car pc installed in 93sdv
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, car pc installed in 93sdv in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So after long trial and error I have installed a car PC in the caddy. So my main objective was ...
    still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

car pc installed in 93sdv

So after long trial and error I have installed a car PC in the caddy. So my main objective was to drop the HU and run the amps off the PC which you can with an external sound card or split the 3.5mm output which sounds good but using a touch screen while driving can be a pain when the buttons are no so large so I kept the HU as volume control and ran the PC as a giant iPod .so here's what I'm running a net top PC 250gb of space windows 7 .this thing can charge and sync 4 mobile devices I can Skype and surf the net. The only thing I have left to do is to run usbs throw my cig chargers so it can have a clean install .oh and its all stealth. No keyboard no mouse all touch. Will post pics later

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: car pc installed in 93sdv

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    So after long trial and error I have installed a car PC in the caddy. So my main objective was to drop the HU and run the amps off the PC which you can with an external sound card or split the 3.5mm output which sounds good but using a touch screen while driving can be a pain when the buttons are no so large so I kept the HU as volume control and ran the PC as a giant iPod .
    So why didn't you? Most do. What front-end are you running? My buttons are huge, but then again I'm running a 10" screen.

Using a CarPC like a "giant iPod" is such a waste. You might as well have saved yourself the time and expense and put in a dozen TV screens instead.

My system specs:
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic 5031TabletPC w/ WiFi & mini dock, 1TB external HD, Wireless Aircard, Portable DVD-RW, HD Radio, XM GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro USB joystick, Bluetooth, ELMSCAM 327, TPMS, Logitech QuickCam Orbit (front), generic Low Lux Back-up Camera w/ auto-switching
    SOFTWARE:: RideRunner Front-End, Winamp, OBDScan, DeLorme Street Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    so here's what I'm running a net top PC 250gb of space windows 7 .this thing can charge and sync 4 mobile devices I can Skype and surf the net. The only thing I have left to do is to run usbs throw my cig chargers so it can have a clean install .oh and its all stealth. No keyboard no mouse all touch. Will post pics later
    I don't recommend running anything through "cig chargers." A clean install requires clean power. Get yourself a good startup/shutdown controller and DC/DC power supply, you'll thank me later.

Good luck, can't wait to see your pics.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 165.6MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

gizmo is that set up in the xlr or the eldo...

how are you passing the sound to the speakers? did you tap in before the stock amps or are you using aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    gizmo is that set up in the xlr or the eldo...

how are you passing the sound to the speakers? did you tap in before the stock amps or are you using aftermarket?
    The XLR is tapped into the XM Radio audio lines with a voltage sensing switch, i.e., speaker voltage from the CarPC cuts XM and Feeds CarPC into Head unit instead. Really slick system when I'm listening to XM and can still get the Nav voice from the CarPC. And high quality sound.

I hate to admit it, but on the ESC-V, I have all the components to go in between the CD changer ala N*Caddy's instructions but never put it together, so it's fed through the cassette deck still.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)

No what I did for the cig chargers was I pulled the female end of the connector out and ran a USB thru it and put a plastic housing to hold it in place so I'm not using none of the factory wiring for the fig charger. As for my sounds I pulled the HU out and the speakers are powered thru alpine amps. My only issue is controlling the bass. Alpine m2000 don't support bass knobs so I can control it thru the PC but not as fast as I can thru the HU

The pics on this link check the bottom of the page
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/337853...deville/page-5

Looks good!

Thanks I upgraded to a ten inch screen and loving it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.