line on the bose. (my thought).

I'd like to know who did this nav swap before. Who - Where?
    Apparently Ratso has done it. Just search for his posts on cadillacforums. In this http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388 he posted that the replacement needs to be bose of the original was bose, and non-bose if the original was non bose. Then in this thread http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146 he stated that he has a DVD-based navigation for sale for non-bose systems. I tried PM'ing him but he never responded. He also hasn't posted anything for almost a year as if he just dissappeared. If you can get any further info on swapping radios, be sure to let me know.

Wouldn't running the bose sub channel to both the voice coils on the sub create a very low impedence? I'm worried that this might damage the amplifier.

Wouldn't running the bose sub channel to both the voice coils on the sub create a very low impedence? I'm worried that this might damage the amplifier.
    Maybe. My guess is the "bose" sub (called dB or something) is *arg* 1 ohm! My Trailblazer had the bose speaker system in it, and the 6.5" subs in the door were 1 ohm! I want to say, but I will check here soon, that each coil is 4 ohm, in parallel, so a 2 ohm load. It's not unusual for Bose amps to run 2 or even 1 ohm loads, that's how they produce such high volume, but typically distort at high volume as well...

I wish I knew how there is a bose and non-base nav system. By the schematics, it does not indicate why the headunit would matter. It's whether the amplifier has the nav audio channels, which the U66 does not. I would like to get a hold of that person.......

Hey, I read this person's posts. Read his posts again, but this time think "aftermarket" Nav. I believe he's talking about an aftermarket nav unit. he even says "To add a nav system can not be called a complete install. There will be features that just will not work, like traffic, voice command, or TV." When I first read the posts, I was thinking, ah he swapped in a factory unit....but know that I re-read it, I think he's talking about adding an aftermarket nav system(???)

Hey, I read this person's posts. Read his posts again, but this time think "aftermarket" Nav. I believe he's talking about an aftermarket nav unit. he even says "To add a nav system can not be called a complete install. There will be features that just will not work, like traffic, voice command, or TV." When I first read the posts, I was thinking, ah he swapped in a factory unit....but know that I re-read it, I think he's talking about adding an aftermarket nav system(???)

If this person was referring to the GM service manual, he would have assumed that the US Nav system comes with a traffic receiver and TV tuner (same mistake I made). For some reason the service manual refers to the export version. It even shows the steering wheel on the right side of the car in a few diagrams. I'm pretty sure he's still talking about the OEM nav system though. The comment about voice command is probably due to the fact that he didn't hook up the OnStar microphone to the headunit so there was no way for the system to listen to commands.

As for the sub, if anyone has a bose system, could they look on the back of the voice coil housing to check for the ohm rating on it. It should be printed on the sub and viewable from the trunk.

As for the sub, if anyone has a bose system, could they look on the back of the voice coil housing to check for the ohm rating on it. It should be printed on the sub and viewable from the trunk.
    I'll check today on some units on the lot.

Lanman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

The problem with tapping into the factory system after the amp is that you're taking your amplifier and amplifing the crappy output of the Bose amplifier. I've also heard that the Bose amplifier has internal crossovers so that means that your amplifier won't receive a full range signal. The ideal solution (when trying to keep the factory radio) is to tap into the radio outputs before they reach the Bose amplifier. Strangletooth mentioned something about someone making a "box" that will keep all the radio functions and provide four RCA outs. That's what we really need. Maybe Strangletooth can dig up some more details for us.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.