What would you do?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, What would you do? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 1999 Deville Base model It has an Audiovox 10 disk CD changer in the trunk with the remote coming out ...
    Walkers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

What would you do?

1999 Deville Base model

It has an Audiovox 10 disk CD changer in the trunk with the remote coming out of the glove box. Original owner told me he had it installed when he bought the car. I was pleased with the stereo system until the remote started acting up and not playing CDs. I was just going to replace the head unit with a aftermarket but after research on this board(Thank you by the way for all the great info posted on here, really helped out on my alternator RR) found out it was not going to be that easy. Local stereo shops are telling me I will need 2 harnesses at 100 bucks apeice. One for the stereo swap the other for the steering wheel controls which I use often. I been trying to find info on replacing the CD changer but dont know if it needs to have any advanced options. The last thing I want to do is cause any electrical problems to my ride. If it were you would replace the CD changer or would you put in an after martket head unit. Thanks in advance.

Also I seen a stock 1999 cadillac head unit with the cd player in the head unit would that work in a switch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: What would you do?

No it won't work, the ones with the CD changer in the HU are BOSE, is 10000 times more different that it looks.
    Why you go with all these troubles for the aftermarket crap when you can just add a factory 12 Disk CD changer at a cost to you of less than $70 (possibly as low as $25). There are hundreds available on eBay (literally).
    The car is already wired for it (no you don't need any harness for the OEM unit no matter what the ones trying to sell you one will tell you). It takes just 5 minutes to install the factory HU will recognize the CD changer instantly (plug-and-pay). The HU is able to control the changer, works also from the steering wheel buttons. Really WHY in the word would you go trough all this trouble for an aftermarket changer??????????
    This is the unit you need:

Notice the P# in the picture.

Walkers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

Thank you very much. I will check ebay.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You're lucky you can do that so easily with those years. My 1994 is a year or two too old so I have to make do with an aftermarket one. No problems with the way it works but would have preferred factory.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

94 is actually 2 years too old for the CD changer, first time the CD changer was used was on the '96 models. Coincides with the introductions of OBDII. Some early '96 cars still don't have it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.