Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Car Audio For 90 Seville

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  IngeniusV3 
#1 ·
I am clueless to this. I know what I want to do, but I do not know where to begin. What I want to do is replace the speakers in my car and then replace the radio. I don't need anything super fancy or anything, but I do not know where to look. I don't even know what size speakers are in my car. Any help? Maybe a site that could tell me what is compatible.

Also, how hard or easy would it be to just replace them?

#3 ·
If you're a newbie to car stereo replacement, go to http://www.crutchfield.com, where you can enter your vehicle info (model, year, options) and the web site will tell you which head units fit, which require modification/adapters, and what speakers fit and where. If you order from there (the prices, especially on sale items, are competitive) and they even send you a 'how to" sheet for your model and year.

If there's a BestBuy in your area, they install what they sell. My stepson went there, got a JVC head unit for a Crown Vic, and 2 new rear speakers installed, for $180 out the door. Sounded great.

#4 ·
I am just curious if I would have to do anything special? Or would it be pretty much just taking the speakers out and using the wires that are right there, or if I would have to run some wires and do a bunch of stuff? Like I said, I only want to replace the ones in there. The front are definitely going (or just suck that bad) and the back could be replaced too.

#5 ·
Not really difficult - maybe just a bit tedious. If you want to keep the stock radio, then replacing the speakers, depending on how they're mounted, isn't too big a deal. On a '95, the back seat bottom had to be removed, the seat back unbolted (4 bolts - 2 in the trunk, and the other 2 at the bottom of the seat back), and then the rear deck panel comes out with 3 plastic push pins. the 6x9's were snapped in place with an adapter. Simply remove the 6x9's from the plastic panel (you might have to pry them out of the adapter - but do that carefully, as you'll need them for the new speakers). You may need to solder the speaker wires on to the factory harness, only because the plug may be built into the speaker. Repeat for the other 6x9. Now the doors - you'll need to remove the door panel, but the speaker can be simply unbolted, and replaced outright, using the factory wiring, probably without having to cut anything!

Replacing the head unit would require an adapter to fit a new, single DIN sized radio into the factory slot. Good news is that non-Bose factory harness can be used, and all you need to get is an adapter for this wiring harness ($10 or less on ebay). Color coding should match the new head unit, so solder/tape the wires from the adapter to your new unit's plug, bolt back in, and enjoy! Should be one weekend day's worth of work for YOU, and only a couple of hours for an experienced set of hands. (Less if only doing the speakers!)

#9 ·
most of the openings like the rear GM put the speakers in from the trunk this time when you put the new ones in put them from the interior down it will buy you some space. i know when i did my door speakers i had to break the factory plastic tabs off to get my 5 1/4 to fit in the doors. (you will see these tabs they are about 1/4 thick in the circle cutout) but they will fit no problem. you wont have this problem but on the devilles the front dash speaker is 4x6 and the aftermarket cutout is too small for the magent.. so i had to make it bigger. anymore questions post them and pics we can help

#10 ·
I don't have a circle cutout in my door. If that is what you mean. I have this bracket type thing that is screwed onto the door panel and then the speaker fits into that. If it wasn't going to possibly rain again today I would take the panel off again to take a better look at it. I think I know what I could do, but you are sure of the 6 1/2 for the front? I read somewhere else and it said 5 1/4?

#11 ·
in the seville it could be possible but in my deville it was 5 1/4 i would take the panel off and see to be exact i look at two different sites and i got either 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 so i would take the panel out first. i wish it i took pics when i did mine so i could show you . but i do remember i had a hard time getting it to fit.

#13 ·
Also, I need some help dealing with the speakers and factory radio... Before I installed the new radio, the right passenger speaker sounded horrible, it would crackle and everything. With the new radio installed, it wounds much much better. I am wondering does that mean my old radio has more power then my new radio? Or vice versa?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.