anyone out there with an old school phone hookup?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, anyone out there with an old school phone hookup? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So my 99 Deville D'elegance has a little box with what appears to be a phone jack and an Ethernet ...
    mcss88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 & 1997 Deville D'elegance

anyone out there with an old school phone hookup?

So my 99 Deville D'elegance has a little box with what appears to be a phone jack and an Ethernet port attached to the front arm rest near the rear. I also have what appears to be a microphone attached to the "overhead console", a strange connection point near my OBD II port, the steering wheel controls, and my instrument cluster says no phone data when I hit the information button enough times.

Is this typical for a Cadillac of this vintage or is it something aftermarket? I ran my RPO codes from my spare tire and it mentioned nothing about phone.

I'll post pics when daylight time permits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: anyone out there with an old school phone hookup?

Appears that your Cadillac had the fairly rare cell phone option and you are missing the headset.
    No aftermarket integration will be able to tap into the IPC to get the "No cell phone data" message.
    Your left top steering wheel control button should show a phone symbol on it rather than the fan symbol.
    You can disable the cell phone option and switch the function of this steering wheel button from cell phone to fan speed control. You can replace the steering wheel controls with the (far more common) ones having the fan symbol (electrically there is no difference other than the symbol).
    This is done in the IPC overrides by deducting 16 from the IPS03 Option C. Probably your value was set from factory to 241, deducting 16 will give you 225 (your original value may vary depending on the options).
    You can check your RPO sticker or just list here your VIN and we can tell you for sure.

mcss88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 & 1997 Deville D'elegance

I'll toss the vin up tomorrow however, I have decoded the VIN and the RPO codes and saw nothing mentioning the phone option. How do I access the IPC overrides; this is something I've never heard of.

twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

Hello,
    My 97 eldorado came with the phone option inside the arm rest. It looks kinda clunky and obsolete. I never tried it to see if it works. I wonder if you have to subscribe to a service to make it even work, either way i got it all saved in case I sell the car down the road and the new owner wants to try it.
    Jim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.