Replacement for the on-glass Onstar ant.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Replacement for the on-glass Onstar ant. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I removed the OnStar on-glass antenna from my '04 CTS and installed a tri-band surface mount dipole antenna. (Currently OnStar ...
    CTShead is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replacement for the on-glass Onstar ant.

I removed the OnStar on-glass antenna from my '04 CTS and installed a tri-band surface mount dipole antenna. (Currently OnStar uses the analog cell band)
    I used a thin blade putty knife to remove both inside and outside parts, then used a razor blade to remove the remaining adhesive.
    I then installed the new antenna on the inside of the car behind the sub-woofer, between the rear glass and the carpet on the rear deck (centered left to right).
    I dressed the coax around and back up to the original coax connector and hid the entire connector/coax behind the side panel. So, all you can see is the antenna (4.5" x .8" x .1"thk)
    So far the new antenna works every bit as good as the original one.
    The LED on the right side of the mirror will turn RED, because my new antenna design is different from the on-glass design (the original antenna appears as a dead short across the coax to DC, my new antenna appears as a open circuit to DC)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Replacement for the on-glass Onstar ant.

:coolgleam That antenna looks more like a basketball goal than an antenna! Seriously, would like to see a better picture of the actual antenna without the glare on the window. Where did you get the new antenna and what's the cost? I hate the factory antenna!

Don
    -1-

The antenna is a ANT-DB1-VDP from www.linxtechnologies.com.
    It cost ~$7. I couldnt use the TNC connector that came with the new antenna, since the connector on the end of the OnStar coax was already a TNC connector (its a press fit type), So I soldered a TNC jack onto the end of the new antenna coax.
    Sorry about the picture. The antenna is hard to see since its black, and the carpet on the rear deck is black. Its difficult to see it in person as well.

-1-

CTSHead,

Thanks for the info on the replacement onstar antenna. Is this a suitable substitute for the original antenna? Do you know if you lost any of the onstar functions? Where did you get the connector that you soldered to the antenna lead? THANKS!

Don
    -1-

I havent lost any functions. I am able to use virtual advisor, get my GPS location, place cell calls, and talk to the on-star operator and the operator confirmed my on-star was functioning correctly.

-1-

CTShead, I need your help. I ordered the same antenna you have from Linxs Technologies. I inquired about the TNC adapter you mentioned. They can't supply it. Do you have a part number, item description, and where can I obtain one? THANKS!

Don
    -1-

You might try Radioshck. I'm a amateur radio operator, and I had a connector in my junk box.
    What you might try is this:
    First, dont remove the original antenna until your satisfied with the new antenna performance (just unplug it for the coax)
    Next, trim the coax on the new antenna to just a little longer than needed (after dressing the coax around the window), go to Radioshack and see if they have a TNC to mate with the end of the on-star coax on the car (I think they do), or buy a female BNC connector that you can solder to the end of the antenna coax.
    The BNC connector will have 2 tiny nubs on either side of the barrel (file them off). (BNC is a twistlock version on the TNC).

Shaun V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

From what I have heard caddy is integrating the XM and on-star antenna. Can this be retrofitted to the previous cars?

-1-

Quote Originally Posted by CTShead
    You might try Radioshck. I'm a amateur radio operator, and I had a connector in my junk box.
    What you might try is this:
    First, dont remove the original antenna until your satisfied with the new antenna performance (just unplug it for the coax)
    Next, trim the coax on the new antenna to just a little longer than needed (after dressing the coax around the window), go to Radioshack and see if they have a TNC to mate with the end of the on-star coax on the car (I think they do), or buy a female BNC connector that you can solder to the end of the antenna coax.
    The BNC connector will have 2 tiny nubs on either side of the barrel (file them off). (BNC is a twistlock version on the TNC).
    CTShead - Thanks for the info.

Don
    -1-

S10xGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Dumb question: which antenna is for what? I have two, a small vertical "aerial" on the backglass and a submarine sonar-looking thing on the roof.

The antenna that sticks up mounted on the glass, is the On-Star.
    The roof antenna I would guess must be the XM, but Cadillac may have moved the GPS antenna. I have been told that the GPS antenna was located behind the rear-view mirror.
    I have also heard that many GM cars have a combo On-Star/GPS antenna, but I do know the on-glass antenna is only On-Star.
    Also, the "AM-FM-Remote Entry" antenna's are located on (screen printed onto the inside surface of the glass, just like the rear window defogger)both the front and rear glass for diversity reception.

A lot of antennas in a modern car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.