XBox 360 Installation in my Limo - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, XBox 360 Installation in my Limo in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I ordered up the 0 gauge wire, terminals and distribution blocks today. I'll do the big 3 along with the ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: XBox 360 Installation in my Limo

I ordered up the 0 gauge wire, terminals and distribution blocks today. I'll do the big 3 along with the inverter installation. Should be fun!

baller95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS & 07 STS-V - Black On Black

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    I ordered up the 0 gauge wire, terminals and distribution blocks today. I'll do the big 3 along with the inverter installation. Should be fun!
    Sweet! Take some pics! :P I wanna see this baby when its done!

Quote Originally Posted by baller95 View Post
    Sweet! Take some pics! :P I wanna see this baby when its done!
    I definitely will. I located a harness that comes through the right side firewall, by the kick panel. I can jam the 4 gauge wire through there. Running it under the carpet is a little tricky because the limo carpet is custom. It's glued down to the floor pan and rockers. I peeled it back once already for the TV installation and found that there's a conduit along the floor for wiring. There's no way the 4 gauge wire will fit in there so I'll have to run it along top. I don't think there's much chance of it getting damaged along there.

After looking at the battery terminals I got, they have one 0-gauge, one 4-gauge and 2 smaller gauge connections. So, in order to do what I want to do, I had to get a 0-gauge distribution block for the negative terminal and a 4-gauge distribution block for the positive terminal. This will allow me to get a 0-gauge ground to both the engine block and chassis, a 4-gauge ground to the inverter, a 0-gauge positive connection to the alternator, a 4-gauge connection to the starter motor and a 4-gauge connection to the inverter. It's a lot to jam under the hood, but I think I can do it.

If the Big 3 doesn't fix the voltage fluctuation, I'm going to replace the regulator. It's less than $20, versus $200 for an alternator. The alternator is putting out, I just have this fluctuation at idle. You can see it in the headlights, interior lights and on the TV screen.

I definitely will. I located a harness that comes through the right side firewall, by the kick panel. I can jam the 4 gauge wire through there. Running it under the carpet is a little tricky because the limo carpet is custom. It's glued down to the floor pan and rockers. I peeled it back once already for the TV installation and found that there's a conduit along the floor for wiring. There's no way the 4 gauge wire will fit in there so I'll have to run it along top. I don't think there's much chance of it getting damaged along there.

After looking at the battery terminals I got, they have one 0-gauge, one 4-gauge and 2 smaller gauge connections. So, in order to do what I want to do, I had to get a 0-gauge distribution block for the negative terminal and a 4-gauge distribution block for the positive terminal. This will allow me to get a 0-gauge ground to both the engine block and chassis, a 4-gauge ground to the inverter, a 0-gauge positive connection to the alternator, a 4-gauge connection to the starter motor and a 4-gauge connection to the inverter. It's a lot to jam under the hood, but I think I can do it.

If the Big 3 doesn't fix the voltage fluctuation, I'm going to replace the regulator. It's less than $20, versus $200 for an alternator. The alternator is putting out, I just have this fluctuation at idle. You can see it in the headlights, interior lights and on the TV screen.
    sounds good man ! And I guess replacing the regular could work, I never though of that!

Well I started the Big 3 stuff yesterday. I only got as far as approximating the lengths of wires and cutting them down to size. Running the 0-gauge is going to be harder than I thought. And I'm limited in my placement of the distribution blocks - having trouble finding a place for the ground block. I'll probably goof around with it some more today.

I also ordered up a new alternator. The "flickering" is getting worse. I can see it in my headlights driving along at night now. I also replaced all of the interior lamps with LEDs. It's A LOT brighter inside now (need all the light I can get with a black interior and 5% tint), but it also amplifies the "flickering". It's kind of disorienting. Hopefully the new alternator and "Big 3" will solve that for good.

Yea the wiring will be time consuming but it shouldn't be too hard, it's just really annoying opening panels and the carpet, etc to run the wire. I was really lucky when wiring my subs and amp in my 2000 DTS because the battery was in the back seat and I had to run about 5 - 6 feet or positive and 3 feet or ground 1/0 gauge wire. And if your flickering is getting worse then it surely means a dying alternator and with the big 3 done to the new alternator, it will most likely increase the life span of that alt because there's less strain. The LED sound great I wanna do that for my car as well, that should make a HUGE difference with keeping your cars voltage up and I can imagine how much brighter it is! I don't know if it's like this with your car too but the lights on the interior of my caddy are really dim, it's almost useless, but I like them because passengers or myself can drive with the lights on at night and it wont affect the other drivers.

The LED sound great I wanna do that for my car as well, that should make a HUGE difference with keeping your cars voltage up and I can imagine how much brighter it is! I don't know if it's like this with your car too but the lights on the interior of my caddy are really dim, it's almost useless, but I like them because passengers or myself can drive with the lights on at night and it wont affect the other drivers.
    That's the downside - I can't drive around with the interior lights on anymore. It's like daytime in the car - I can't see out the windshield with the interior lights on at night. It's mostly because of the dome lamp. I removed the stock bulb and put a 25-LED panel in its place. It's like the sun. The good thing is that the courtesy lamps above the doors can be operated individually if people need them.

The stock bulbs were useless with the black interior. The black just sucks up all the light. Unless you're sitting directly beneath them, they were of no value. I just need to do the map lights and the "puddle lamps" in the door panels. Those bulbs are on the way.

I'm going to wait until the new alternator gets here before messing with the Big 3 any further. Might as well do it all at once.

... The stock bulbs were useless with the black interior. The black just sucks up all the light. Unless you're sitting directly beneath them, they were of no value. I just need to do the map lights and the "puddle lamps" in the door panels. Those bulbs are on the way.

I'm going to wait until the new alternator gets here before messing with the Big 3 any further. Might as well do it all at once.
    Oh tell me about it! My car is black on black with rear 5% tint and the lights are useless, if anything it's brighter with the lights off haha!

Oh tell me about it! My car is black on black with rear 5% tint and the lights are useless, if anything it's brighter with the lights off haha!
    Yeah - the 5% makes it really dark inside, even during the day. Here's a pic at dusk:

The new alternator cleared up the "flickering" too. The back of the alternator was incorrect and didn't match up with one of the brackets, but the two big bolts that hold it in were okay. I'm gonna leave it as-is.

Holy #$%^ that is bright as hell! Now I definately want LED's in my car! And looks like the new alternator fixed everything.

Finally got the inverter installed today. I'm taking the car on a trip to Boston and needed to get the inverter installed quick for the Xbox. There was no easy way to get the wiring in the passenger side, so I ran it through an existing grommet on the driver's side. I put the inverter on the trans hump for now. It works great. The Xbox draws 150 watts continuous when it's turned on and draws 50 watts when it's shut off.

The 4 gauge wiring and 100 amp fuse are overkill, but I want to eventually put a sound system in it.

Pics:

Jim

Finally got the inverter installed today. I'm taking the car on a trip to Boston and needed to get the inverter installed quick for the Xbox. There was no easy way to get the wiring in the passenger side, so I ran it through an existing grommet on the driver's side. I put the inverter on the trans hump for now. It works great. The Xbox draws 150 watts continuous when it's turned on and draws 50 watts when it's shut off.

The 4 gauge wiring and 100 amp fuse are overkill, but I want to eventually put a sound system in it.

Pics:

Jim
    Not bad for a temp install!!

Thanks. It looks a bit messy because I have the carpet pulled back and the wiring hanging out. As I was searching for a way to run the 4-gauge wire down the passenger side of the car, I discovered that the carpet is soaking wet by the firewall. Turns out the A/C is draining inside the car. I need to reseal the heater box. It's one of those snowball-type jobs. One thing leads to another, and another, and another.....

Thanks. It looks a bit messy because I have the carpet pulled back and the wiring hanging out. As I was searching for a way to run the 4-gauge wire down the passenger side of the car, I discovered that the carpet is soaking wet by the firewall. Turns out the A/C is draining inside the car. I need to reseal the heater box. It's one of those snowball-type jobs. One thing leads to another, and another, and another.....
    Well, atleast you're finding out and fixing it before it gets worst!

UPDATE:

So, as you may know I sold my 44" stretch and got a 60" stretch. So I started over from an electronics perspective. This limo is better in that it has a partition and a seperate fuse panel installed behind the front passenger seat. It's fed by a 2 gauge cable directly from the battery. I can feed all my electronics from there, which makes it really easy.

The car has a separate audio system for the rear passengers, which I upgraded with a JVC KW-AVX640 receiver installed in the center of the car next to an ice chest (this car has a mini-bar with bottle and glass storage, too).

Now I'm working on the Big 3 upgrade, then on to the TV and Xbox. I got a 240-amp alternator from PowerBastards. Great price and a great alternator.

I got these killer wires for the Big 3:

They were like $100 from Innovative Wiring. I would've spent almost as much on wire and connectors and couldn't have done as good a job as he did.

I'm looking at LED-lit TVs this time since they draw hardly any power. I can get a "regular" in-home TV and power it with the inverter rather than go for a 12V LCD screen this time. The in-home TVs are cheaper and there's a lot more variety.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.