Bose speaker replacement/ but keep the nominal impedance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Bose speaker replacement/ but keep the nominal impedance in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm posting this as a guide for those who simply just wish to do away with the paper Bose speakers ...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Bose speaker replacement/ but keep the nominal impedance

I'm posting this as a guide for those who simply just wish to do away with the paper Bose speakers but wish to still use the factory amplifiers. The Bose system in these Cadillacs have a Bose 2ohm 100w amplifier tied to each 2ohm Bose speakers. I got tired of the paper cones on these speakers blowing, i went through two sets of 6x9's and 4" door speakers. But i wanted to keep the factory setup, i didn't want to have to rip out the entire system.

And then i found Infinity's Reference line

For the 6x9's i went with Infinity Reference 9632CF 2-way speakers:
    Power Handling, RMS:100 Watts
    Power Handling, Peak:300 Watts
    Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m):94dB
    Frequency Response:46Hz - 21kHz
    Impedance:2 Ohms ( this is why they'll work with the Bose amplifiers)
    Mounting Depth:3-1/16 inches

They feature a tweeter that can be disabled or enable via a button on the speaker itself. I was still able to use the factory top mount bracket for the rear shelf, since these mount through the top i had no issue there, my problem lied in mounting the factory Bose amplifiers to them, So here's what i came up with.

I extended the factory wiring from the amp to the speakers using the same gauge and color for consistency, and relocated the amplifier above the wheel well, placing a microfiber cloth underneath it to keep it from sliding, i kept the perforated side facing up so that it can still breath and lessen the chance of it overheating ad tucking the wiring behind the cover to the RIM and trunk fuse panel

Do the same for the passenger side. I also went this route because i tried the zip tie method to the bottom of the infinity speaker but that resulted in the amplifier vibrating pretty loud and increasing the risk of damage to the amp. With this relocating of it, i ensure it's out of harms way, still looks clean and will still attain efficient cooling.

Next up came the doors. The factory Bose speakers feature a proprietary mount that's part of the speaker itself, unlike most after market speakers it has 3 mounting screw holes, making me really scratch my head as to how i was going to achieve this task, but persistence and patience is key.

Like the 6x9's the bose 4" door speakers for my Eldorado also run at 2ohm with a 100w 2ohm amplifier tied to them, again Infinity Reference line came through for me

I went with a pair of Infinity Reference 4022i 4" speakers, like the 6x9's these are also 2-way featuring a tweeter that can be disabled or enabled at the touch of a button on the speaker itself:

Bose on the right, Infinity on the left

Power Handling, Peak:100 Watts
    Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m):92dB
    Frequency Response:85Hz - 21kHz
    Impedance:2 Ohms
    Mounting Depth:1-15/16 inches (48 mm)

I started out with a sheet of MDF board from home depot

Using the backpart of the speaker grill that came with these i cut the 3.8 or so inch hole

I then place the Bose speaker on top, and cut the outside mounting area

The result

cut out

I sprayed these black, and first did a test fit with the speaker, perfect fit. so then using liquid nail, i secure the speakers to these cut outs, then allowing it to dry, then placing a bead of liquid nail to the mount speaker mount cover itself, and placing the speaker with its new mount on it, and allowing it to dry for about an hour

The result

The grill still fits over these perfectly.

I wanted to ad a subwoofer and amplifier for a little more kick, so i went with an Infinity Reference 1062w 10" subwoofer that runs at 275w rms @ 4ohms

and an Infinity Reference 1300a Mono class D amplifier

As for the Enclosure i went with a Scosche EFX SEV 10CC

Since i had a Orion Amplifier and 2 10-inch Kicker subs before i used my existing wiring, cleaned up my Inline fuse in the engine compartment near the battery and proceeded with a fairly straight forward install.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Re: Bose speaker replacement/ but keep the nominal impedance

you did get creative. Nice job.
    I still need to write mine up.
    I'm building a fiberglass box to fit the trunk side at the moment.
    Taz

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Looks great man!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Cool. Been told aftermarket stuff is usually better due to improved materials used. And the impedance of new speaker must match old. I thought it was 1 ohm? Or 2

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

2 Ohms.
    Taz

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Wonderful way to update with out destroying the original interior!

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Could you diagram the subwoofer and amplifier? I understand the rest. Very cool.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.