Starting Disabled - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Starting Disabled in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Next time I do one of these I'll take some pictures and post it so there is no doubt about ...
    ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Starting Disabled

Next time I do one of these I'll take some pictures and post it so there is no doubt about what is wrong. Here are some answers which I feel are difinitive.

1. The only time I have seen a bad key is when the pellet falls out.
    The "pellet" is simply a resistor that has one of 15 values. Each value has a certain readable range meaning they allow for a varaiance of several ohms for the value for manufacturing tolerances
    2. The most common failure by far is the wiring inside the column, again this would be easier to demonstrate with a photo. The wires are very tiny and very frail. They are held in one place by a small clip inside the column but as the cylinder rotates the wires move inside the column. Moving copper wires back and forth thousands of times will eventually cause the wires to break. Sometimes they break inside the insulation which causes intermittent contact and an intermittent problem. I'd say 9 9/10 times out of 10 it's the lock cylinder.
    3. If the wires break while the car is running it will be in "fail enable mode", which means the car knows it's broken so it will re-start for you until you get it repaired. The security indicator or Pass-key indicator will be on constantly. In this instance you don't need a pellet, just a matching mecanical key cut.
    4. If you measure the resistance of the pellet with an ohm meter and go to radio shack, you can go under the dash and cut the wires, solder in a matching resistor and "bypass" the theft system. I recommend against this procedure as it just makes it that much easier for someone to steal your car. As with any system there is a way around it... sure... but better something than nothing wouldn't you say?
    5. It can be done by anyone, but it requires a few special tools. Especially if it has an airbag on the steering wheel. You need a lock plate depressor and a steering wheel puller. Some hand tools and some picks to remove various snap rings. Getting the wires in and out of the column is not too hard but it can be a pain. I usually cut the old wires and use them to fish the new wires through the column.

Hope this info helps out.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post some photos.

bschelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS 1999 Deville 1991 Eldorado

My key measures 1.87k. Radio Shack does not have one at or near this. The range is 1.795 to 1.965. Any suggestions as to where I can get a 1.87k resistor?

darkhart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95' STS

Hey guys reading this thrend has been of a great importance, thanks to everyone who has posted helpful information here.....I too have been getting the dreaded "wait 3 minutes" message.. I have a 95 STS, and I believe that I've waited far to long for now it won't start at all. It went from the wait 3 minutes message then later it stopped giving this message and just stopped starting all together and I would have to wait about 3-15 minutes(usually this would happen right after if I had been previously driving, say going across town or to the store or something). If I got right back in it wouldn't started and I'd have to wait about 3-15 minutes the it would start. I even got to thinking that maybe the starter was going out because when I turn the key I can hear something "click" but no start. Well anyhow, while I was at work today, my wife calls and tells me that the car won't start at all and it's been several hours. When I got off work(had to bum a ride from the boss) I'd tried starting the car and nothing but the click! The battery is fully charged, so I started reading on hear again and more and more it sounds just like the problems you guys have been describing...
    I'm not sure if I read the value on my key correctly though so someone please tell if I'm doing this right....I took my DMM and set it to read in ohms, I touched one side of the chip on one side of the key with one lead and the other side of the chip on the opposite side the the other lead and got a reading of .887k ohms , does this sound right? Any help you can give will be greatly appricated because this is now a priority fix because we only have this car that was running due to the fact that my wifes car was recently wrecked......Sorry if this is too long....

OKC-91Seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd
    Next time I do one of these I'll take some pictures and post it so there is no doubt about what is wrong. Here are some answers which I feel are difinitive.

1. The only time I have seen a bad key is when the pellet falls out.
    The "pellet" is simply a resistor that has one of 15 values. Each value has a certain readable range meaning they allow for a varaiance of several ohms for the value for manufacturing tolerances
    2. The most common failure by far is the wiring inside the column, again this would be easier to demonstrate with a photo. The wires are very tiny and very frail. They are held in one place by a small clip inside the column but as the cylinder rotates the wires move inside the column. Moving copper wires back and forth thousands of times will eventually cause the wires to break. Sometimes they break inside the insulation which causes intermittent contact and an intermittent problem. I'd say 9 9/10 times out of 10 it's the lock cylinder.
    3. If the wires break while the car is running it will be in "fail enable mode", which means the car knows it's broken so it will re-start for you until you get it repaired. The security indicator or Pass-key indicator will be on constantly. In this instance you don't need a pellet, just a matching mecanical key cut.
    4. If you measure the resistance of the pellet with an ohm meter and go to radio shack, you can go under the dash and cut the wires, solder in a matching resistor and "bypass" the theft system. I recommend against this procedure as it just makes it that much easier for someone to steal your car. As with any system there is a way around it... sure... but better something than nothing wouldn't you say?
    5. It can be done by anyone, but it requires a few special tools. Especially if it has an airbag on the steering wheel. You need a lock plate depressor and a steering wheel puller. Some hand tools and some picks to remove various snap rings. Getting the wires in and out of the column is not too hard but it can be a pain. I usually cut the old wires and use them to fish the new wires through the column.

Hope this info helps out.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post some photos.
    Regarding 5 - Can you please let me know if you got around to posting this set of instructions. I don't want to mess with an airbag but have a contact to some good mechanics that work spare time jobs. It would make it a great deal easier to provide them the procedure. I get a better job done in less time without the risk of a novice error. Car is a 91 Seville. Also looking for a good maintenace manual so I can make educated decisions on when to perform work myself, when to have it done as a side job, and when to take it to a shop. It is old but runs well. Just have to manage the funds invested vs. the risk of a large failure. OKC-91Seville

Somewhere I recently posted instructions on how to remove a turn signal switch, it's the same as that with a few more steps.
    If you don't see me post anything more on this in the next day or two PM me and I'll see if I can put something together for you.
    I don't have any in the shop right now so I don't have any picture material.
    Keep reminding me and I'll see if I can get one done. They don't come back to me as much as they used to since they updated the steering columns a few years back.
    Most people take their cars to independents once they get about 5 years old.
    (translation=when the warranty runs out)

bigjimscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 1998 deville

got 98 deville cranks will not start need help!

Leeb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Wow, im surprised that domestic vehicles ALREADY had chipped ignition security systems waay back in 89! Cool stuff!
    Well, its not REALLY 'chipped' in the way you're thinking...

It IS a resistor w/ 1 of like 15 different 'values' which match the deterrent system...

When the wires at the ignition switch fail (and from what I understand, they ALL do), it is possible to get a resistor of the close-as-possible value and splice it into the undercolumn wiring as was done..

Many alarm systems that do remote starting have them installed 'by relay' so that the bypass only happens when the alarm system is starting the car...

(See what happens when you jump into the middle of a thread?)

trukin4life is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When I turn the key nothing happens. But I don't get any message about waiting 3 min or anything like that. I replaced the ignition switch (not the cylinder) anymore ideas.

digitalcaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Hobnail View Post
    I just repaired my 97 Eldorado starting problem today. I choose to insert a resistor that matches the pellet value in my key. You can go to Radio Shack and purchase an inexpensive volt ohm meter and use it to measure your key pellet. Then purchase a resistor that matches the value. Use a 1/4 watt fixed resistor or if you cannot find the exact value then purchase a variable resistor trim pot and adjust it to match your key pellet value. I used a 10 turn trim pot adjusted to a 2.33 kilo ohm value. Someone at the store should be able to help you with this.

You will need to remove the cover under the steering column. Mine has a decor cover with a metal cover under it. Once you have all of that out of the way, locate the large multi-pin connector next to the column. Locate the 2 wire orange wire harness which should be in positions 12 and 13; they are the last two on that row. Positions 10 and 11 were empty on my wiring. Cut the orange wire harness about 3 inches from the large connector. Strip about 1/2 inch of insulation from the ends and solder or crimp the reistor so that it bridges between positions 12 and 13 on the large connector. The resistor should now be the only connection between 12 and 13, do not re-connect the wiring that goes to the ignition key switch. The engine should now start when you turn the key. Insulate and tie wrap the resistor. I tie wraped the resistor to some of the other wires to keep it from flopping around.

Your anit-theft system will no longer function but at least the engine will start. Good Luck!
    I had "Wait 3 Minutes" and "Theft System Problem Car May Not Restart" messages on my '97 SLS and Hobnail's fix was right on the money. I did not have to remove the steering wheel...just the panels below the steering column above the pedals which can be done with a screwdriver and a socket wrench. The wires that you need to connect the resistor across were two thin (thinner than everything else plugged into the large terminal block) white wires wrapped in orange shrink tubing at one end of the connector just as he said. The Theft system is now bypassed, but the car starts every time and doesn't spit out messages as if something is wrong. The resistance on my key was 680 Ohms.

poodleface is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am having this problem in my 97 STS, but I have a remote starter that worked fine for almost a year. I get this problem sometimes no matter if I use the key or the remote. Shouldn't this problem already be bypassed when with the remote starter?

Whoever installed the remote start should have had to bypass this sytem already.
    You might have to take it back to them.

poodleface is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, I had someone in my extended family do it. To make a long story short, we are no longer in contact.

WillyMore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

same problem here. I will let you know the outcome

sweetli'ldeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey to you caddi lovers, I can't thank yousguys enough for all the help I ever got from your past experiences with this
    'darn' car. Always a hair puller when a wire gives up the ghost. I still can't help but love her. I got her right off a rollback
    as she was pulled into the boneyard. Not much but a right front wipe but noone would fix her up. All else was 'brand new'.
    I'm a sucker for a beautiful interior and it was that. THANKS MUCH!!!! CULATA!!!!!!!!!

robert7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: pass key start disabled - ebill3rd - Do you have any illustrations or specific advice for a 91 seville? My father is going to junk his soon, after having it 'repaired' by the dealer. I just want to bypass, do it cheap, and would like to know exactly where and what to look for, hence illustration inquiry. Any information would be truly appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.