Need some Bose audio information
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Need some Bose audio information in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello! I just found this site and I'm hoping I can find someone willing to help me. I am building ...
    48builder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need some Bose audio information

Hello!

I just found this site and I'm hoping I can find someone willing to help me. I am building a custom 1948 Chevy street rod. I am using a '95 Z28 as a donor car. I have everything from the Z28 in the car, right down to the Bose speakers and wiring harness. I am building the car for my wife, and she wants CD and tape in the car. I have a complete Bose system from a '95 Seville 4-dr. I have the head unit, CDM, and speakers. In order to install it in my '48, I need to see a schematic of the head unit and CDM. I know what most of the wires are, but there are a few I'm not sure of.

I'm willing to pay for a scan or a description of the system. I tried the local Caddy dealer and they told me they don't have the service manual for the car. I think the same systemwas used in Cadillacs and Corvettes from 93-96. The CDM is where the tuner is, I know that much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Walt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Need some Bose audio information

Hi Walt, welcome to the forums!

I'm going to move this to the audio section where I'm hoping you'll get more response to it.

WarrenJ is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC Sequoia

Lots of info at: http://www.carstereohelp.com

From my 1995 manual:
    Attached Images

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Well, a basic description is.

1 Tape Deck/Cd Combo headunit
    4 Amps that are mounted to each speaker
    2 Enclousures with 3.5 inch speakers in them
    2 6x9 Speakers
    1 Tuner box.

That is all of the hardware you are going to encounter. Basicly it's just plug and play if you have all of the hardware.

Edit: Ok my brain isn't functioning right now, you already know whats in the system because you have it. I am not too terribly fond of the Bose system thats in these cars, I think the Camaros system is better. I am pretty sure that once you get the headunit installed, you can hook the camaro speakers up.

Thanks guys, more detail....

Actaully my plan is to use the Camaro speakers, includeing the powered sub. I know I can make it work once I find out what all the wires are.

Specifically;

The Cmarao uses The Bose relay, which is energized via the pink wire from the Camaro head unit. I don't have a corresponding pink wire on either the Caddy HU or the CDM.

On the Caddy HU, there are four wires on one connector (there are two clak connectors) that I have no clue what they are. One is orange and black, but right now I can't remember the others. I'm thinking the org/blk may be a power out that I can use to energize the relay? The other connector has the speaker out and dimming inputs.

Does the ignition (and RAP) power go to the CDM first, and then the HU?

WarrenJ, I found that schematic from another post of yours. Thank you very much. It was a help, but I still can't figure out a few things (see above). I assume the Caddy also uses a relay for the speaker amp power, but I don't know for sure. Dose your service manual have a section for that? My Camaro factory manual has separate pages for the Bose system. Can you tell me what the letter designation is for the Seville Bose system?

I'm trying to get this thing working this weekend so I can start working on fabricating the new dash. I'll post some pics of this car soon. I chopped the top and shortened the body by 2-3/16 inch. I also am using coupe dorrs instead of the stock sedan. The engine is the LT1 with 4L60E tranny. I'm even using the Z28 cruise control, gauges, shifter, rear suspension. The only mechanical pieces on the car that are not Z28 is the front suspension. That is from a '87 Grand Prix.

Thanks!

The switched power on the HU is what tells the FM reciever in the trunk to turn the amps on. I have a switch running from the constant hot over to the switched hot on the HU, so I can turn the raido on when the doors are open. When I turn the switch on, only the Bose audio system turns on, none of the other accessories. So that tells me that whenever the switched hot gets power, it tells everything else to turn on. If I were in your situation, I would use the switched hot to the Bose relay. Then you just wire the inputs from the headunit to whatever kind of amp the Camaro uses. If I am reading your question right, that SHOULD get you what you are looking for.

Man, do I need spellcheck.

I meant two black connectors on the head unit, not clak. The one connector I don't know has four wires; org/blk, gray, ppl/wh, and blk. I assume the blk is ground, and gray is dimming input, the others I don't know.

The other connector has the four audio out, counting the shield. Blk must be another gound, orange is either power in or out. If it's in then it is hot all the time. If it is out, then it can energize the relay. Yellow must be fuesed power, including power in reun and RAP. Brown is illumination.

Now, on the CDM, there are connectors on either side. the first one has the audio in and a YL, GR, and BLK. Here's where I'm not sure what is feeding what. Does power go to the CDM and then to the HU via the yellow?

The connector on the other side of the CDM has the 8 audio out wires. Then there are 4 others; ORG, YL, BLK/WH and GR. I know one of the GR from either the HU or the CDM is the power ant. messenger for the relay.

I guess if I was sure of the direction of flow from the HU to the CDM I would know what to do. I'm thinking at the HU the OR/BLK and ORG must be power in and power out, but not sure which is which. My guess is that power goes to the CDM first, then to the HU, and then the ORG/BLK wire energizes the relay. I just don't want to get something backwards.

JC316, that's a great idea with your hot switch. Once I get this thing working I may give that a try.

Thanks,

Walt

Does the Caddy even use a relay for the amps?

or is that handled in the CDM? If the power for all the amps comes from the CDM, thire gauge seems awful small compared to what goes to my amps from the Bose relay. I have been assuming that the Caddy also used a relay to run the amps. My Camaro setup has amps on each speaker in the front doors, then the powered sub with amps built inside that go to rear speakers that do not have amps built on them. If the Caddy handles that in the CDM, then I can bypass my Bose relay.

Jeez, I feel like a moron.

I just sat down and looked again at the link from warrenj. Now I see the power in and out. All I needed to do was match the connector and pin number to what I have and everything became clear. That's what I get for trying to do this stuff after a day of work, feeding the family, etc.

Now all I need to figure out is what the org/blk wire and ppl/wh wires are on connector C2 on the HU. I'm still thinking the ORG/BLK may be power I can use for the bose relay. If you guys know those two it would be a big help. If that doesn't work, I will use the switched hot coming from the CDM like JC316 suggested. My goal is to get this thing hooked up this weekend. I'll LYK how it goes.

I also see that the black/wh is the audio common from the CDM.

All I have to do is switch a few wires around and I should be all set.

Thanks again! BTW, can I make a donation to this site? Does it run on donations?

I am pretty sure that the org/blk wire is the hot and the ppl/wht wire is the antenna wire. I can double check these tomorrow for you.

Re: Thanks guys, more detail....

Quote Originally Posted by 48builder
    Specifically;
    The Cmarao uses The Bose relay, which is energized via the pink wire from the Camaro head unit. I don't have a corresponding pink wire on either the Caddy HU or the CDM . . . . I'm thinking the org/blk may be a power out that I can use to energize the relay? The other connector has the speaker out and dimming inputs . . . . Does the ignition (and RAP) power go to the CDM first, and then the HU? . . . . Can you tell me what the letter designation is for the Seville Bose system?
    1] You don' need no steenking pink wire (sorry, couldn't help that). Here's how it's done on the stock Seville: they use the ANTENNA OUTPUT to power the two trunk-mounted Bose relays! Since the antenna is always commanded UP when the radio/cassette/CD is on, it's a perfect source to power the two Bose relays. They use one relay for both Left amplifiers and the second relay powers both Right amplifiers. It's not shown in the drawing I provided you, but ANTENNA OUTPUT is on the radio receiver connector C1 Pin 8 (DK GRN).
    2] IGN/RAP--->CDM--->HU, but I see you already got that.
    3] Letter designation is U1G.
    4] Edited to add photos.

Regards,
    Warren

I got it now.

That explains the two green wires going to the antenna relay. I'll use one of those to energize my Bose relay. I'm going to try this tomorrow and see how it sounds.

Thanks again!

JC316, I'd still be interested in what the ORG/BLK and PPL/Wh wires do if you don't mind.

The manual lists the org/blk and ppl/wht under the base radio (non bose) as,

ppl/wht- VF dimmer

Org/blk- 16V VF power.

When I unplugged it, every part of my radio, including the dimmer, worked just fine. I also didn't get any power from the org/blk power wire. Personally, I think that is in there for the base radio only. Now why they would even put that connector in there if it was only for the base radio is beyond me. For my Bose radio, it dosen't do a damn thing. I also couldn't find them at the FM reciever, or in the service manual wiring diagrams, so I am completly stumped. I would ignore that particular connector.

Wooohooo!

Last night I made the changes I needed to do on the harnesses. It really just took splicing the cable from the CDM to the HU back together, and finding a wire to use for constant hot power to the HU. I found a wire that used to go to the brake control module, and ran it to the HU. I hooked up all the Camaro speakers, and I'm amazed how good it sounds. I think it sounds better than it did in the Seville. JC316 must be right. I think I will stick with the Camaro speakers over the Caddy's, since I have to fabricate the mounts no matter which ones I use. That's today's project; getting the speakers mounted in the car.

Thanks again for all the help!

Walt

I'm interested in why you found the Camaro speakers better. Is it because they had the tweeters installed and the Seville speakers did not?

I'm giving some thought to adding the tweeters to my door speakers.

Regards,
    Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.