replacing factory radio with After market - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, replacing factory radio with After market in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Yes, the vin will tell you if it came with Bose, Bose premium, or non Bose at least when it ...
    ESCALADE200224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV
    Yes, the vin will tell you if it came with Bose, Bose premium, or non Bose at least when it came from the factory. I doubt some1 would replace the amp with the wrong amp. If you don't have a speaker in the middle then that's a good clue you either have a standard Bose system or non Bose.

mlc3409 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 De Ville Sedan

Re: replacing factory radio with After market

It looks like there was a speaker there and it was just taken out. the cover was partially off and the dash is lose like someone was taking the system out. Anyway. There is ONE speaker in the center of the dash. I did make a copy of the Tag in the trunk. I have a website that was giving me the codes and what they are for and so far from what I can see I do not have any codes that are for BOSE System.

The ones that I have found related to the radio is

U57, U1L, UW6

I have to take a better picture of the label as part of it was cut off. I will check more tomorrow but at this point I am saying I DO NOT have a BOSE system

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

YES that is affirmative, you do not have BOSE, that is the base sound syste that came originally with your car.
    And since nobody noticed your car is a '97 it means IT HAS NO THEFTLOCK so no matter what '96-'97 U1L/UW6 HU you install in the car SHOULD WORK with no problem (no VIN clear needed). Also your car should only have 6 speakers, 2 6x9 in the rear shelf and 1 round 4.25' and one small tweeter in each of the front doors. The yo-yo from the dealership either is full of *#*$@ or is full of $@#@%.
    Can you describe what you understand by "stereo not working"?
    Does it powers but no sound? Is your trunk release working? How is the radio fuse?
    Do you see the clock display?
    Is the clock display accurate or always 12:00?
    Are the HU backlights working?
    Any IRC codes?

Since is a Deville we are talking about, taking the HU out and inspecting the harness behind is a matter of 30 seconds. Just pry the bezel around the HU. That will reveal on each side of the HU 2 steel tabs. Press the tabs simultaneously towards the HU to release. Then pull the HU out and have a look at the 32 pin blue connector in the back, is it connected? Any signs of tampering with (as in evidence of a previous aftermarket install)?

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Hey there is the man N-Caddy
    thanks for helping MIssy out
    i think she said that it does ask for a code of some sort
    and yes the yoyo at the dealership should have known this
    wow you learn something new every day i had no idea that 96-97 did not have theft lock wow

It does not have any power. All it says is LOCK on the front. The front of the HU says theft lock on it. I will take it apart tomorrow to check out the wiring. Thank you for the info. The dealer told me that the HU that was in my car isn't the one for my car because the VINs don't match. Didn't tell me anything except to replace it with after market one.

----------

Oh and yes the trunk release and gas latch release is working.

Are you sure the Deville is a '97 not a '98?
    If it has the LOCK text on the screen (and just by that I could have told you is a base sound system as the BOSE display "Theftlock Activated") then we have 2 options:
    1. The car is indeed a '97 but somebody installed a '98+ HU
    2. The car is '98 and somebody replaced the HU for some reason.
    Regardless of the above 2 the HU is not original to the car.

There is a 3-rd option somebody replaced the PCM and the IPC in an attempt to lower the mileage the vehicle in which case the HU may be original to the car (but the car is NOT a '97 is a '98) and now the HU indeed does see a different VIN (not your original VIN).

Regardless, the only difference between the '96-'97 cars and '98+ is the HU. Even the '96 and '97 cars can support a HU with the theftlock feature just that the '96-'97 HU never had this feature.

How is theftlock working:
    1. Any car '96 and newer support a command on the data line GET VIN. Any module can request the PCM or the IPC for the VIN (including a TechII tool).
    2. The theftlock HU at startup first request on the data line this infomation (sends GET VIN).
    3. The PCM (in your car) reply with the VIN.
    4. If the VIN is not received the HU will NOT start at all (will just display the clock as 12:00 when you press the clock buttons). Just so you know the HU is not managing the clock, it is just a display the clock is stored in the PZM (in the OP’s car). This is the case when the HU is bench tested (it won't start on a bench test).
    5. If the VIN is received then:
    a) If the HU has no VIN stored in its memory will store this VIN (thus locking on it) and continue with the starting sequence. This happens first time the HU is installed in the car (at the factory).
    b) If the HU has a VIN stored then it compares the received VIN with the stored VIN. If is a match will start,
    c) If the HU stored VIN is no matching the one received will post a “LOCK” message and cancel the start sequence. It will display the correct clock, it will do the chimes just you can’t start it.

When you swap the HU between vehicles basically you are in the 5.c), the VIN stored is not the same as the one received from the data line. There is an instruction that can be sent (on the data line) to the HU to clear the VIN in memory and reboot. As a result it will go into situation 5.b). This instruction is ONLY implemented in a TechII tool.
    There is also an instruction that can be sent to the HU to read the stored VIN. This is how you can track back to the VIN of the vehicle the HU was installed previously (so that’s how you track back).
    A dealer is obligated to ask you for a legal proof of sale of the HU where the donor vehicle is specified. Before clearing the VIN from HU the technician should actually read it first and check is matching the one in your paperwork. So the donor vehicle VIN is not required for the actual clear procedure, just for legal matters. No papers, no VIN clear, but there is always the friend of a friend who has a independent garage and a TechII.
    What I would do if I were the OP, I would go to the dealer and ask to provide you with an electronic readout of the HU VIN and the vehicle VIN. Check which one is matching the one on the plate (lower left corner of the windshield). If the VIN on the HU is not a match then the HU is not original. If the VIN on the vehicle is not a match then suspect the mileage was tampered with.

OK WOW....Talk about my head spinning. You are a WEALTH of information. Unfortunatly being Dyslexic is making it hard to read all that you typed. lol

Ok I think I led you astray. The Only DIGITAL read out is LOCK
    The "theftlock" is PRINTED on the bottom left corner of the Digital screen.
    The radio will not turn on. does not show a clock. basically just does NOTHING but have to word LOCK on the screen. I think I have a picture I can post. If it will let me ......Ok this gives you all a better Idea of what is going on I hope. MAN I can be confusing at times. I'm sorry. I truly am NOT A DITZ!!! I SWEAR!!!

Radio.jpg

and this is part of the tag from the back wheel. That shows the VIN You all would know better then me about if it is a 97 or 98 VIN.JPG WOW I should have done this when I posted this thread..would have saved you guys alot of typing

well that radio is for sure from a 98+ also since it says Theft lock on it
    the other thing is you have a Mysterious red switch on next to the Head unit
    makes me thing some little kid or ghetto thug want to be had some cool system or
    thought they where hip by adding stuff
    makes me think there was probably a lot of audio stuff added and then they yanked it out before selling the car and could not find the Original Radio so they just took the first used one cheap they could find that would fit in not worrying if it was the right one to put in there

ESCALADE200224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV
    Yea the red switch gives it away saying "I don't belong here!". My guess is you need to have it taken out and put in some aftermarket or have it unlocked. That radio again says I don't belong here!

well it is for sure coming out. Thank you ALL For your help in this matter. Didn't expect it to get this long. So I am ordering my Dash Kit, Wiring harness and Antenna Adapter and my radio so I should have them in a few days and then I will have a RADIO!!

ONE THING COMPLETE!!! Only Three more to go :-( This was the cheaper of them all LOL

To unlock your existing HU you pay maybe $50 and a 5 minutes trip to the local GM dealer. An aftermarket system is way more than that and you will end up with an aftermarket system.
    Looks to me you actually want the aftermarket system, not just want the HU working.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    To unlock your existing HU you pay maybe $50 and a 5 minutes trip to the local GM dealer. An aftermarket system is way more than that and you will end up with an aftermarket system.
    Looks to me you actually want the aftermarket system, not just want the HU working.
    can they actualy unlock the HU in there if it wasn't from the years that used the same part number ?
    i know there have been some who have installed Class 2 data in there Class 1 data units bud didn't they need to wire some things up ?

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    I actually WENT to the Dealer and he told me they Couldn't do anything with the radio because it wasnt the radio that went in my car. The Dealer is the one that Suggested getting an aftermarket radio installed or to get the RIGHT HU for my car if I wanted to stay with what was already there. EITHER way it was going to cost me MORE then $50 . That is what started this whole thread was because the DEALER Told me to get an aftermarket radio installed.

excuse my laungueg but that dealer was a lazy SOB
    Missy wich dealer was it so i know never to take my car there

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.