'97 Eldorado Non-Bose Headunit Upgrade Options
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, '97 Eldorado Non-Bose Headunit Upgrade Options in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've been reading a lot of information on here about aftermarket radio installation, and I've seen many different paths to ...
    NTL1991 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Polo Green Metallic

'97 Eldorado Non-Bose Headunit Upgrade Options

I've been reading a lot of information on here about aftermarket radio installation, and I've seen many different paths to get to the same place. (Although some of those paths don't seem to work as well as others...)

I understand that the Cadillac factory stereo receives class 2 messages from the instrument panel cluster to activate the various audible warnings/chimes.

I understand that the Cadillac factory stereo sends/receives class 2 messages to the Body Control Module for Sleep State and Retained Accessory Power information.

I understand that a Metra ASWC (and others) Steering Wheel Interface can be installed to replicate not only the steering wheel audio controls, but also the climate controls, while using a capable aftermarket radio.

I understand that the Metra GMRC-03 Interface Module with Integrated Chime Speaker and RAP function doesn't work correctly in many Cadillacs it's installed in.

Therefore, the best method I see is factory radio relocation. From what I've read, the radio is typically relocated to the trunk. Apparently, there is a Class 2 circuit in close proximity to the trunk to tie the relocated radio into. Battery and Switched Power as well as ground will also need to be supplied here.

Now this doesn't seem to solve the chime problem. While the relocated radio is actually receiving the chime requests, the driver's front speaker is no longer connected to the relocated radio, and therefore the chimes won't be audible. Is there any way around this?

Any other considerations when looking at a Non-Bose Headunit Install?

Also, are there any Non-BOSE factory headunits with in-dash CD that could be installed in place of my cassette-only non-BOSE headunit?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ESCALADE200224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV
    All you need is this and then you can connect whatever aftermarket radio you want and still keep chimes and not need the stock radio anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.