LCD Monitor Fluctuates with Voltage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Audio, Video and Security Systems Discussion, LCD Monitor Fluctuates with Voltage in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi all, I just put a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD head unit and a cheap TView 24" monitor in the back of ...
    turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

LCD Monitor Fluctuates with Voltage

Hi all,

I just put a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD head unit and a cheap TView 24" monitor in the back of my Fleetwood limo. The monitor has a "noise filter" in-line in the power wiring. I hooked the power for the monitor up to the same power supply as the head unit.

When I really crank it up, I can see the video on the 24" monitor fluctuate with the bass. I assume that this is because of the power draw from the head unit. Would using a different circuit for the monitor help? I don't want to hack the thing apart again if it won't help.

Here's a vid (doesn't show the fluctuation I'm talking about):

http://www.youtube.com/v/bbGyvpF99M4&hl

TIA,
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

Re: LCD Monitor Fluctuates with Voltage

ok i don't know what you have as for amps and such for a power drain. but i believe the issue is this. your factory wiring for your HU is designed to power your factory radio. now you replaced it with a aftrmarket not a real problem. but now you tapped into your HU wiring harness and added a tv . you are taking a already low voltage power line and adding strain to the wire. remember back in science class when you had one light bulb hooked up to a battery and then when you added more the lights were dim same concept. so wire your tv to another power source. i would tap into the fuse box . i would use a circuit that can be used when the car is in acc like cir lighter fuse or ac fuse . make sure you fuse the tv positive lead before you tap into the fuse post any questions

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    ok i don't know what you have as for amps and such for a power drain. but i believe the issue is this. your factory wiring for your HU is designed to power your factory radio. now you replaced it with a aftrmarket not a real problem. but now you tapped into your HU wiring harness and added a tv . you are taking a already low voltage power line and adding strain to the wire. remember back in science class when you had one light bulb hooked up to a battery and then when you added more the lights were dim same concept. so wire your tv to another power source. i would tap into the fuse box . i would use a circuit that can be used when the car is in acc like cir lighter fuse or ac fuse . make sure you fuse the tv positive lead before you tap into the fuse post any questions
    That's kind of what I figured. I don't have any amps or anything, but the new head unit is definitely more powerful than the stock one. I guess it's a bigger drain than the circuit was designed to handle.

I can run the power lead right to the fuse box, with an inline fuse like you suggested. It's a job for a warmer day, though....

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

Yea just pull the fuse you choose to tap into get 3/4 inches of 16 guage wire and push the wire in when you push the fuse in. A 20a fuse should be good. After that ground it to the biggest part of the chasis u can find. Shorter the ground the better. I would reccomend putting a switch to be able to turn it on while driving but its your call on that

Quote Originally Posted by still_walkin View Post
    Yea just pull the fuse you choose to tap into get 3/4 inches of 16 guage wire and push the wire in when you push the fuse in. A 20a fuse should be good. After that ground it to the biggest part of the chasis u can find. Shorter the ground the better. I would reccomend putting a switch to be able to turn it on while driving but its your call on that
    Thanks. It has a power switch on it, and a remote so I'm good there.

I have it grounded to a huge bolt in the passenger kick panel - where there's a bunch of other grounds.

I think I left enough slack in the power lead to get over to the fuse box, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.