Bose vs. Non-Bose & aftermarket (Seville)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Bose vs. Non-Bose & aftermarket (Seville) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi... I recently purchased a 2000 Seville STS. It's quite loaded, but the previous owner had a Clarion NX702 touchscreen ...
    BigErn23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Bose vs. Non-Bose & aftermarket (Seville)

Hi...

I recently purchased a 2000 Seville STS.
    It's quite loaded, but the previous owner had a Clarion NX702 touchscreen head unit installed.
    ....pretty cool, but I think the install could have been better.

My car is only 33K miles and mint. I love it....but it was disappointing to poke around and see a lot of shortcuts taken on the install.

At higher volumes I can tell the speakers are stressing....crackling, distorting. I consider revamping the install.
    I've been no stranger to stereo installs, but I question tampering with this system considering the complexity of the electronics in these cars.

Anyway....
    I assume that there is some mis-matching of the impedance on the Cadillac speakers/amps vs the Clarion.
    I wonder if the amps have been bypassed or what.

But how can I tell if my car was equipped with the Bose stereo or standard stereo?
    There are no Bose badges on any grilles or anything like that.
    3 speakers in the front dash (one center channel).....door speakers and there is a sub in the back dash.

Does anyone have any info on what system I potentially may have?
    Any experience with installing aftermarket into this car?
    Is it worth bypassing any existing amps and replacing new door speakers?
    Are the dash speakers easy to replace or near impossible to remove?.....ETCETERA.

Please advise.
    Thanks for reading and possibly helping!

2000 STS Sevillie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Bose vs. Non-Bose & aftermarket (Seville)

All STS in that era were BOSE and there was no logo on the grille, it doesn't need to shout about it, lesser cars have the logo so are more desirable.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Yes Bose was standard on all 5th Gen Seville STS models. As far as replacing the system it's expensive and quite a bit of work but I believe it has been done before. Quite honestly if it was my car I would find a OE headunit and stick it back in the car. My 2000 STS had one of the best stereos I've ever heard. Still haven't found a car that comes close to the clarity or response of that system.

Thanks for the replies!
    I might just leave well enough alone for now.

I'd hate to start digging around and make anything worse.

Though I really like the features of the Clarion NX702, I agree that the system was probably way better sounding from factory.
    I'll keep an eye out for the factory head unit.

Thanks!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Know that the original BOSE/factory HU is programmed with the car's VIN and is part and parcel of the TheftLock system. You will have some hoops to jump through - and you may now be missing some features (chimes and functions)- that disappeared with the aftermarket HU install. An original HU - new or junkyard - must be dealer-programmed to "talk" to your car: The whole car. Right now there's a workaround aftermarket wiring harness as well as probably other speakers fudged in there. Quite a job to go back to the real thing.

Cadillac, GM, and Bose have absolutely no idea of "good sound" - you MUST slap in an aftermarket system to not only "sound better" but also to afford bragging rights as well as make the car go faster.

lol....Thanks.
    I'll just leave well enough alone.

For now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.