replacing factory radio with After market
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, replacing factory radio with After market in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi there, I am a new Cadillac Owner. Mine is a 1997 DeVille 4door Sedan I fell in love as ...
    mlc3409 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 De Ville Sedan

replacing factory radio with After market

Hi there, I am a new Cadillac Owner. Mine is a 1997 DeVille 4door Sedan I fell in love as soon as I sat in it and drove it. So Here is my question. I know NOTHING about car stereo systems from RADIO to SPEAKERS!! All I do know right now is that the factory radio that is in there is
    1) not working
    2) according to the Dealer not the right one for my car because the VIN doesn't match.

So the dealer suggested getting an After market system to put in there. NOW I don't need a whole DJ system to blow the windows out of my neighbors house as I drive by. I just want something simple.

So here is what I do know. I am going to need an Aftermarket installation kit.
    I found this one. Is it the right style (and YES I only want the single DIN)

http://mobile-emotions.com/gm-kit260...ille-1997.html

(I have included with it the wiring Harness and an Antenna adapter.)

Second. I am understanding that my car might have 6 speakers instead of 4 is this right? Is there an output amount that I should be looking for when choosing as stereo or is there a inexpensive Stereo that someone can suggest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ESCALADE200224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV
    Well I know you'll need a wire harness to integrate your aftermarket deck securely without splicing and making a mess. You'll need one of these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a-70-1858.html

I'm not sure how to tell besides counting and looking how many speakers you got.

Also may I recommend if your upgrading and have music playing off a iPod or want extras like navigation like a double din has. I'd suggest a single din flipout.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: replacing factory radio with After market

Hey there MLC3409
    welcome my Friend

hey guys here this is my friend from Florida she just purchased her 97 deville and we need to help here out
    with any info she needs she is awesome
    and guys
    be nice please

im not familier with the 97 deville but guys please correct me if im wrong
    we need to find out if its got the bose system or not

also its a class 1 data communication system she has in here 97
    isn't there the possibility that the dealer does not know the proper way to program this with the Tech2 ?

Hey there Thumper!! Thanks for the help, info, and advice. It is nice having someone that I can talk to about the car.

shhhh not to loud Missy
    the guys in here will start to tell you about all the money i have dumbed into my cars over the years and how not so smart i am lol

i sent you a PM offline with a list of the parts you will need for the aftermarket radio to work

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc3409 View Post
    Hi there, I am a new Cadillac Owner. Mine is a 1997 DeVille 4door Sedan I fell in love as soon as I sat in it and drove it. So Here is my question. I know NOTHING about car stereo systems from RADIO to SPEAKERS!! All I do know right now is that the factory radio that is in there is
    1) not working
    2) according to the Dealer not the right one for my car because the VIN doesn't match.
    VIN doesn't match because its not the original HU,
    They have to unlock it, in order for them to do so they need proof of purchase for it, since it has another's car VIN programmed into it. These aren't your typical stereo deck. Your cars theft lock system is tied into it, it mainly acts as just a remote for the radio integration module(RIM) behind the back seat, assuming it is the BOSE system

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    shhhh not to loud Missy
    the guys in here will start to tell you about all the money i have dumbed into my cars over the years and how not so smart i am lol

uh...yea, its posts like these that confirm said talk.

ESCALADE200224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    uh...yea, its posts like these that confirm said talk.
    I'm guessing all the questions have been answered.

Missy we still need to find out if you have the Bose Factory audio system
    i know you have all the thing that you plan on getting
    and you didn't want to spend the amount of money that you would need to to put a aftermarket head unit in your car if you had the bose
    and in that case if you do have the bose probably the best thing you could do is repalce it with a Used head unit
    but if you are looking for CD player in dash i don't think they had a IN Dash CD head unit in 97 i think it was seprate cd changer

if you don't have bose then adding a Aftermarket Head unit will be much cheaper and easier then trying to add one to a bose system

Ok , Thumper has told me how to check for the Type of System I have. I am not looking for anything fancy. Actually what is in there is fine if it would just work :-( But I will check things out more on Wednesday since I am off work. I will get back to you guys with the info.

Thank you all for your help!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    VIN doesn't match because its not the original HU,
    They have to unlock it, in order for them to do so they need proof of purchase for it, since it has another's car VIN programmed into it. These aren't your typical stereo deck. Your cars theft lock system is tied into it, it mainly acts as just a remote for the radio integration module(RIM) behind the back seat, assuming it is the BOSE system
    SO the Dealer could have unlocked it for Me??? Oh that SOB ...I knew I didn't like him when he started off telling me I should just sell the car for what I could and get something less expensive to repair...GRRRR I hate when people just don't want to do their jobs....*sigh* NOW What do I need to know about this ...I am also looking to get a remote keyless entry. Thumper said it might have had one they just didn't turn in. I see on the Dash board when I turn the key it does have a SECURITY that lights up. ..There is just so much to learn and do with this car....*sigh* I wish I had someone to just take care of it for me :-(

Missy
    the Keyless Entry remote can be found on ebay can probably pick one up for 20-30 buck used
    just have to find out the right part number
    if you call the dealer and contact there parts department with your vin number of your vehcile
    they can tell you the proper part number for your remote
    once you get one you will need to go to the dealer to have them program it with the same tool that they would use to unlock the radio

the only thing is with the radio
    we need to find out if it is the Original radio and for some reason it just locked up and in that case it could be bad

or we need to find out if the radio they replaced it with is the proper radio for your car
    they could have put in a radio that will not work with your car and that may have been why the delaer was saying its not the right one for your car

but yes just because its not the original radio does not mean it can b right
    people replace parts with used partes and devices all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mlc3409 View Post

----------

SO the Dealer could have unlocked it for Me??? Oh that SOB ...I knew I didn't like him when he started off telling me I should just sell the car for what I could and get something less expensive to repair...GRRRR I hate when people just don't want to do their jobs....*sigh* NOW What do I need to know about this ...I am also looking to get a remote keyless entry. Thumper said it might have had one they just didn't turn in. I see on the Dash board when I turn the key it does have a SECURITY that lights up. ..There is just so much to learn and do with this car....*sigh* I wish I had someone to just take care of it for me :-(

Yes, the current HU is a stock one (Denso),but not the original stock one, then yes it needs to be unlocked at the dealer and can only be done with proof of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm

Yes, the current HU is a stock one (Denso),but not the original stock one, then yes it needs to be unlocked at the dealer and can only be done with proof of purchase.
    I have never had to show proof of purchase to have the radio unlock in te Cadillac or te HhR
    The only time a dealer ever even asked me for proof of anything was when I needed them to cut a key from a code for me

Ok so I went out to my car and the speaker ,in the front above the dash, is Missing. SO no info on there about the system. I know you told me to look on the wheel cover or something but there was just a bunch of rows of numbers. I have NO CLUE what they all are. So I have NO Way of knowing if it is a BOSE System or not :-(I don't know what they did with the sound system. the door speakers look in tack didn't check the back. will do that tomorrow.

Proof of purchase? I have that I purchased the car. What else would I need since I didn't purchase the radio that is in it?

Missy the row of numbers you see or rows of numbers they are pro codes
    hmm not sure what the pro code for Bose is

anyone here know what the proper pro code for Bose is ?

Missy if you call up a Cadillac dealer ask for there parts department im sure the parts counter guy or gal would be happy to spend a few moments to check your car if you can give them you Vehicle Identification Vin Number
    on the dash board right side corner near the window or the number its on your title also
    and they will be able to look up if you have bose or not

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.