1986 Fleetwood FWD in dash GPS installation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1986 Fleetwood FWD in dash GPS installation in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Has anyone installed an aftermarket head unit (GPS, AM/FM, DVD player) in this model? Sure would like some tips and ...
    CaseyCX is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1986 Fleetwood FWD in dash GPS installation

Has anyone installed an aftermarket head unit (GPS, AM/FM, DVD player) in this model? Sure would like some tips and suggestions. I checked out the Crutchfield site and none of the units they sell are marked as "fit this model".

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado

Re: 1986 Fleetwood FWD in dash GPS installation

I am currently installing a Kenwood KOS-V1000 with a KOS-l702 monitor. The trouble with your year Deville is it uses a "1.5 Din" radio used in only earlier year GM's and some Chrysler's. It is also a short depth radio. Any radio that has a CD or DVD drive will be too long to sit in the dash without sticking out the front. This is even true with the Factory CD players that GM made for this radio format.
    The Kenwood KOS system and the Alpine VPA system both use a separate touch screen video monitor with a remote receiver. You can add CD,DVD players, Satellite receivers, Digital FM receivers and much more. It is built on a component system adding just what you need. (Bluetooth is also available as a module)

The monitor will fit into the dash without any visible modifications. You will just need to make a pair of fillers to go on each side of the monitor to fill up the extra space. I am using 2 pieces of wood which i am trying to finish to match the rest of the wood. I am also mounting the jack for the USB Thumb Drive stick for my recorded music in the right wood trim piece.

These where expensive systems when they where new but are now discontinued and showing up on eBay at reasonable prices. I have sourced 2 complete systems for very reasonable prices. (One of them all NOS the other mostly NOS).

My parts list:

KOS-V1000 Receiver
    KOS-L702 Touch Screen Monitor
    KNA-G510 Navigation Module
    KCA-BT300 Bluetooth Module
    KTC-SR902 Sirius Receiver (Got this one with Lifetime Subscription)
    I have not yet decided on speakers but am partial to the Kenwood factory replacements.

I do not have any CD or DVD players as i use the satellite and USB drives for my music and do not believe in Video in a car. (personal preference)
    I also do not plan to use any external amps as the KOS-V1000 has a decent one built in. It is however set up with regular line out and sub woofer line outs for interface with any aftermarket amps. It is specifically made for the Kenwood Excelon series of amps. (I am just over the big amp days of my youth)

Good luck and i will post pictures when i am finished. (may be a while though as i have other projects that are taking preference at the moment)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.