1984 Eldorado - Replacing BOSE speakers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1984 Eldorado - Replacing BOSE speakers in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2 door coupe with Bose speakers. I recently replaced the factory stereo with ...
    Zizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

1984 Eldorado - Replacing BOSE speakers

I have a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2 door coupe with Bose speakers. I recently replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket Kenwood Stereo and everything is working fine. However, the speakers sound terrible. I went to Crutchfield.com and Amazon.com, and they both said the replacement speakers are 4X6 for the front speakers and 4X10 for the rear speakers. When I look at the door speakers, they appear to be 4 inch speakers (not 4X6). When I look at the rear speakers, they also appears to be 4 inch speakers with an amplifier connected.

Questions
    1. Do I remove the door and rear Bose speakers ? (The door speakers are the majority of the door side panel and I am wondering how I would fill that in); or do I retrofit the current Bose configuration?
    2. Should the front speaker size be 4 inch (or 4X6)?
    3. Should the rear speakers be 4X10 (or 6X9)?

My goal is to remove the Bose speakers and install aftermarket speakers, but I'm stumped. I went to Car Toys, and the guy told me he did not know how to install the speakers (because he never worked on an older caddie before). I thoroughly checked this forum and found some good articles on how to remove the front and rear speakers, but I need some help figuring out speaker size and installation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gprestonmoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Re: 1984 Cadillac Eldorado - Replacing BOSE speakers - Help -

Don't let anyone BS you and tell you anything is impossible. My 88 will have 8" pro audio fiberglass ported enclosures in it when I'm done. Anything is possible. First thing you need to do is pop those front door grills and see what you got. 2nd, test the impedance of those speakers, if they're BOSE, they're probably 2 ohm speakers. I would see how much room you have to play with and get some 6.5" components. That's the biggest upgrade you can do to those to start. You'll need to cut out and get some baffles made, but that's no big deal for a decent shop.

Zizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
    Thank you for the advice. I took the speakers out and took a look at the Bose speakers. Both front and rear speakers were 4 inches. I had room to install a pair of Alpine 5 1/4 in the front with some modification and 4 inch Alpine speakers in the rear. The sound improvement was definitely noticeable . Later, I installed 1 Alpine SWS 12 inch woofer in the trunk in a ported box and a MRV-500 Alpine amplifier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.