02 Deville wiring subwoofer and amp (need help with LOC)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, 02 Deville wiring subwoofer and amp (need help with LOC) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, trying to set up this system in my 02 Deville..The system is two 12inch xplods and a jensen ...
    Cubanyoshi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville

02 Deville wiring subwoofer and amp (need help with LOC)

Hey guys, trying to set up this system in my 02 Deville..The system is two 12inch xplods and a jensen amp.. Heard this system pound the day before it was removed from my buddies car and he never had a problem with it.. I have the amp connected to power and ground and have a remote wire running to the sunshade fuse (amp turns on and off as it should).. The stock subwoofer was blown so I cut the 4 wires as close to the woofer as possible to give myself a good amount of wire between the stock connector and the loc.. Took the four wires and put them into a Scosche SLC-4 Car Stereo Output Converter and set it to Line Out.. I am currently getting no sound to the subwoofers..

Now the questions.. Why is there four wires and what is the correct way to connect them to the Converter? Here is a link to the product page of the converter http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/product/999

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rzambrano is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS
    If I had to take a guess, the four wires would be L+, L-, R+, R-.

Simply after, run a pair of RCA's from the line converter's "OUTPUT" to the amp's "INPUT".

Theoretically, if your OEM system is anything like my STS's Bose system, then it is correct to assume that the signal from those four wires only include frequencies below a certain range, perhaps

Re: 02 Deville wiring subwoofer and amp (need help with LOC)

Yea per the pdf I connected them in the correct order +,-,+,- and had them working when I had the remote wire connected straight to the battery (it was easier to test this way, that way if it was unsuccessful I could just pull the remote wire off and come back inside without having to worry about draining the battery) well sure enough when I turned off the car to move the remote wire to the correct fuse, the subs would not operate.. I have tried to put the remote wire back on the battery and every combination thereof.. This thing is starting to piss me off.. Thinking it may be the LOC but why did it work completely before? urrrggghh

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

i had a deville and dts before and i ran into a similar situation.

in order for an LOC to work, you MUST have a functioning speaker to draw a signal from. i know it sounds dumb but its true. I ended up putting a small really cheap 3.5 in the trunk, ran it from the subwoofer wiring, then ran the loc from it.

ill look up my old thread

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...stock-sub.html

not the original post, but references it as well...im still looking

doubled oops

Ahh I see that would make sense but I woner what was going on the one or two times I got it to power the subs.. Hmm.. Also I know very little about subs but I am trying to use both channels coming from the sub to power two subs.. Does that mean I would need to buy another dual voice coil subwoofer to attach the wires to and then splice into them to power the subs? Also why hasn't every single person on here that has added subwoofers to there devilles had this same problem?

Anyone with technical knowhow or electricians know how to achieve this "tricking the amp thing" into thinking there is a something connected to it without having to wire up another speaker?

Ohh and thanks again Offthehorseceo, I searched for 30 mins yesterday and did not find any of those threads that the original link lead me to.. I seen the 2 ohm 50 watt resistor solution but Im not sure how that works to be completely honest with you.. How many would I need and where would I connect them and to what? In between the stock harness plug and the loc? On which wire(s)? Confused

well, apparently, the original sub is a dual 2ohm voice coil subwoofer.
    the resistors act like one of the voice coils by each providing an impedance of 2 ohm and being able to handle up to 50 watts.

you would treat them like a regular speaker. mount them somewhere, then run the positive and negative wires from the harness to the positive and negative terminals of the resistor, then from the resistor terminals, to the LOC
    heres a quick crude drawing:

do this again for the other voice coil or "channel"
    if you go with the resistors, you dont need to wire in another speaker.

also, i got mine to work a couple of times without having to wire in another speakers, but it would only work until i turned the car off again

Damn ok Im going to try to located these resistors, found a some online that were 2 ohm and 50 watts but the tolerance is +/- 10 percent, which I come to find out has to do with accuracy so does that mean that these should not be chosen? I found some that were +/- 1 percent but the price was a lot more and the shipping time sucked..

+/- 10% should be fine

i dont think that stock amp actually puts out 50 watts at all times

Ok found a website that sold them for dirt cheap http://www.digikey.com/ its a huge electronic component online store.. Found what I needed and for $14 incl. shipping I am very pleased... Are you sure thats the correct way to wire them? I don't know a whole lot about wiring but I just want to make sure I'm not going to fry my car.. Do I need to mount the resistors to the sub box or anything like that?

if the sub box works for you mount them there, if the rear "shelf" works for you mount them there, if you want to leave them dangling, leave them dangling

treat the resistors like speakers, basically they are "dummy" speaker. so yes wire them like i said

Ok, received the resistors in the mail today, connected them with quick connectors and voila system is hitting perfectly.. I can not thank you enough OffTheHorseCeo for pointing me in the right connection and helping me through the steps.. I wish I would have taken pictures of the step by step and did a write up or something but my camera phone sucks.. But this is definitely the fix, I don't see why you would want a blown sub connected and rattling when you could by the two resistors for $12 shipped to your door..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.