Cadillac Deville 2000 Sub Install and Big 3 (How to, Kind of)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Cadillac Deville 2000 Sub Install and Big 3 (How to, Kind of) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well I figure I would post this in order to maybe help someone and/or to show this off too, I ...
    someone1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Post Cadillac Deville 2000 Sub Install and Big 3 (How to, Kind of)

Well I figure I would post this in order to maybe help someone and/or to show this off too, I guess lol
    My friend asked me to get him a system and install it, so I did.

Well to start off, the stereo equiptment used in this was:
    1. Audioque HDC3 15 D2 Copper Coils
    2. Elemental Designs Nine.1 (Amplifier)
    3. Alpine CDE-121 Head Unit
    4. PAC OS2-GM32 Wiring Harness Adapter (to retain Bose amplifier and OnStar)
    5. Flex-o-Prene 1/0 AWG Welding Cable
    6. Random RCA and other wire.
    7. 3/4 MDF wood

Now lets begin.

First thing on the agenda was to replace the stereo. He wanted a nice headunit around 50-60....so I when to Amazon and found the Alpine CDE-121 for $54ish lol So to begin, I disconnected my battery then I removed the plastic face around the stock stereo.

And then remove the trim piece that are under the steering collum and the trim piece to the bottom rightish of the stereo by just carefully pulling on them, they should just be attached by the standard GM snap pin things. Removing these two trim pieces should reveal these bolts holding the ashtray center peice on.

Removing the bolts

After removing the bolts from each side (4 total) this is what it should look like after pulling towards you a little bit.

Disconnect the wire that goes to the ash trash and the light bulb.

After I removed the middle piece, I was in the clear to remove the stereo.
    To remove the stereo all I had to do was pull these metal tabs towards me and it slid right out.

After I disconnecting the wiring harness and the radio antenna from the stereo, it was time to install the dash kit to allow me to put the aftermarket stereo in. I believe I got this dash kit form ebay for around 10-20ish. Here's what it looked like after installing it.

After that, I got the wiring harness out that I prewired/soldered to see where I was going to place it. My friend didnt want to drill or screw into anything in the dash so I had to find a place that would fit everything in decently.
    Here's the wiring harness.

Ok so I then found a place to where all of the wiring harness accesorys fit which was a slot right behind where the stereo is. (ATTENTION: This is important, these next pictures are pictures of the original attempt of fitting the harness back there, but after I got it situated and whatnot, the radio didnt fit because of how bulky everything was so make sure you read what I put AFTER the NEXT pictures!!)

Ok IMPORTANT, see the little slot above where the wiring harness is coming from? well what I had to do was run all my wires through that so the head unit had enough room to slide in. There will be a lottt of pushing and fudging in this area. Just get it to what you see fit and test it.

It's wedged between very tightly.

Here's somewhat, what it should look like but the wires, like I said, will be coming from that little slit.

I then ran the RCA cable that was in the back of my headunit under the carpet to the passengers side, on it's way to the back.

l

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Cadillac Deville 2000 Sub Install and Big 3 (How to, Kind of)

Chapter 2:
    Big 3

Now, this wasnt to terribly hard after figuring it out but, a little forewarning, It's a bitch and a half to do...tedious wise. First I just had to FIND the alternator, which is on the passenger side of the engine, almost at the bottom. After finding it, I was trying to figure out how to get to the bolt on it. The best was I found to do this was to remove this bracing completely off. (The dirty gray bar in the picture)

Here's where the altenator wire is, somewhat,.... if you can see it

I started by removing the huge 4 bolts that pretty much secure the bar to the chassis.

They'll be 8 bolts total holding the frame on.

Now the alternator wire is a lotttt easier to get to.

Now finding a spot to run the wire insde the cab was a pain. I followed the red power wire I found while running my RCA and it led right to the fuse block in the engine bay. So here's what I did to see where the gromment actually went to.

The black handle is part of a 1 or 1.25 foot screw driver. I gently rammed in down into the grommet trying to find where it came out of on the cab side. It came out perfectly where your right foot would be on the passengers side.

Here's the end of the screw driver.

I'll upload the rest tomorrow when I can function lo

I ran the alternator wire along the passengers floor board all the way to the battery under the rear seat. To remove the rear seat you just have to pull up, then disconnect the wire that goes to it.

It was then time to make a ground for the big three. I found a stud right next to the battery about 8 inches away.

Sanded around it the stud and used a washer.

For the remote wire, I tapped into the rear fuse box in the rear sunshade fuse. Then drilled a whole in the fusebox to run the wire out of to make it look clean.

I ran the wires through the right side of the trunk to the back.

Chapter 3: Sub Box

First, there needed to be a design. This was mine.

Here's the wood.

Some pieces cut.

Here's the baby.

More cut pieces.

Box assembled.

Cutting the ID hole.

Double Baffle.

Nice smooth edges with a round over bit.

Sub in the box.

A little screw up but oh well, easy fix. Nice round edges done with a round over bit.

Box in the trunk (it was a push to get it in)

The wire ran from battery to the amp.

More to come tomorrow hopefully.

Now I need to find a way to just bypass the factory amp because the Elemental Design amp won't be able to reach it's full potential without the factory amp distorting the shit out of the stock bose speakers.

If anyone has any suggestions on that, please let me know.

If anyone has questions on what I have done so far then let me know also.

Emoore058 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Deville

Well, my local stereo dealer told me that on my cadillac I had to completely remove the factory amplifier by removing the back seat then remove it. I haven't done it yet though I 'm a little hesitant to. where did you find a place on the engine to bolt from engine to ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Emoore058 View Post
    Well, my local stereo dealer told me that on my cadillac I had to completely remove the factory amplifier by removing the back seat then remove it. I haven't done it yet though I 'm a little hesitant to. where did you find a place on the engine to bolt from engine to ground?

If I remember right, it was on the passenger side of the engine up top somewhere, sorry that I can't remember where as I did this install on his car quite a while ago. As far as the factory amp, all I had to do was remove the backing of the seat through the trunk, I forgot how to but I will look and see if I have any videos and whatnot. I ended up bypassing the amp with a harness I got from eBay. I know I have a picture of it somewhere. So that allowed me not to use the amp therefore, no distortion. I'll get back to you on this a little bit.

Yes please I really need help on locations on where to bolt my engine to chassis, battery negative to chassis , and where is the positive to alternator (alt positive). I'm trying to do this by myself without having to pay someone to do it for me and this cadillac is hard to work on mainly it's because the alternator though because it it so crammed at the bottom. I have to pay the dealer to install a new alternator i bought just recently. The alt was priced about 399.99 for 270 amps MECHMAN and an extra 500 dollars for installation. I couldn't install if I tried they have a lift and tools and equipment. please try to help me on how to remove the factory amplifier or unplug because I still want to use it for later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Emoore058 View Post
    Yes please I really need help on locations on where to bolt my engine to chassis, battery negative to chassis , and where is the positive to alternator (alt positive). I'm trying to do this by myself without having to pay someone to do it for me and this cadillac is hard to work on mainly it's because the alternator though because it it so crammed at the bottom. I have to pay the dealer to install a new alternator i bought just recently. The alt was priced about 399.99 for 270 amps MECHMAN and an extra 500 dollars for installation. I couldn't install if I tried they have a lift and tools and equipment. please try to help me on how to remove the factory amplifier or unplug because I still want to use it for later on.
    If you take some pictures of the passenger side front for me and post them up, maybe I could remember where I put it. That's a damn good alternator though, me human makes some good stuff, as far as the battery to frame, right next to the battery on the passage we side, I used a screw that had a big washer on it to do that. For the alternator, do what I describe above and take the big frame support off to make your alternator easy to get to (the wire itself go on the large stud on the back of the alternator. And the. Run it like I say. You will definelty need tie straps to avoid contact with anything hot. The chassis to engine can honestly go anywhere that you think is out of the way of anything hot then you're good. I'll look for the videos that I think I have when I get home though

I will try but I don't have camera.

did you ever disconnect the factory amplifier behind the back seat? If so how did you wire the door speakers to your newer amplifier? I'm planning real soon to remove the whole back seat and find the factory amplifier and remove it and instead buy a rockford t400-4 and connect all my door speakers to there. Was any problems while doing this? I already know how to remove the back seat but don't know what will happen if I remove the factory amplifier. please reply

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.