1979 Deville - Few questions about updating speakers.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 1979 Deville - Few questions about updating speakers. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello all, I've been giving more thought to updating the speakers in my Phaeton, and had a few questions I ...
    Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

1979 Deville - Few questions about updating speakers.

Hello all,

I've been giving more thought to updating the speakers in my Phaeton, and had a few questions I was hoping to find some answers to. I'm going to be using the factory stereo for now at least, might get a retrosound deck later. Has anyone used those? I need to know what ohm impedance will work best with the old head unit. I have no idea what the stock ones are. Also, I know the dash space is pretty tight, what speakers have some of y'all used in the dash of these old caddies that fit without having to change anything? I've heard you can get away with a 4" with the plate design, and other sources say it won't fit. Is there a specific mounting height I have to stay under, or is there a certain size cut out for the magnet that I'd have to enlarge to fit a different shape. All I really know is that there's clearance issues between the left speaker magnet & the wiper switch.

I was really tempted to post this in the RWD forum thinking I might reach more like-minded enthusiasts, but thought I'd stick to the rules & see how it goes.

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bstrang6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade, 2004 Seville SLS, 1989 Brougham

Re: 1979 Deville - Few questions about updating speakers.

In my fleetwood, I used Polk audio 4x6 plate style speakers. These are by far the best highs ive ever had. They fit with a little persuasion. I would highly recommend running new speaker wire to all of your speakers, the stock gmwire is junk and with as old as it is, who knows what shape it is in. Polk also makes a hell of a 6x9 for the rear deck. I would suggest more importantly than anything a new head unit... Wether you send yours out to be restored/updated, buy a retro new unit, or mount a new aftermarket in the glove box, and leave the stock one in the dash. No mater what speakers you put in the car, the stock head unit will not perform.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

Re: 1979 Deville - Few questions about updating speakers.

i agree run new wires i did the regualar 4x6 and 6x9 alpines but speaker is a speaker if your not big on sound.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.