98 STS several audio questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 98 STS several audio questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi folks, new to the forum, also a new owner of a beautiful '98 STS, I have some questions regarding ...
    BlackSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 98 STS several audio questions

Hi folks, new to the forum, also a new owner of a beautiful '98 STS, I have some questions regarding the rather complex audio system in this vehicle. I have done some searching but I'm rather confused about several things.

The car has a Bose stereo system with indash CD/Tape, has DSP and RDS radio controls (this may help in identifying the dash unit, as I believe there are several). It has no CD changer.

1. I would like to add a changer, I've seen many on eBay, and I've read that most Delco units work. Are these cars prewired for both Trunk & Console changers? Ideally I would like to get the console unit, but if not I'll settle for a trunk mounted one if its not prewired in the console.

2. Is there a way of adding an auxiliry input for an iPod, thru the CD Changer interface? I have an older 20GB 3rd Generation iPod that I would consider using in place of a changer if its possible to integrate it.

3. I very much like the sound loudness & quality, but I would like to add a little more bass thump, even though the factory subwoofer is very nice. I have a box and an amp from my old car, Is there a way to wire it into the existing setup? My amp has line level as well as speaker level inputs, I was thinking of simply splicing into the existing subwoofer cable and using my amp speaker input. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Re: 98 STS several audio questions

The STS should be prewired for a Delco 6CD changer right in the console. The trunk might also be prewired, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a 6th Ave Electronics store near you, I know they sell an aftermarket unit that can allow you to use the ipod throguh your car stereo. Most car audio places though, should carry something like this. It's basically a base for the ipod, attached to an RF Modulator that plays through a selected FM station on the radio. I don't knwo how well it works since I've never seen on in a car before, but it proably works just liek any other Changer with an RF modulator.

As far as the base, I think you might be able to wire an amp into the circuit for the woofer in the trunk, and then replace it with a more powerful unit. I think a few poeple here have done such an install, and would be able to tell you exactly what's involved.

Cool, I would prefer the console mounting. As for the iPod, I would like to avoid the FM Modulator way, if there's a way to use the line input from a CD Changer.

I actually live in Toronto, Canada (I forgot to fill out the location at signup) so I'll have to find other means of finding a changer, eBay most likely.

Thanks!

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

If you remove all of the storage compartments in the console, you will find the wiring harness there. My '02 SLS did not have a changer also. I bought one from Ebay, for about $90.00, and gave it a shot. It was supposedly from an '04 model. It worked fine, except, it would occassionally lose contact with the HU. Unplugging it, and plugging it back in, would fix the problem.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    If you remove all of the storage compartments in the console, you will find the wiring harness there. My '02 SLS did not have a changer also. I bought one from Ebay, for about $90.00, and gave it a shot. It was supposedly from an '04 model. It worked fine, except, it would occassionally lose contact with the HU. Unplugging it, and plugging it back in, would fix the problem.

Don
    Cool, I will try that tomorrow. I've seen a couple console changers on eBay, they come with a special console insert or sleeve that the changer sits in, otherwise its pretty much the same changer right? They are pricey, damn it.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSTS
    Cool, I will try that tomorrow. I've seen a couple console changers on eBay, they come with a special console insert or sleeve that the changer sits in, otherwise its pretty much the same changer right? They are pricey, damn it.
    Het, just my opinion. I wouldn't pay more than $100.00 for the changer. You are not certain that it will work. If it doesn't, you can turn it around on Ebay, probably for what you paid for it. Anytime you shop Ebay, you take your chances. When I was looking for mine, I saw plenty for $100 or more. Just be patient, and you will find one. Also, not all changers will operate with all head units. They almost have to be made for each other. On a side note. I have mine, if you want to give it a try. I will take $75.00 + shipping. I do not have the mount for it though. I cut that up trying to get an Alpine to fit it. If it doesn't end up working for you, just return it to me, and I will send you back the $, minus the shipping costs. So let me know.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Het, just my opinion. I wouldn't pay more than $100.00 for the changer. You are not certain that it will work. If it doesn't, you can turn it around on Ebay, probably for what you paid for it. Anytime you shop Ebay, you take your chances. When I was looking for mine, I saw plenty for $100 or more. Just be patient, and you will find one. Also, not all changers will operate with all head units. They almost have to be made for each other. On a side note. I have mine, if you want to give it a try. I will take $75.00 + shipping. I do not have the mount for it though. I cut that up trying to get an Alpine to fit it. If it doesn't end up working for you, just return it to me, and I will send you back the $, minus the shipping costs. So let me know.

Don
    I'll try my luck at some local wreckers first, at least i'd get to try it right there, even if it does cost me a bit more. I appreciate the offer and I will definitely take you up on it if I'm unsuccessful locally.

OZBEE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Were in the same boat my friend. Check out Peripheral Electronics for the ipod interface. The data cable should be in the trunk or in the glove compartment. If you feel comfortable installing it yourself, do it! You will not have to chunk out an extra 100 bucks to joe blow audio store like me. I had my ipod interface installed in my 2000 Deville (glove compartment). I'm still occuring audio problems such as distortion and low volume.

After several trys with joe blow audio store, I contacted Peripheral myself. They have sent me info for installing an audio filter for the ipod interface. I'd ordered the filter last week and reinstalled my cd changer. Took me twenty minutes to do this. (Joe blow audio store 3hrs!!) . I'll update u with the progress and try to post the necessary articles.

gman89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Go to www.crutchfield.com

This item number is an aftermarket changer that will plug into the factory harness in the bottom of the console. $239

USA SPEC SCD-G190CAD

tadman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a similar '99 STS w/ Bose, changer, RDS, etc... and I turned on the RDS thinking it would be cool to have the info scroll across the screen. While this is nice, it completely screwed up my presets and confuses the crap out of me - I'm a pretty audio and car savvy person, and I had no problem with the RDS in my BMW - anybody know how to: 1. turn off this damn RDS system; 2. leave it on and make it quit squirreling my presets? I've already tried just pressing the orange box RDS button, but that screwed up yet another pre-set. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.