93 Deville Pass Key and anti theft issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 93 Deville Pass Key and anti theft issues in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1993 Deville with the pass key and anti theft system. I would like to know how to ...
    OH-Medic is offline Cadillac Owners Member

93 Deville Pass Key and anti theft issues

I have a 1993 Deville with the pass key and anti theft system. I would like to know how to disable them as they are both acting up. is there a way to permanantly disable these systems?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Deville n J-ville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 93 Deville Pass Key and anti theft issues

A 93 with passkey? Are you sure it isn't a VATS system? Should be easy to recognize.....your key should have a resistor pellet visible under the head of the key. If you do, then it's an easy bypass.

yeah the key has a pellet in it, the manual calls it a pass key..

how easy is it to bypass? and what are the steps?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OH-Medic
    yeah the key has a pellet in it, the manual calls it a pass key..

how easy is it to bypass? and what are the steps?

thanks

They may very well call it pass key in the manual, I'm just used to calling it VATS.

To permanately bypass it, the first thing you're going to want to do is to get a digital multimeter and measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Just make sure the probes don't touch the key itself while you're measuring.. Once you're sure what the resistance is (I believe that there are only 15 different resistances) go under the dash and look for a thin section of tubing running from the ignition harness to under the dash. The tubing will be orange, gray or black in color and have two 22 gauge wires inside it. Once you find it, carefully open the tubing with a razor blade to expose the wires. Now what you want to do is to get a resistor that matches the resistance of the pellet in your key ( I suggest you purchase the resistor pack specifically for this purpose....I use DEI part number 652t all the time with no problems....you can probably purchase this at a local shop that is a DEI security dealer). Now cut both of the 22 gauge wires. Now you have a car side, and a steering wheel side of the wires. Take the resistor and put it between the two wires that are the car side. Take care in making the resistor connections to the wires because if your connection was to fail you will be out of luck. When this is complete, and it's correct, your VATS anti theft system will be permanately bypassed. One good thing about this is that you can get any key shop to make you a plain metal key and it will work no problem.

For your factory alarm, look for the anti theft module under the dash and to the left of the steering column. Look for a light green wire coming out of there, this is your factory alarm disarm wire. The way you test this is to meter it while you turn the key in the drivers door cylinder. It should meter 12v negative when you turn the key. Once you have found this and checked it with your meter/probe and are certain it's the right wire, simply tap a wire onto the lt green wire (solder is the best way but if you can't solder, a t-tap will probably work fine) and ground the wire. Your factory alram should now be permanately be bypassed as well.

I measured the resistance of both keys one reads 1130ohms and the other reads 1106. The car has a remote starter installed in it. the place that installed it says they installed a by-pass kit but I am not sure I believe them, or if they only read ohms on one key and installed that one.. not sure any help would be appreciated

Hmm...you never mentioned that you had a RS installed. Did you have these problems before the RS was installed? If not I would take the car back to the place you had it installed and tell them the problem you are having, and ask them if they could put it in the bay and go over the VATS bypass that they installed. Give them a chance to fix it if they are cool about it. If they're not, simply tell them that you willl be taking it in to the Cadillac dealer and sending them the bill.

The proper way to bypass VATS when installing a remote start is along the same way that I said, but instead of just hardwiring a resistor to permanately bypass VATS, you put an ignition controlled relay in to activate the resistor only during RS. Could be a cheap relay playing tricks, or the relay could be wired wrong, or something as simple as a bad connection somewhere. I see VATS remote starters hacked up all the time at work, hopefully you got it installed at a reputable shop that will take care of you and your car. Good luck.

I have taken it back several times each time they come up with a different reason, bad battery, cables etc.. and the battery was 2 days old when I took it in, and new cables.. I looked at there install yesterday the resistor was wired as you described but it was connected using crimps, and all I did was move the wire and it fell out, so I checked it it read 1130 and then I soldered it in. so far the problem has not occered, howver there is no evidence of a relay.

the shop it was installed by does not seem to be very reputable..

Quote Originally Posted by OH-Medic
    I have taken it back several times each time they come up with a different reason, bad battery, cables etc.. and the battery was 2 days old when I took it in, and new cables.. I looked at there install yesterday the resistor was wired as you described but it was connected using crimps, and all I did was move the wire and it fell out, so I checked it it read 1130 and then I soldered it in. so far the problem has not occered, howver there is no evidence of a relay.

the shop it was installed by does not seem to be very reputable..

There should always be a relay when doing a RS bypass on a VATS system. If there isn't, they were probably looking for the cheapest/fastest way out. Which really is BS because relays are only a couple bucks and it only takes about 5 extra minutes to wire it up. It's not going to harm anything with the car, it's just the added security of VATS will no longer be there. Since you said you touched it and it fell out, I would surmise that that was your problem. Try it for a week or two, if it doesn't give you any more problems then I would think that you have fixed your own problem.

It really sucks that you had to fix it yourself, seeing how the shop got paid to do that. And they blamed some stupid stuff instead of pulling it in the bay and checking it themself. Let this be a lesson to everyone reading this: I'm not saying all shops are like this, but some are so do your research before you give them the keys and spend your money with them. Ask them for pictures of previous work, or ask to look at their own cars to see the kind of work they do because I fix jobs from hack shops everyday and you definately don't want some of the jobs that I see in your car.

Well, hopefully your problem is fixed and you won't have to go through this again. What city/state are you in so I can recommend some quality shops in your area.

Dayton Ohio

Illfigureitout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 deville

There is a starter enable relay behind the glove box to the left and up above the body control module if you ground the black and yellow wire the car will start with any key you cut.

BARBARA R is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan Deville

I just bought this car and already, I have had it parked. Because, I don't like
    getting stuck somewhere because of this problem. I have called GM's to talk about this and see if their was a recall for this problem. They say no, so I made
    a complaint about this problem, Pass Key and anti theft issues. The pass key
    is a computer, thats what the chip in it is for. Maybe if others made a complaint about this problem. Just maybe they would recall this car and fix it for us, if we take it to a dealer, it could cost some money to have this done.
    Here is the phone number of GM's - CADILLAC AT 1-800-458-8006.
    Also if you wanted to find out if your car has been recall for anything, you could go to http://www.recalls.gov/ and check yourself. I know that the car is getting older, but it is what I have. I live in PA and I have called a dealer
    and he told me that it could cost up $100.00 to disable the Pass Key and anti theft system. Thats a lot.
    Good luck, Barbara R

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

https://www.google.com/#q=bypass%20v...llacforums.com

those threads may be of some use to you
    all the info you need is right there
    and it's not a computer ... it's a simple electrical circuit that gives a second factor of security beyond just a mechanical key which can be easily forced or picked
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.