Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Need wiring diagram for '93 Eldorado with Bose

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dennis93coupe 
#1 ·
Hi,

I hope I can find help! I might be trying to do the impossible. I found a complete Bose stereo system in a '93 Eldorado at a upull junkyard. I thought I would try to retro fit it into my '88 Eldorado. I know it sounds nuts but it was only $45 for everything.

I got the head unit, the remote brain unit on the antenna mast, four speakers with amps attached and I cut the wires back as far as I could. I didn't take the power antenna because it was up and I thought that meant it wasn't working.

What I really need is the wiring diagram. Does anyone have a shop manual with a wiring diagram for this system? I'm not sure what years and models use the same system. There's only four speakers. At least I think there is.

I searched the internet but came up blank. I can find ones that are close but not the same.

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm out $45.

#2 ·
Your best bet for a wiring diagram would be a FSM. I know the Deville copy has the schematic, but I don't trust the diagnostics section of the FSM. From my personal experience, I'd toss the Bose and go with a good aftermarket system. I have over 12 of the speaker amps out in my garage I salvage components from to keep mine going. If one more fails, the speakers come out and I'm replacing it all with something else. I don't live ia a harsh environment, don't crank the volumn and mess with the balance, treat it gently and have a lot of problems. Oh and I am using Eldorado rear amps right now to make it work. Fortunately my speakers are good yet. Bose speakers are such odd balls I have found and I'm just not that impressed with their system. I see alot of factory Bose systems in junkyards either bypassed or ripped out and replaced with aftermarket.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I got the wiring diagrams hooked up dozens of wires to bench test it, got it to work and the CD player doesn't work. I have a spare head unit! Yeah right, the CD player doesn't work on that one either. Screw it. What a waste of time. I get myself committed to these ideas and then don't give up soon enough. You're right; aftermarket it is!

#4 ·
Does the radio work? There are places to get the CD player to work. When I got mine fixed a year and a half ago, the repair order said "Service To Reman Panasonic CD Mech Radio Part # blah blah. Beings the car was built from the factory with the Delco/Bose CD option, I decided to keep it original as much as possible. After looking back at that, is seems a waste of money. What bugs me about it is reliability and the thing doesn't match the knobs and buttons on the other controls, the Delco/Bose cassette player option matched the other dash controls better. I don't have plans to ever sell the car, and if I did I doubt it would bring a penny more with a Delco/Bose CD option.

#5 ·
The radio works. The cassette player works. All amps and speakers work, I think. As much as I can tell with everything sprawled out on a table. Without the speakers encased, they are only going to sound so good.

I just thought it would be cool to retro fit a stock bose system into a 5yrs older Eldo that was never designed for it. I've already put a 4.9 engine in this car which is unique as well, so why not play around more. What happened was, I was out at U-pull looking for something else and I knew they just got two '93 Eldo's in. What do you know, they both had Bose and most of the parts were still there. So I get this crazy idea in my head to make Bose fit my '88. At the time I thought Bose was super good but now I know they are not as great as made out to be.

I would have to really make some modifications to make the system fit. The door speaker enclosures won't fit my doors. Maybe I could make them fit. It could be done, I'm pretty sure. I think I would put the brain box up front rather than in the trunk. I think that would be easier with the current antenna connection. Then I have to run speaker and amp wires. Fix the CD player? Nah I think I need to cut my losses and give up. Unless...if the CD deck from a different non-Bose stereo actually was a fit into this stereo and I could find one cheap (or free) I might try that. Or maybe I'll stumble onto another head unit. I paid $14 a piece for the two I have. Most likely this will be a project I never complete and the stuff will just sit in a storage bin...

#6 ·
The radio works. The cassette player works. All amps and speakers work, I think. As much as I can tell with everything sprawled out on a table. Without the speakers encased, they are only going to sound so good.

I just thought it would be cool to retro fit a stock bose system into a 5yrs older Eldo that was never designed for it. I've already put a 4.9 engine in this car which is unique as well, so why not play around more. What happened was, I was out at U-pull looking for something else and I knew they just got two '93 Eldo's in. What do you know, they both had Bose and most of the parts were still there. So I get this crazy idea in my head to make Bose fit my '88. At the time I thought Bose was super good but now I know they are not as great as made out to be.

I would have to really make some modifications to make the system fit. The door speaker enclosures won't fit my doors. Maybe I could make them fit. It could be done, I'm pretty sure. I think I would put the brain box up front rather than in the trunk. I think that would be easier with the current antenna connection. Then I have to run speaker and amp wires.
You might look for a mid 80s to early DeVille for enclosures if you continue for a closer fit. I've thrown tons of them in the trash. Most of the time the junkyards don't know the amps are in the enclosure. Seems like the doors on a Deville were closer to match in 88 than the 93s.

Fix the CD player? Nah I think I need to cut my losses and give up. Unless...if the CD deck from a different non-Bose stereo actually was a fit into this stereo and I could find one cheap (or free) I might try that. Or maybe I'll stumble onto another head unit. I paid $14 a piece for the two I have.
Could a seperate 6 CD changer be used with this? I'm not up on this stuff much but would like to learn.

Most likely this will be a project I never complete and the stuff will just sit in a storage bin...
Or you could ebay it, check out some of the prices there for this stuff.

#7 ·
Dennis, I see you have some experience with your Delco/Bose radio. I have a 93 El Dorado. The lady I bought it from said the cassette and CD do not work. The radio works great. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I would like to have it restored/repaired, but I've seen your comments and others that said it was a waste of time and money. As far as replacing it, I have heard horror stories (not necessarily with Cadillac) where other car functions were controlled thru the stereo, where once replaced the windshield wipers didn't work, or other things. I would like to have flash drive and mp3 player inputs also. What did you end up doing to correct your situation?

#9 ·
I sent mine to this place, link below, to get the CD part of it working. Mine is radio CD only, no cassette. I don't know if they will install a flash drive port and or mp3 player. It would be worth asking tho. I guess after looking back, my Bose doesn't sound all that bad. It just needs to be adjusted and I don't know if that can be done any more. Somewhere I read it could be, don't know. The left side on mine is weak, front and rear. I've swapped amp and speaker pairs around, checked volts and all that stuff just can't get it to balance from left to right. There is no manual balance on a factory Bose in my model year, they were pretty plain and simple. You can adjust front to rear and a few other things but not side to side. Also I got the buzz noise in mine about a year ago, couldn't stand it and didn't turn it on because I just didn't feel like tossing more money at it. Then one day I found an alternator in a wreck that had real low miles, (I'm going to chrome a bunch of parts in near future so I needed a spare anyway), slapped it on and just for kicks turned the radio on. Noise was gone. Here's where I got my package fixed, they aren't cheap but they did a good job fixing what I wanted done.

http://www.mnrelectronics.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.