Got the Denso Nav working in the '99 STS.. with issues.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, Got the Denso Nav working in the '99 STS.. with issues. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just finished the Denso Nav conversion on my '99 STS. Made the harness with AUX A/V inputs, reset TheftLock ...
    brougham96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1973 Sedan deVille, 2004 White Diamond deVille DHS

Got the Denso Nav working in the '99 STS.. with issues.

I just finished the Denso Nav conversion on my '99 STS. Made the harness with AUX A/V inputs, reset TheftLock by pulling battery and re-loading firmware (thanks to N*Caddy for helping with that). Now I have a few issues, some bigger than others.

Biggest one:
    -DVD/CD player only works when cold. It was -8 F (Yep, it's Minnesota) tonight, and I was able to play a DVD for about 5 minutes before it went black. At that point it would not recognize any DVD. It would accept it, but the DVD source option will remained snowed out. If I insert a CD, it will recognize it as a CD and find the track info, however there is no audio when it plays. The time ticks up as normal, but no sound. I don't yet have the GPS antenna or the map DVD, but I'm afraid the radio won't be able to recognize the map DVD most of the time.

-Ground looping/Serial data line noise on Aux input. I've tried grounding the audio signal both to the ground wire to the radio and the actual radio chassis itself, both to no avail. I've used proper shielded twisted pair wire (Belden 9451). I think the radio itself is adding it.

-Loss of control sometimes. About one out of evey 6 times I start the car, the radio seems to not be talking to the Class 2 network. Sometimes it wont light up at all, as if it thinks the car is off, other times it will be stuck on the Cadillac splash screen and won't respod to any buttons or controls on the front panel. The steering wheel volume controld still works, however. If I shut off the car and wait for RAP to expire, and restart, it is usually fine.

Anybody seen these problems or have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Got the Denso Nav working in the '99 STS.. with issues.

Assuming you wired correctly the data wires (witch is basically one to one in the adapter) F6 and E6 to F6 and E6 (well E1 - harness side too - for the CD changer), the only thing that comes in my mind is a defective HU.
    Does it post the missing GPS signat DTC?

Yes. I'm getting the following codes from the IRC:
    U1000 CURRENT (Class 2 Communication Malfunction)
    U2150 CURRENT (Navigation ECU Gateway Communication Error)
    B2462 CURRENT (GPS Signal Error)
    B2463 CURRENT (Navigation CD Player - No Disk)

I'm probably going to try to return the HU to where i bought it from. They said it was bench tested, but without a working DVD drive, it's pretty useless. Especially since the navigation is DVD based. But if I can return this one and get a new one, I hope I dont get these same Class 2 problems.

I did check my harness pin for pin with a multimeter before installing it in the car.

I have not yet ran the VSS wire, as I am waiting for my GPS antenna to arrive (so I only have to pull my dash pad off once). Not sure if that would cause any problems.
    Also, I do not have a CD changer hooked up. Don't really need it. Could this be causing Data problems because the HU is expecting to see the changer?

Nope, the CD changer should make NO difference.
    Take your ohmmeter and test the F6 and E6 wires from DIM to HU, and just for the fun of it from the data port connector to the HU. AT LEAST one of the wires should have continuity.
    For the CD changer you should run on the male side of the adapter harness a wire from either E6 or F6 to E1, basically you extend your car data port to what use to be the E&D data line for the CD Changer.

B2462 CURRENT (GPS Signal Error)
    B2463 CURRENT (Navigation CD Player - No Disk)
    Are absolutely normal.

U1000 CURRENT (Class 2 Communication Malfunction)
    U2150 CURRENT (Navigation ECU Gateway Communication Error)
    Are your problem, if you are 100% positive the F6 and E6 wires are good in the adapter then return the HU.

Too bad you are not closer to Toronto, you could have tested my NAV unit to make sure the communication is working. On Jan 22-nd I am in Detroit but still toooooo far.

The U2150 and B2463 both went to history when I put in a nav DVD. The other thing I noticed is I can not set the clock at all. Still don't have the GPS antenna, so no GPS time, but it will not let me set it by hand.

You don't have full communication...

klew122 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DHS

I have a similar problem, if it is the HU, I can't afford that. Took the amp apart, may replace that to see if has an effect, if not, just re-sell the amp. Have not had a tech II scan yet, I have a feeling it would be little help other than deffective HU. U2150 and U1000

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nav-radio.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.