Add XM to 2003 STS with Navigation? How?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Add XM to 2003 STS with Navigation? How? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, Is there a way to add XM to my Nav head unit? Will it just appear if I connect ...
    kippjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 ESV & 2008 Escalade

Add XM to 2003 STS with Navigation? How?

Hi,
    Is there a way to add XM to my Nav head unit? Will it just appear if I connect the right hardware?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

Re: Add XM to 2003 STS with Navigation? How?

I would think so. Look for a connector in the trunk on the driver's side near where the manual fuel door release is located. I'd think Cadillac would still put the harness/plug there even if XM isn't ordered.

If so, if you happen to find an XM tuner box from another Cadillac on eBay or somewhere, be advised that the VIN number is built-in to even the XM tuner! You'll have to have it reprogrammed for your STS. My factory XM tuner quit working in my 03 STS (it just keeps saying "Updating XM" forever). I replaced it with an aftermarket unit (I think it's made by Terk). It's a little quirky, especially with the Driver 1/2 memory settings the STS has, but for the price (around $50) it was less than reprogramming a factory XM tuner.

fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

Kipp - I might have to eat my words on this one - we just bought an 02 STS (already have an 03 STS with factory XM & NAV) and while I espected the 02 to have the same wire harness in the trunk that the 03 has, I was disappointed to find no such harness or wiring in the trunk for XM.

Therefore, it appears we'll need to access the wiring which goes to the CD changer in the console in order to attach the XM there (it will need to connect to the DATA wire (purple) as well as the Left & Right signal wires. Other than power & ground, that SHOULD work!! Then, the only question left is if there's room to put the XM receiver in the console area or let it be in the trunk and just run wires up to the console. Since I'll be doing this for real in the next couple of weeks, I'll report on how it turns out. If anyone else has experience in this area and would like to add some comments, feel free! Doug

Hi Doug, any luck?

I checked my trunk and it appears the harness is there. Now to find an XM tuner box that will work. Where might I find one???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.