Starting Disabled - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Starting Disabled in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Spyder I don't know if what I did was right or wrong, but I got that message ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Starting Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    I don't know if what I did was right or wrong, but I got that message one day and I took my key to the vice in the garage, took a hammer and a little punch, knocked out the little metal chip in the key itself, and it works beautifully now. Havn't had a problem since then...the spare key still has the chip, my regular one does not. Both work great. Is this normal?
    NO. The one without the chip should not start the car.

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

I had an ignition key cut by a local locksmith and thought $15 was rather steep until I began reading threads like this. I'd check out the local locksmiths before going to a dealer.

Regards,
    Warren

redginger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Starting Disabled

Hello everyone ... im new here and i have a 90-seville....im now getting the famous "starting disabled, and wait three mins" message ... (i supose sooner or later we all will get it) lol ... Anyway .... both my keys wont work and im not sure if i get another key made if it will work either... should i try getting one made anyway??? Has anyone ever tried the disconnect the battery thing to see if it works ??? Is there no way to disable the security feature ???? I read about the bypass with resistor thing, sounds good but dont know anyone who could do it ..... any insightful help out there ??? Thx in advance

anggarci is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 96 Sedan Deville with the same issue. I'm going to attempt to put a resistor in myself but need to know where to buy them, can anyone help? All I have is a Chilton Manual, will this be sufficient in helping me or should I reconsider and take it to a mechanic or dealer?

anggarci is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had to get a steering wheel puller from Autozone and I got the steering wheel oof but I was unable to get the plactic part off. The chilton's manual again failed to give specific instructions for dismantling the colum. I was unable to get to the wires so I could not find any problem. However I havn't had a problme in about 2 weeks, should I act as if it's fixed or take it to a dealer?

DanDan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Bypassing the Vats system is quite easy as there are only 16 resistor values used. I would recommend bypassing the system as it is outdated but I would also recommend installing some sort of anti theft device too. I have to go over my notes and see if I can find where on the net it is posted. I have a hard time telling customers to spend that kind of money to fix an outdated system. The newer Passlock systems such as the 1 and 2 are now experiencing problems. The resistor is now in the ignition cylinder and works off the hall effect method. The problem with the resistor based systems is they are very easy to defeat by a thief, giving you a false sense of security. The new Passkey 3 system is transponder based and you have to use that exact key. Very effective! If I find the answer for the bypass I will post it.

DanDan

Carter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 89 Eldorado steering column so I can try the resistor bypass fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    When the wiring circuit to the lock cylinder is open, the resistor in the key is not read and the car will not start. The simplest and cheapest fix (less than $1) is to disconnect the connector for this circuit (located on lower part of steering column) and place the appropriate value resistor (measure key resistor) in the circuit at that point.
    Eric, I am having this problem and can't afford the shop. I got a guy that can help, but he needs to know exactly what wires to cut for the resistor. I have the 89 Eldorado. Is it at all possible that you could please send a picture/diagram of exactly what wires to do what to? I can get the resistor measurement, but beyond that I am not sure what to do. What does the connector for this circuit look like, for instance?

Please help, I can't get to work!

Well, are all of your guys fixes still working? Did anyone ever have an opinion whether a new key can fix it if both keys currently do not work?

If I get a keyless entry system installed will that fix it? Not that I can afford it right now, but just asking.

builderl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Starting Disabled

I am having the same problem with my 94 Deville. I find the same answer about disabling the VATS with a resistor BUT I cannot determine which wires are correct. I have been on my head trying to pick the correct wires but I have not been able to be positive about the ones to cut.
    Does anyone have a diagram or picture or link.

Please help a large number of us start our cars!!!!

Thank you

Hobnail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe 3.6L

I just repaired my 97 Eldorado starting problem today. I choose to insert a resistor that matches the pellet value in my key. You can go to Radio Shack and purchase an inexpensive volt ohm meter and use it to measure your key pellet. Then purchase a resistor that matches the value. Use a 1/4 watt fixed resistor or if you cannot find the exact value then purchase a variable resistor trim pot and adjust it to match your key pellet value. I used a 10 turn trim pot adjusted to a 2.33 kilo ohm value. Someone at the store should be able to help you with this.

You will need to remove the cover under the steering column. Mine has a decor cover with a metal cover under it. Once you have all of that out of the way, locate the large multi-pin connector next to the column. Locate the 2 wire orange wire harness which should be in positions 12 and 13; they are the last two on that row. Positions 10 and 11 were empty on my wiring. Cut the orange wire harness about 3 inches from the large connector. Strip about 1/2 inch of insulation from the ends and solder or crimp the reistor so that it bridges between positions 12 and 13 on the large connector. The resistor should now be the only connection between 12 and 13, do not re-connect the wiring that goes to the ignition key switch. The engine should now start when you turn the key. Insulate and tie wrap the resistor. I tie wraped the resistor to some of the other wires to keep it from flopping around.

Your anit-theft system will no longer function but at least the engine will start. Good Luck!

Glen OS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 SRX4 04 DeVille(Traded In) 92 Coupe DeVille-gone

I had a no start situation on Friday. After many hours of diagnosing and chasing, I narrowed it down to the Pass-Key. I did not feel like replacing the ignition lock cylinder so I came into the house and got on this forum and did a search. I found this thread and was able to get the car running for $.21 and many hours of my labor.
    I want to thank those of you that posted this info on here. It is a quick easy fix/bypass once you rule out everything else.

Falkstick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the resistance on my key was 6.82 k or so and the resistor I have is 6.7 k Will this make a big difference in wether the car starts or not? Also, Does accessing these wires require dissasembly of the column and wheel? or the panel just below the dash? THanks

Falkstick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: Starting Disabled

I figured out the problem and repaired it today. Thanks to Hobnail for the procedure in getting through. One way that helped me to find which wire it was. It should be the two wires that are coming from the steering column that are about as think as telephone wires. Mine were white very thin and had an orange covering around them. Took me about 1 and a half hours and was fairly easy. THanks all. Great info!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.