02 dts Bose problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 02 dts Bose problems in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I had posted this in the deville forum and I guess I should have posted it here. Purchased an 02 ...
    Bossman140 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS - Cabernet

02 dts Bose problems

I had posted this in the deville forum and I guess I should have posted it here.

Purchased an 02 dts with 79k miles. Checked out the car 2xs and everything worked perfectly. I picked up the car last Thursday and radio would not work. Would just flash. Could not even set the clock. The HU would not respond. Would just flash ack and forth.

Went to start the car Saturday and the car was just completely dead. Jumped it and it came right on. Drove the car to the dealer where it's now been for a week and the service adviser feels the HU is shot. Ordered a replacement on eBay and waiting for it to come.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 02 dts Bose problems

NO, they are wrong, you will find out there are no competent technicians for electronics in Cadillacs.

Basically what you describe is a perfectly functional HU not receiving data.
    With the data line disconnected (say you take it off the car and just connect the power wires) will just display the "00:00" for a few seconds and that's it. Will not start will, not respond to any other button.
    Ask the "technicians" from that dealership where is the clock stored?
    Bet you they will say is in the HU and they will be wrong, in reality in your car is managed by the DIM. The HU is simply a interface with 2 buttons and a display.
    Ask them why a HU with no data line connected will not start see if they know (I bet $5000 none will know).

The reason the HU doesn't start with no data line is because it needs the data line to read the VIN to compare it with the one is set on (Theflock). It is unable to establish communication so it can't read the VIN so will not start. This is also the reason the clock is 00:00, if you plug another HU to the data port (just needs power and data) you will see it will display the clock (it will not start because of the mismatching VIN, but that's another story). You can easily test the HU by removing it from dash (very simple) and connect the E1 wire to 12V, the HU metal case to GND and either F6 or F6 to the car data port. I bet it will start, obviously you will get no sound as you don't have the sound wires attached but you should see the volume level display adjusting when you use the steering controls and be able to adjust the clock.
    Now you mentioned the battery was flat...well that could be because the module not receiving data is the DIM not the HU, in this case there is nobody to shut off the headlamps, or indicate to the RIM when to shut off the RAP.
    So basically you have a data communication issue with the vehicle, first thing you need to do is PULL THE CODES.

Thanks for this. Will question the dealer when I bring him the HU.

The last time I shut off the car before the battery went flat, the sentinel system worked. Everything data wise was working. Also, the clock worked, it would flash but keep time. For example, when I jumped the battery, it reset to 12:00. By the time I got the car to the dealer, it had kept time and read 12:43. Also when I got the car with the radio malfunction, the clock had still held time.

I got no messages whenever I started the car.

Hopefully this sheds light.

PULL THE CODES!!!!!
    Pay attention to the U codes.

Will do. Unfortunately the car is still at the dealer. I will ask to do it when I bring the HU.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Learn how to "pull codes" and interpret them. Study the sticky post - proper year and OBD group - just above this thread: "How to pull codes". Study it. Then open and bookmark the link to your OBD-II trouble code definitions - always post codes and their definitions as well as whether a code is Current or History. In our cars the correct button push sequence turns the DIC into a code reader - normal messages mean nothing except the tip of the iceberg.

Also study the sticky "Acronyms". Might as well study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar, then surf through the pages of Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips. All stickys in all forums are worth reading.

Yes, your original HU is programmed with that car's VIN and is part of the serial data bus and TheftLock systems. The entire Bose system is VERY different from most "stereo" installs.

Just got back from dropping off the HU to the dealer. Questioned the service advisor regarding codes in relation to the HU failure. Said it is definitely the HU that is no good. Will install and flash for around $100. Recommended an oil change and coolant service (which I was going to do anyway).

Will report back on Thursday when the car should be ready.

Listen to me IS NOT THE HU!
    Make sure you can get your money back if is not working.

Dealer called me and said the car is ready to go. Swapped out the radio and all is good (or so he says). We'll see tonight when I go pick it up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.