How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Preface: a sincere thanks to N*Caddy for verifying my connections were accurate and being available to answer my constant flux ...
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC

Preface: a sincere thanks to N*Caddy for verifying my connections were accurate and being available to answer my constant flux of questions. Vasi, you're the best. Invaluable. Electronics MVP on the forum award goes to you!

To recap, you want a nav system with a lot of modern features, but you love your BOSE system. It is simple to do but takes a little bit of work. The original Nav system was only available in the Seville and Deville and will NOT work on the stock BOSE Eldorado (without hardcore engineering like N*Caddy has pioneered), but you can get any NAV head unit of your choosing and instead of rewiring speakers and that mess, you can use the pre amplified BOSE system already in the car.

Here's what I used...
    • two GM 32-pin head unit connectors, male and female (1 each) with enough pins...
    • 150 ft of quality wire, 18 gauge will work
    • RCA stereo cable, cut so that the audio wire component +,- of each Right (red) & Left (white) is available
    The way it works is you plug in this new harness extension with audio inputs, into the factory connector the BOSE head unit connects to. The harness will extend to the trunk and pass behind the rear seat (10mm very deep socket, or wrench) along with a reverse signal wire and a video cable if you will have a rear view camera with your system (that's what I did).

Here are some pictures...

The connector with pins relocated matching wires (and pin-out map):

The connector (female) finished and taped...

The male end that attaches to the original factory head unit location, has the audio ins that feed the existing Radio Interface Module (RIM)...

The finished 16-17 ft extension harness...

The console all apart... use a plastic stereo removal tool and the FSM (factory service manual) diagrams for the bolt locations...

A Metra kit for Catera (if you want it to sit flush, all you need is the face plate, but you will need to carve some plastic out first, behind the stock head unit location, or the unit will stick out and you will need the kit for the Eldorado, it bulges).

The new extension.... installed

So far this is the only different part, the rest is just installing a regualr stereo. Your steering wheel volume control will remain working and your new NAV will have amp out for a subwoofer as well as amp remote etc.

This is the "wrong" Metra face plate, the top screws almost match up perfectly with the Sony Nav as with the stock BOSE/delco HU.

Nice flush fit... (slightly different color/texture, but not a huge deal)

(reverse camera with adjustable lines)

Here is my "Theftlock" lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC

How bout with a Stock Denso Nav unit? Which is what im leaning towards doing so with. I want to be able to get my theft lock, bells, chimes, and steering wheel controls back.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    How bout with a Stock Denso Nav unit? Which is what im leaning towards doing so with. I want to be able to get my theft lock, bells, chimes, and steering wheel controls back.
    The stock DENSO nav will not work on Eldorado--only on 2000+ Seville and Deville with some re-pinning. Read N*Caddy's post, he's still working on it, and it may take putting gutted equipment from a compatible donor car which may require dealer reprogramming as well. It's a work in progress.

BTW bells, chimes and steering volume controls still work with this setup bc they are in the original head unit which is still connected and controlling the RIM remotely from the trunk lol.

Here was my DHS with the proper metra face plate adapter (note how it is a closer match to the stock gray and it bulges)

and here it is, same car, with the factory Denso unit. That thing on the right was an ipod controller. I had the aux mod with an audio/video switch hidden that could switch between bluetooth (separate) and HD Radio (also separate).

This is the mod I made first, adding aux audio from the CD changer

As you can see, I started with a column shift DHS and added the console with Ranger's instructions...

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

What Nav unit is that?

one is Denso (obvious just saying for other readers), the other is a Pioneer AVIC F90BT. It was easy to customize bc it was running Windows CE. Very capable, but it had MSN (which was discontinued) and was oh so slow... so slow. My new Sony boots in 10x less time, and I am not exaggerating at all.

The THEFTLOCK is printed in cardstock, to scale, so it fits over nav.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

after reading this it makes me understand that next year when my latet navi disc is probably totaly outdated wich is from 2009 as it is
    2011 now and 2012 next year
    im going to add a aftermarket unit unless gm comes out with a new disc sometime
    the unit i am thinking about is the Kenwood with the garmin or tom tom built into it for less parts

from what i understand the only way to retain the bose speakers is to put the Bose HU in the trunk
    and i will also have a U1255 code if i don't put it in the trunk and just run new speakers all the way around ?

Hey ThumperPup, the GMOS may work but for me it was too buggy (no U1255 to my knowledge... maybe though) I had it almost a year, then had it replaced upon AXXESS/metra's persistence then sold it on here.

That was the reason I sold the DENSO. I paid a pretty penny for it, and it looked outdated in graphics, and the maps were old and expensive to replace, no bluetooth no HD Radio, no text-to-speech, etc. I did like the look of it, off. lol

Honestly if I were you I'd sell it instead of relocating it in the trunk. Do you still have your factory radio or u sold that? You can just repin it or did you have a custom harness too?

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight View Post
    Hey ThumperPup, the GMOS may work but for me it was too buggy (no U1255 to my knowledge... maybe though) I had it almost a year, then had it replaced upon AXXESS/metra's persistence then sold it on here.

That was the reason I sold the DENSO. I paid a pretty penny for it, and it looked outdated in graphics, and the maps were old and expensive to replace, no bluetooth no HD Radio, no text-to-speech, etc. I did like the look of it, off. lol

Honestly if I were you I'd sell it instead of relocating it in the trunk. Do you still have your factory radio or u sold that? You can just repin it or did you have a custom harness too?
    I had a harness made from a Member on here
    yes i have the Original radio still but only thing that works on it is the AM FM the cd player and tape player are shot don't work at all

I am actualy thinking maybe even replacing the speakers perhaps but then again id have to rewire it all

I just don;'t want to put the unit in the trunk maybe if there is room under the back seat perhaps but i use all my trunk space and i mean every inch of it lol

I like the style i am not into all the animated map stuff that they ahve on the newer units never liked them much

But i was thining about the Kenwood cause i can pick up one with the built in Navi i can get the Gmos-06 the steering where control retention harness and the gm antenna adapter all for about 700-800 dollars

But then if i get into replaacing speakers cause im not sure how the Bose speakers will sound with the Aftermarket unit im in another 300-400 for speakers i think

as long as the head unit "Thinks" it's playing a tape or CD, this fix works. The App Radio is like $399 retail!

Regarding trunk space, I made two brackets from a thin flat aluminum sheet and it's going to be hanging in the rear shelf between the speakers (Eldo) with self tapping bolts (drill)... you don't lose trunk space and it's not going to be sliding around lol.

My Orignal unit will not play a CD or Tape those stopped working long time before i swapped to the Navi unit

I think ill go with the GMOS-06 but i also want to keep My audio Controls on the wheel

Does the original unit bump out of CD or Tape mode? or stays on CD/tape but no audio comes out? The first sucks and you're right it would not work, the 2nd scenario is ideal.

it automaticaly eject tapes and cd after a few seconds is give me a error msg and ejects what ever was put in
    and i don;'t want to have RCA audio quality anyway i want reall audio that is crisp

yeah if it ejects it won't work. RCA quality is really good btw. Maybe you're thinking FM modulators--those are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight View Post
    yeah if it ejects it won't work. RCA quality is really good btw. Maybe you're thinking FM modulators--those are awful.
    no not thinking that cause i have my iphone hooked up to the RCA's on the harness for the Navi
    and the quality is better then FM transmitter but still sucks compared to getting it stright off a cd changer
    i decided for now im going with the Isimple Unit ISGM73 i just ordered a new center speaker
    my front Door Speakers are muffled
    so i know they are bad need to repalce those
    amazon has them on back order for 108 each or i can probalby get them from Chriss haven't checked his price yet but i know he is not usualy far off from GMPD and they have them for 140 each i think
    or ebay has them new for 149 each
    I might go used if Amazon doesn't get them back in this month or next month

I also decided i picked out the Kenwood 6180 unit thats what i want
    and im going to use the GMOS-06 when i do get it and if that doesn't work then ill go from there

power007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2001

Please explain that in a full and detailed
    plsssssssssssssss man

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.