1997 STS complete audio upgrade questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1997 STS complete audio upgrade questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; okay im no noob to audio equip. installs. but it seems like this model of car has its pitfalls when ...
    njam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 sts, 1978 coupe deville

1997 STS complete audio upgrade questions

okay im no noob to audio equip. installs. but it seems like this model of car has its pitfalls when trying to upgrade the "premium bose" system (I.E. = completely remove it) either it is complicated, or folks make it out to be more complicated than it is. either way i have questions.

i see they have a metra gmos-6 unit that allows use of the aftermaket head unit and keeps the factory speakers.
    http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=GMOS-06

and i see they have a different harnes called the metra 7 which is called the factory amplifier bypass harness
    http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-2054

i want to remove the factory head unit and use aftermarket speakers (hertz audio)
    these up front hsk 165xl http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

and these in back in a 6x9 plate hsk 163

and run this amp mcintosh mcc404 http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...ductId=MCC404M

and a eclipse audio HU single din

anyway the factory amp bypass harness, can it be used alone, or does it have to be used in conjunction with the gmos6 harness??

i do plan on running 12 guage to all speakers. so i am wiring the heck out of her,

just unsure on the harness' to use. do i need both, or just one or the other.

like i said, i just want the deck to turn on properly when the key in the ignition is turned on and go off when the key is turned off, and not scramble the brains of the car. the door chime and such i care less about, but i dont want to mess the car up computer wise and such.

where do i begin??

ps, those who want some awesome awesome components check out hertz audio, i have them in my 78 coupe and they rock. they make infinity, alpine, kenwood, jl, RF, etc. sound like roadmasters from wallmart. i think they even sound better than focal's top of the line stuff. and that says alot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: 1997 sts complete audio upgrade questions

Your '97 w/Bose sound actually has 4 amplifiers and a sound processing unit called RIM.
    The HU is just a box with buttons, the actual workhorse is the RIM (that’s where the volume and all the sound controls happens unlike what you would think). This is not a ’78 car, this is not your usual ‘97 car either.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

My car had Bose, Im using a metra non-bose harness. They work just fine if you are replacing speakers and head unit, and are cheaper.

well this all is not happening as of yet. the car is still major confused electrically by some foo-foo gremlin.

joseville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 seville 4.9

I am confused on why there is a harness needed? I just replaced the bose stereo in my 93 seville with new speakers, a 4 channel amp and a new deck. I wired the deck right into the stock harness. Everything works perfect. turns on and off just like the stock stereo did.
    The stock stereo is the bose with the amps on each speaker and the brain box in the trunk by the antenna.

okay car is up and running, i want to put a aftermarket unit in, equipment hase changed,

i have 1 JL audio 13.5" w7 subwoofer
    component sets for front and rear speaker locations
    1 rockford fosgate 400.4 amp 4 channel
    1 rockford fosgate p1000.1bd mono sub amp
    eclipse Head unit.

this i want in the car, i want to relocate the factory HU to the trunk, just not sure how to build the connector??

id imagine, you need a connector and a reverse connector, feed the power or signal cable to the facotry HU in the trunk and keep the rest for the aftermarket HU

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan
    Ive seen with the correct harness the old radio won't need to be in the car at all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.