Subwoofer performance 2009 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Subwoofer performance 2009 CTS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have read a couple of posts on the bass from the back dash subwoofer does not perform very well ...
    Zebra1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Subwoofer performance 2009 CTS

I have read a couple of posts on the bass from the back dash subwoofer does not perform very well and I agree. I took my CTS to the dealer and they told me that everything worked fine but after reading some threads from other members I know I'm not bringing up a concern that hasn't been realized before. The audio technician put the the station on some jungle music and it sure enough the bass wasn't too bad. However I am a rocker and enjoy my classics with the low ends. There is no consistency in bass from song to song. My question is without replacing the whole system with an upgrade what can I do simply and relatively inexpensive to just get better bass from my subwoofer whether that is using the exixting one or replacing with a better one in the same confines of the back dash. I have talked to one of the few audio installers in my area in Kingston, Ontario and they are saying that there is not much I can do with the factory receiver. I don't want to start replacing major components. I believe there is always a solution to a problem. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Subwoofer performance 2009 CTS

It's not a "subwoofer" (40 - 24 Hz) - it's a woofer, and free air, at that. The system is tuned (especially if it's a Bose) to sound like real acoustic unamplified music performed in a real space. One of the problems with car "audio" is that you'r sitting IN the speaker enclosure.

The fact that you can hear bass differences in different songs/performances tells you that the system works as designed - NO music - even on the same album - is recorded and mastered the same - on my home system I can easily tell the differences in track-to-track bass response and level on any Dire Straits or Pink Floyd album - and that synthetic bass comes from many different instruments and electronic boxes.

All that ^^^ doesn't get you any more or "better" bass - if you're looking for "punch" then you need bandpass power up around 60 - 100 hz. Time to look into add-on boxes and amps in the trunk.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Throw a hi/lo cinverter in, a sub anf amp. Personally i would go with just a single 10" sub

Thanks

I guess what I'm looking for as you said is the punch if that entails some deep rich low ends what I'm definitely lacking for my listening taste. Is there any brands (models) you would suggest that would do the trick for me. I'd like the upgrade to be minimaly intrusive since you know trunck space is at a premium. Could the bad deck space still be used efficiently or is that a bad route to go.
    By the way, I like your reference to the two bands. A couple of my favourites as well. I'd throw in the Doobie Bros and Bad Company in their for good measure as well.
    Thanks Again

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

I installed an infinity 1062w sub that runs at 275w rms connected to an Infinity mono class D 1300a amplifier. my stereo thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/285735-bose-speaker-replacement-but-keep-nominal.html

Thanks for the additional info. You did a real nice job. Very professional. I like your side door installation as well (something to think about down the road).I see your application is slightly different in terms of the rear deck. On the 2009 CTS the rear deck has only the 10" woofer cutout. I was wondering whether I could still use this deck option and then apply your idea with a hi/lo convertor an amp and a new 10" woofer and with the 10" woofer would I have to use another free air model.
    I'm pretty new at all this stuff and would have my system professionaly installed I appreciate all your guys ideas and options and this will help me when I go to the installer to propose ideas and decide the best application for my needs.

I'll check back on this thread after the weekend. I'm off. Enjoy yours

Thanks for your assistance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.