Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jacen98 
#1 ·
I have a 98 deville i installed an aftermarket head unit and speakers. Well everthing seems to work fine but last night i went to my car to get something and the doors wouldnt unlock i opened it with the key and found out the car didnt have any power. I tried to start it and everything came back on but all the info was set back to 0 like used gallons, trip miles, miles to empty etc. It was like when you unplug the positive in the battery and everything erases. Anybody knows what could be causing this thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Greencaddy98 said:
It happenes all the time when the car sits for a while

I had a similiar problem with my 98 Nissan Altima after installing radio. Played fine but if I let it sit like over night or couple of hours I would have a problem starting it. I would have to let the car crank and crank and crank before it would start. I would triple check your power wires from the receiver then get the battery checked out. Turned out my battery went bad. Wasn't holding its charge. Also with my 99 SLS i notice that the power cuts off once I open the door take the key out of ignition open the door and see if you can play the radio if it plays with key out and door open you might have mixed some wires up and its draining the battery. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Greencaddy98 said:
It happenes all the time when the car sits for a while

I had a similiar problem with my 98 Nissan Altima after installing radio. Played fine but if I let it sit like over night or couple of hours I would have a problem starting it. I would have to let the car crank and crank and crank before it would start. I would triple check your power wires from the receiver then get the battery checked out. Turned out my battery went bad. Wasn't holding its charge. Also with my 99 SLS i notice that the power cuts off once I open the door. If yours does same thing. Take the key out of ignition open the door and see if you can play the radio. If it plays with key out and door open you might have mixed some wires up and its draining the battery. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
fcreddog said:
I had a similiar problem with my 98 Nissan Altima after installing radio. Played fine but if I let it sit like over night or couple of hours I would have a problem starting it. I would have to let the car crank and crank and crank before it would start. I would triple check your power wires from the receiver then get the battery checked out. Turned out my battery went bad. Wasn't holding its charge. Also with my 99 SLS i notice that the power cuts off once I open the door. If yours does same thing. Take the key out of ignition open the door and see if you can play the radio. If it plays with key out and door open you might have mixed some wires up and its draining the battery. Hope this helps.
I went to the cadillac dealer today because i got this noise coming from the engine and i dont know what the hell it is and they told me its the alternator or the power steering pump most likely the alternator is bad thats probably whats causing this problem.

#7 ·
Sounds to me when you wired in your system you didn't connect the remote wire. With out that you could be getting juice to your headunit even after the car is off which would cause a hard start. This may or may not be the case hope you get it all fixed though

#8 ·
Do you still have the problem. I had the exact same thing happen to me after I had a cd player installed, It cause all kinds of problems, So I put the factory Cassette deck back it. but with the car of and closed, I would pop the trunk with the FOB and the antenna would raise up and the radio would turn. Finally I had to take it to Cadillac and they had to replace the PCM computer and everythings back to normal... But I still dont have a CD Player...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.