XBox 360 Installation in my Limo - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, XBox 360 Installation in my Limo in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Cool! thanks both for the info. I'm gonna drop the headliner today and run cable from the AV2 inputs on ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Re: XBox 360 Installation in my Limo

Cool! thanks both for the info.

I'm gonna drop the headliner today and run cable from the AV2 inputs on the TV to see how that works. I can tuck it under the seat if I don't wind up using it. That's the input that goes right to the TV and wouldn't put the Xbox sound through the audio system - only to headphones. For now, I really just want to see if my inverter power is clean enough to power the PS3 (and eventually the Xbox).

Ok - I've had some success.

I ran a cable from the AV2 input on the TV (the AV1 feed is connected to the Pioneer 3200DVD head unit).

It's not elegant, but it's good for now. I'm going to pop over to Lowe's later to see if they carry Leviton's black wall plates. There's plenty of room behind that "B" pillar trim to install a nice wall plate. It would look a little more sanitary.

The PS3 wouldn't show up on the screen. In my house, it's configured for HDMI. I suspect I'd have to change that in the house before I brought it out to the car to use the RCA outputs. I didn't, so I got the Wii instead.

Obviously I won't be permanently installing the Wii, but I wanted to make sure I at least had audio and video. I did. It looks good and the sound through the headphones is great. Using the headphones previously, they sounded crappy but it turns out it's the feed from the head unit. The level is really low for some reason. Configured this way, it won't go through the system in the car, but it's good for now.

Now that I know it can work, I'm going to order up some big wires for the inverter. I think I'm just going to mount the inverter up front in the driver's area on the transmission tunnel. No one sits in the middle anyway and that will minimize the 12V cable run.

As an aside, the PS3 is a power hog. It was drawing 230 watts without any game play. It threw my "820 watt peak" inverter into protect mode during one of the start-ups. Cheap inverter. The Xbox 360 draws a bit less, I think.

baller95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS & 07 STS-V - Black On Black

This is a great install! And you show probably drop in a really powerful inverter at once so u can use it in the future if you need to connect other electrical. I know this is off topic to caddy's but my dad has a Ford bus that we converted to a limousine/party bus, i did all the electrical, there 2 flat screen tv's 4 subwoofers, 2 amps, 2 coolers, bunch of neon and LED lights and the deck. The engine has 2 batteries, and theres 2 additional batters i installed in the back with isolators. The only problem is that the total system electric is about 6000 watts RMS and could go up to 12000W max, and I only have 1 high output alternator with stock wiring. Im thinking to do the "Big 3" in my case "The Big 4" cause of the two batteries in the engine and I'm going to make ALL electrical wires 0 gauge. I'll post up some pics later on, but yea

Quote Originally Posted by baller95 View Post
    This is a great install! And you show probably drop in a really powerful inverter at once so u can use it in the future if you need to connect other electrical. I know this is off topic to caddy's but my dad has a Ford bus that we converted to a limousine/party bus, i did all the electrical, there 2 flat screen tv's 4 subwoofers, 2 amps, 2 coolers, bunch of neon and LED lights and the deck. The engine has 2 batteries, and theres 2 additional batters i installed in the back with isolators. The only problem is that the total system electric is about 6000 watts RMS and could go up to 12000W max, and I only have 1 high output alternator with stock wiring. Im thinking to do the "Big 3" in my case "The Big 4" cause of the two batteries in the engine and I'm going to make ALL electrical wires 0 gauge. I'll post up some pics later on, but yea
    Thanks! I'm not sure what else I'll be running beyond the video games. I'm using 4 gauge wire to hook up the inverter so I don't have much headroom wattage-wise. On a 10-foot run, I can't really go much beyond 600W. Installing a second battery in the trunk will be costly, too, since I'd have to run 1/0 gauge wire to the trunk, get a proper box and vent for the battery, isolator, yadda yadda yadda. For now, I'm just gonna put the inverter up front and use a heavy-duty extension cord to get to the back to minimize resistance.

I might need a better alternator, or at least a good replacement. I noticed that even without much of a load, the lights and TV flicker with the engine running. I'm thinking the regulator in my current alternator is not doing its job.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    ... I might need a better alternator, or at least a good replacement. I noticed that even without much of a load, the lights and TV flicker with the engine running. I'm thinking the regulator in my current alternator is not doing its job.
    Hmm, I guess the alternator isn't is your problem? I know mechman has good alternators and you can get them custom made with how ever many amps you need ! What car is this limo anyways? My 2000 DTS has stock alternator and wiring and i have around 1200W max power for my entire system and I still have a constant battery voltage of usually 14.4V !

Edit*

Also if you want some good 0 gauge wires you can check these out, the prices are pretty good for the lengths !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...x=0+gauge+wire
    http://electronics.shop.ebay.ca/Car-...&_sop=12&_sc=1

Hmm, I guess the alternator isn't is your problem? I know mechman has good alternators and you can get them custom made with how ever many amps you need ! What car is this limo anyways?
    It's a '96 Fleetwood, 44" stretch. It has an LT1 with the stock alternator, as far as I know. I notice when it's idling that all the lights flicker kind of with the engine RPM. I can snag a 200 amp alternator from just about anywhere. Chevy 350 parts are a dime a dozen, which is the main reason I bought the car.

Pics:

Hey thats pretty nice ! And yes, I guess you should upgrade the alt if it's a stock, but like I said, the big 3 would make a huge difference too !

Hey thats pretty nice ! And yes, I guess you should upgrade the alt if it's a stock, but like I said, the big 3 would make a huge difference too !
    Thanks!

The alternator appears to be stock, but I dunno. The coachbuilder may have put a bigger alternator in it. The only thing it has that would draw additional current is the rear HVAC system. The thing blows gale force winds, but I don't think it's a huge additional draw.

So I'm going to order up Cobra's inverter installation kit. It's only $24 with a total of 20 feet of 4-gauge wire (10 feet of red, 10 feet of black). 10 feet of wire will get me where I need to go. Then I just need misc. stuff like battery terminals, fuse, fuse holder, etc. Once I get the inverter installed I can move on to finding a used Xbox 360.

Once I have the aftermarket terminals, I'll do the "big 3" too!

Thanks! ... a total of 20 feet of 4-gauge wire (10 feet of red, 10 feet of black). 10 feet of wire will get me where I need to go. Then I just need misc. stuff like battery terminals, fuse, fuse holder, etc. Once I get the inverter installed I can move on to finding a used Xbox 360.

Once I have the aftermarket terminals, I'll do the "big 3" too!
    No problem ! And would 10 feet each way be enough for a limo ?! Where the battery located?

No problem ! And would 10 feet each way be enough for a limo ?! Where the battery located?
    The battery is in the engine compartment. I had planned to put the inverter on the transmission tunnel in the driver compartment, sort of under the dash.

But...it would be more convenient to put it under the middle row of seats. It wouldn't extend the 12V run much and would be a cleaner installation. The complexity is this: the seat moves. There is an area that I've yet to measure that will always be covered by the middle seat. I need to install the Xbox and inverter under there in such a way that when the middle seat is facing forward I don't compromise rear passenger leg room and so that middle-row passengers aren't stepping on the Xbox and inverter. When the seat faces backwards there is a ton of room under and behind it. Here's how it works:

So there is an area under there that is always covered by the seat. I just have to find that area.

Ohh that sounds good ! I guess you wont need 10 ft of ground wire as you can just ground it to any bare metal on the car.

Ohh that sounds good ! I guess you wont need 10 ft of ground wire as you can just ground it to any bare metal on the car.
    I read that in order to minimize noise that I should run the ground directly to the battery. The rationale, supposedly, is that all the other noisy things (like turn signals, blower motors, etc.) are grounded to the chassis. I dunno. I already ordered the cable anyway. The Cobra kit got bad reviews - people say the copper is junk. I got some high quality stuff from Parts Express for twice as much $$ instead, but it should be worth it. Running 12-15 feet could introduce a lot of resistance if I don't use good cable.

Now to scour Craigslist for an Xbox....

Jim

Haha yea that is true, and it is important because you want clean power for your xbox, tv, sound, etc. But I've never had any issue before though so just saying :P

Progress:

After running down a couple of scams on Cragislist for Xboxes, I decided that my money was better spent on a used unit from Gamestop, with a warranty and all. According to my inverter, the Xbox draws 65 watts turned off and about 280 when it's on.

I need to get to the bottom of my voltage fluctuation problem. Under a load (i.e., with the Xbox powered up), the fluctuation is pretty bad. The brightness on the TV fluctuates so much it's annoying and it can't be good for it. Above idle it smooths out, but most of the gaming is going to be done at idle. I'll start with the "Big 3" before I drop a lot of coin on a new alternator.

The 4 gauge wires came in for the inverter. I got the wrong sized "wafer" fuse for the fuse holder. Apparently there are "AFS" (small) and "ANL" (huge) wafer fuses. Live and learn I guess. I need to find a nice big hole on the passenger side firewall to run this cable through. I'm still on the fence about the placement of the inverter. The 4 gauge wire is so huge it would be a pain to run under the carpet to the back, but that's the best place for the inverter. I'll have to think about it some more.

That's all for now....

... The 4 gauge wire is so huge it would be a pain to run under the carpet to the back, but that's the best place for the inverter. I'll have to think about it some more.

That's all for now....
    Well its good that the wire is big for a 4 gauge! And you can figure it out, but you're going to have to take a lot of things like the carpet and stuff out. And once you do the Big 3 I can gurantee you'll see a big difference! And when you do the Big 3 make sure you get 0 gauge!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.