How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I will when I have some free time....
    mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: How to upgrade to a nav head unit keeping your BOSE system.... 99 ETC

I will when I have some free time.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Here is mine after all is said and done i actually spent 2 weeks picking out the unit i wanted reading threw everything about 3 different units and decided on the Pioneer X930BT

reason i decided for this was cause it had everything and it had hardly any lag time all the reviews where perfect and it even streams audio threw Blue Tooth

i was thinking of 4 units
    between the Pioneer X930BT wich was a go
    there was also the Sony 770 and the reason i chose against Sony was they use TOM TOM and i was reading reviews of others getting terrible GPS service on that so decide against it

then there was the Clarion NX501 well as soon as i found out Clarion started to Mass Produce so they could supply to Best Buy recently i said screw that

also the Kenwood 7180 is really awesome but i can't live with the lag time its irritating so here is a picture all installed

used the PAC 0S2-GM32
    chose not to instal the CM1 chime interface those damm chimes ignored the hell out of me LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight View Post
    Preface: a sincere thanks to N*Caddy for verifying my connections were accurate and being available to answer my constant flux of questions. Vasi, you're the best. Invaluable. Electronics MVP on the forum award goes to you!

To recap, you want a nav system with a lot of modern features, but you love your BOSE system. It is simple to do but takes a little bit of work. The original Nav system was only available in the Seville and Deville and will NOT work on the stock BOSE Eldorado (without hardcore engineering like N*Caddy has pioneered), but you can get any NAV head unit of your choosing and instead of rewiring speakers and that mess, you can use the pre amplified BOSE system already in the car.

Here's what I used...
    • two GM 32-pin head unit connectors, male and female (1 each) with enough pins...
    • 150 ft of quality wire, 18 gauge will work
    • RCA stereo cable, cut so that the audio wire component +,- of each Right (red) & Left (white) is available
    The way it works is you plug in this new harness extension with audio inputs, into the factory connector the BOSE head unit connects to. The harness will extend to the trunk and pass behind the rear seat (10mm very deep socket, or wrench) along with a reverse signal wire and a video cable if you will have a rear view camera with your system (that's what I did).

Here are some pictures...

The connector with pins relocated matching wires (and pin-out map):

The connector (female) finished and taped...

The male end that attaches to the original factory head unit location, has the audio ins that feed the existing Radio Interface Module (RIM)...

The finished 16-17 ft extension harness...

The console all apart... use a plastic stereo removal tool and the FSM (factory service manual) diagrams for the bolt locations...

A Metra kit for Catera (if you want it to sit flush, all you need is the face plate, but you will need to carve some plastic out first, behind the stock head unit location, or the unit will stick out and you will need the kit for the Eldorado, it bulges).

The new extension.... installed

So far this is the only different part, the rest is just installing a regualr stereo. Your steering wheel volume control will remain working and your new NAV will have amp out for a subwoofer as well as amp remote etc.

This is the "wrong" Metra face plate, the top screws almost match up perfectly with the Sony Nav as with the stock BOSE/delco HU.

Nice flush fit... (slightly different color/texture, but not a huge deal)

(reverse camera with adjustable lines)

Here is my "Theftlock" lol

I wonder if that Dash kit you used in this would fit in the 2000 Seville
    I hate the dash kit from Metra that i got wich is this one it sucks

also how did you like the Sony was it a good unit ?
    any problems with GPS Signal the reason i decided to go with the Pioneer instead of the Sony was cause i heard how it sometimes would get relaly bad GPS Reception and i didn't like that

I ended out swapping the Sony for a Pioneer App Radio and using the difference to upgrade to iPhone 4s with Siri! So far really digging it, getting used to it. Regarding the face plate I used, yes it would work but you need to mod it. The OEM metal brackets that hold the BOSE HU to the climate controller actually fit the Pioneer unit (and did the Sony). So the Metra kit for the Catera works, except all you use is the face plate. You have to cut openings to fit the protrusions on the climate controller. This is where you get creative and create your own fit/degree of perfection because you're really creating a custom fit.

In summary... the original metal brackets FIT most aftermarket units (at least they fit both the Sony and the App Radio), and that holds the unit in place. The face plate you cut as needed and only use it to fill the gaps. That's what I did on the Sony and the AppRadio.

I was thinking of the app radio but i decided against it cause i can see someone getting a data bill of like 200 a month if they don;'t have one of the old unlimited data plans not available anymore

did you take pictures of the Pioneer and Sony in the OEM bracket ?
    i thought mine is Plastic the OEM bracket not metal i wonder if they changed it in the Seville perhaps

id like to see Pictures of how you used the OEM bracket housing if you have them
    that would give me an idea of how to do it more

also so the only part of the Metra kit that you used was the Face Plate ?

I have a new unlimited data plan with the 4S on ATT. They're back.

I didn't take pictures of the OEM metal bracket, but it is a straight fit. I am not sure how the 98+ Seville works out though. Put them side by side and see if the holes match.

As far as the flat face Metra faceplate, yes just the face part. The plastic brackets weren't used.

ah cool cool
    hey on your app radio does it let you have access to the dial pad when on a phone call i mean like if your on a call and have to hit options or an extension does the dial pad show up to let you do that on the app radio
    it does not on the Navigation units for pioneer and i think that sucks lol

I have a new unlimited data plan with the 4S on ATT. They're back.
    are you sure your not talking about the Phone unlimted for voice and not data ?
    i just looked was going to upgrade to the unlimted and its not avalable so then checked to see if i was setting up a new plan for a new 4s phone and its got unlimited voice but only the 200 2gb and 4gb for data

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    are you sure your not talking about the Phone unlimted for voice and not data ?
    i just looked was going to upgrade to the unlimted and its not avalable so then checked to see if i was setting up a new plan for a new 4s phone and its got unlimited voice but only the 200 2gb and 4gb for data
    I'm sure. The data plan is $30 a month and called the:
    "Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S

Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S includes unlimited data in the U.S. Access rich HTML email and desktop-level web browsing, as well as Visual Voicemail to listen to voicemail messages in any order you choose. Includes unlimited Wi-Fi usage on the AT&T national Wi-Fi network."

I'm sure. The data plan is $30 a month and called the:
    "Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S

Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S includes unlimited data in the U.S. Access rich HTML email and desktop-level web browsing, as well as Visual Voicemail to listen to voicemail messages in any order you choose. Includes unlimited Wi-Fi usage on the AT&T national Wi-Fi network."

hmm im going to call att and ask them cause i can't find it online anywhere
    and i even whent threw to set up a new account with a Iphone 4S and its not giving me the option

how much data have you used so far with your app radio like if you had to calculate how much you would use in a month time
    what would you think it would be
    my bill started over again on the 29th and between the 29th and 1st i had used 295.3 Megabit i only have the 2gig plan and now this helps me to realize that even if i go to the 4gig plan i still have to cut down on Aha radio and Pandora wich are the only 2 things i use it for

It depends how long you are in your car. I think since the phone was released I've used close to the 2 gigs. Fortunately with unlimited I don't have to worry.

i just know that over the past 4 days i have not used Aha radio or Pandora and my Data is at the same usage as it was on Monday the last time i had it hooked up to the system and was listening to pandora for 1 days i used like 295 mb i think lol

Im thinking of adding some headrest monitors i just wish someone made a replacement for ours but i guess ill just have to find some 7inch and have them installed into the headrest

I also am going to check around and see if it would be posible to have a monitor a really slim one installed in the front visors in place of the mirror

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Will this Nav unit work in my vehicle?

http://www.amazon.com/BV9560B-7-Inch...cmu_pg__header

Also, would it be best if i locate an OEM HU to connect to the RIM in my trunk?

am i missing something ?
    from the looks of that it is not a nav unit atleast if it is i missed anywhere that is says it is its probably most likly at that price just a DVD unit

yeah it will work if you get the right harness or oif you wire you old HU threw the trunk
    i think you would have to run the wires all the way to the HU in the front and then to the trunk you can't just use the RIM in the rear to hook up to the old HU

atleast this is if you have Bose
    if you don't have bose then i don't think you need anything other then just the right adapter harness and dash kit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.