2002 DeVille Subwoofer Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By bigtone
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 2002 DeVille Subwoofer Replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So my subwoofer is blown I've been looking around these forums for replacement subs for a 2002 DeVille... and from ...
    David Sally is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DeVille

2002 DeVille Subwoofer Replacement

So my subwoofer is blown

I've been looking around these forums for replacement subs for a 2002 DeVille... and from what I've seen I will need a 10" free air subwoofer. Does anyone have any suggestions on subs like this on the market today? I want to buy something that I can just drop in with minimal work.

Also... How is one supposed to get the subwoofer out? From looking at it I have to go through the trunk and pull it out through the bottom. Are there any guides on this?

If anyone has done this before to there car I would greatly appreciate any insight you could offer! (I've never replaced a car sub before)

Thanks!

--David

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Re: 2002 DeVille Subwoofer Replacement

There are a few manufacturers who make free air subs but most people either scrap the stock subwoofer and add a aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk using a LOC or replace it with a used stock Bose subwoofer on ebay. Adding a subwoofer in you trunk will give you way better results than replacing your stock sub and is very easy to do when using a LOC. To remove the stock sub and you have to do is remove the metal grill and remove the plastic tabs that hold the woofer in place. I cant rememeber if you need to remove the tabs from the top or bottom of the sub but its pretty easy to remove.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

If you look under the Tech Tips forum, I did a write up about replacing mine when it blew. You have to take the back seat out, lift the rear deck, and out it comes. There are a few dual 2 ohm free air 10 inch subs out there. I looked recently for a replacement for my son's Deville. I found another one, Rockford Fosgate P2D210 that is free air. The RE AUDIO SRX10D2 I installed earlir this year is still working fine. Much more robust than the original.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Hmm I wasnt aware the Devilles required you to remove the rear seat. In my STS the subwoofer came out pretty easily with the rear seat in the car.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I'm going back a little bit here, but I think the rear seat had to come out to lift the rear deck to get at the sub.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Rhetorical questions..............What range of sound frequencies does a "subwoofer' reproduce ? What is the wavelength of a 30 Hz tone ?? A 25 Hz tone ?? A 20 Hz tone ?? How long is the entire car in relation to those wavelengths ?? Aren't we really looking at upper bass and lower midbass ??

rmink53787 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville

I went through the trunk and also removed my rear seat back...then discovered the Sub itself is waaay pricey, so I bought a JBL Sub on Ebay with a Alpine 500 amp and am I so glad I did, the aftermarket sub is so much better, the JBL has incredibly large magnate. Not too many aftermarket free air actually fit so its OE or Junkyard, good luck with that, the JBL/Alpine is easy to add in and Rocks like you wouldn't believe. You will be much happier with nice Sub, go to a Pawn shop if money is a problem.

Saltpeter9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

I just purchased a 2000 Deville for my son, and it's got a few problems, but a great car. Christmas is coming and thought I would buy him some upgraded speakers, I came across this thread and forum, which by the way, I've lurked since I bought the car, and have answered many of my questions by searching, so far so good, love this forum!!

I do have a couple of questions....

Quote Originally Posted by SPreston2001 View Post
    There are a few manufacturers who make free air subs but most people either scrap the stock subwoofer and add a aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk using a LOC or replace it with a used stock Bose subwoofer on ebay. Adding a subwoofer in you trunk will give you way better results than replacing your stock sub and is very easy to do when using a LOC. To remove the stock sub and you have to do is remove the metal grill and remove the plastic tabs that hold the woofer in place. I cant rememeber if you need to remove the tabs from the top or bottom of the sub but its pretty easy to remove.
    What's a LOC?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    If you look under the Tech Tips forum, I did a write up about replacing mine when it blew. You have to take the back seat out, lift the rear deck, and out it comes. There are a few dual 2 ohm free air 10 inch subs out there. I looked recently for a replacement for my son's Deville. I found another one, Rockford Fosgate P2D210 that is free air. The RE AUDIO SRX10D2 I installed earlir this year is still working fine. Much more robust than the original.
    Are you using the stock amp? I'm thinking I'm going to get the RF 2D210 with stock amp. Will this suffice?

TIA,

Des
    Ft. Walton Beach, FL

I used an aftermarket Amp, as the Stock Amp just doesn't have the power for a quality aftermarket Subwoofer, which is what I feel the RF 2D210 is. This Sub has 2-2ohm Voice Coils I believe, which gives you quite a few hookup options via series/parrallel. 50-250 watts, I would def. go with a aftermarket Amp. But the Stock Amp might suffice, You are taking a chance on blowing a nice Sub though, as underpower blows faster than overpower. You will need a Line-Out Converter as well if you go the Aftermarket Amp route, some Amps accept wires but RCA cables are best. I used the Converter. Here are instructions, all pretty simple, Just snip your Cad. Sub wires and hookup...---- http://www.ehow.com/how_5076523_conn...converter.html
    Walmart has/had a cheap Line-out converter that is better than Best Buy Expensive Converter.
    fyi, Sometimes (usually) I will buy my car Audo from a Pawn Shop for better prices, I feel the Alpine Mrp 500 Amp was the best buy for the money off ebay. I have found that most of the Pawn Shop guy's in the City know Subwoofer hookup pretty good as they buy/sell alot of Subwoofers/Amps, and they can give out good hookup/Power advice. Just don't buy what they sell untill you look up the Model on the Internet :P.

fyi, wait to see what Bigtones reply is, as if the Stock Amp has the power, then go with it. However.....In still advise the aftermarket Amp. A coworker that was in Car Audio Competition's advised me on the JL Audio 12w6v2-D4 Sub and the Alpine MRP500 Amp. They shake my Caddy's mirror so hard I can't see through it. Not very often though but wow, I am so glad I took his advice! But for the money if the RF 2D210 works with the Stock Sub, then I am sure it will sound nice, be careful though as I said, `Son's' want that Sub to BUMP HARD! So, that Sub might not last long cranked up wityh the Stock Amp.

Saltpeter9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

I'm hoping the stock amp will work, but if not we will have to look into an aftermarket amp. Thanks for the great response rmink, it really helped!

Actually the range is adjustable, usually 20hz to maybe 80 hz for Low Subs. My wish list (which I have already purchased just not installed) is to use my JL Audio 12" for low frequencies and use dual Audiobahn 8" for my mid-low frequencies in the trunk, Then I can use my 2 Kenwood DualMags in Front Doors and 2 Infinity Kappa's in Rear Doors for all upper Midrange Frequncies. - Wish Project, But I already have all the Equipment speakers/Amps....the wish part is taking the time to install it all. I usually install all Monster Cabling as well as new Tuner so it's a way tuff job. Maybe this winter, I hope.....wish....

Good Luck, I feel it will sound nice w/ stock. Take out rear seat...lift up rear panel...etc...not too hard at all, just gets a lil cramped working in the rear seat, then the trunk.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.