Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ok guys serious problem with my Security System need help fast. (1990 Deville)

14K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  Forgoten214 
#1 ·
Ok here is what is happening. Sometimes randomly I go to start my car and the security system will engage and will not let me start my car. I've tried everything from disconnecting the battery and certain wires under the hood on the vehicle. There is usually nothing I can do to fix this problem. After about 45 minutes the vehicle security light came off and allowed me to start the car. I'm not sure what its about but I noticed when I purchased the car it came with several ECUs in the trunk. Maybe the previous owner had similar issues. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. I hope I can because I figure something like this I might have to go to a dealer for. I certainly hope not though.

Any help at all or if anyone else has experienced problems like this please let me know. This has happened to me 3 times now I'm pretty aggravated and fustrated with this problem. :rant2:

Thanks again in advance.

#36 ·
They want me to bring it in to look at it for 80 bucks an hour. I don't mind spending 80 dollars an hour if its to FIX the car not diagnostics. I already know what's wrong with it already. There's only 2 Cadillac service centers within 30 miles of me which is odd. When you tell them you have a 90 DeVille they don't even really want to know ya.

I'm going to bring it in Wensday if I can't find another solution until then. I'd like to bypass it at this point. Considering how old and crappy the system is. It's not really any use these days.

#44 ·
Yea but how many wires are there? How do I know I'm putting the resistors into the correct line? Do I need any special tools?

Yea Easton has it's perks and such like any area. The mechanics around here are not really that intelligent to be honest. Most the people around here don't drive Caddys and if they do they're either brand new or are really shot to hell.

I just hate it when mechanics try to hike up the price just because it's a Cadillac.

The best price I found to change the spark plugs are 100+the plugs. I want to change them myself but they're difficult. I must be an idiot if I can't change my own spark plugs. :sigh::helpless:

#45 ·
$100+plugs is a fair price... go buy your own plugs online or locally (they shouldn't be that expensive)

as for the VATS bypass - i tried to explain it above - i know it's a bit confusing so let me try again a (hopefully) different way

there's two wires that are in an open circuit until you put your key in the ignition... the chip in the key bridges a gap and completes the circuit

you can bypass the circuit anywhere along those two wires (even all the way back up into the dash) by inserting your resistors as if they were the key completing the circuit from one half of the circuit to the next and you just forget about the rest of the circuit (you're bypassing it) as it goes up the column to the ignition cyl

#47 ·
well there is a possibility that you have a failure in your instrument cluster (or security module - i'm not sure if that module is integrated into the cluster or not)

that is a possibility (although slight) but i would want to make sure that the readings were really different

often what looks to be the same settings is actually not... make sure you know how to use the tools or can find someone who does

btw, i'll probably be in lancaster in about a month

#48 ·
How would I be able to check for sure for a definite reading? I been trying to figure out how to use the electric meter until I finally gave up and returned it to lowe's. Other one's was doing the same thing.

Oh cool, Lancaster is nice. I been to a few shows and such there. It's about an hour from where I am at. Want to come visit me and bypass it for me? :sneaky: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.